Why Alkaline batteries for Estes Launch Controller?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of them can be charged directly by plugging the cell into a USB cable, with no other charger at all.

Yes, that's another rechargeable lithium AA cell option to try. I'm not very familiar with those, but I think they should work for basic Estes launch controllers, like the Electron Beam. My guess is that they'll be easier to charge (and might be a bit cheaper) than the Tenavolts, but could have less capacity and be heavier. Increased weight probably isn't a concern, but reduced capacity might be.

I've only used my Tenavolts for about a dozen launches. When I finally have to recharge them, I'll provide an update.

Oh, another benefit of lithium cells in launch controllers over alkaline or NiMHs: better cold weather performance.

I use Eneloops almost exclusively for any device in my home that requires a AA or AAA cell. But certain devices really benefit from the extra 0.1 to 0.3 in extra volts per cell, so that's where my Tenavolts come in.

Yes, that's another rechargeable lithium AA cell option to try. I'm not very familiar with those, but I think they should work for basic Estes launch controllers, like the Electron Beam. My guess is that they'll be easier to charge (and might be a bit cheaper) than the Tenavolts, but could have less capacity and be heavier. Increased weight probably isn't a concern, but reduced capacity might be.

I've only used my Tenavolts for about a dozen launches. When I finally have to recharge them, I'll provide an update.

Oh, another benefit of lithium cells in launch controllers over alkaline or NiMHs: better cold weather performance.

I use Eneloops almost exclusively for any device in my home that requires a AA or AAA cell. But certain toys really benefit from the extra 0.1 to 0.3 in extra volts per cell, so that's where my Tenavolts come in.
Some of those lithiums claim to have higher capacity (which is given in milliwatt-hours) than the Tenavolt cells.

Yeah, before rocketry re-entered and subsequently took over my life I was heavily into electric-powered RC airplanes. I started back when the best thing to power them was a GE 550 mAh 1/2sub-C NiCd, and went mostly inactive about five or six years into the revolution caused by Li-Poly batteries and to a lesser extent cheap brushless motors and controllers. Cold weather flying really showed the performance degradation and yes, Li-Polys seemed to do better on a frosty morning than nickel-based batteries did.

But coming from the electric RC realm, that is why both my club's system and my personal three-pad system (along with the Estes PSII controller) are powered by 3s Li-Poly battery packs. With essentially no self-discharge and the drain to fire an igniter or three lasting less than a second, charging them once a year is overkill.

I've had the same set of Duracells in the Electron Beam in my take-it-to-the-beach flight box and it's probably flown a dozen rockets over the past two years, and did just fine a couple of weeks ago when I most recently used it.

With essentially no self-discharge and the drain to fire an igniter or three lasting less than a second, charging them once a year is overkill.
How do they handled being near-fully charged (and not fully cycled) for extended periods of time? I heard that's killer for lithium-based rechargeable cells.

When I first got into R/C, it was when NiCd was king and NiMH was just breaking into the hobby. I remember getting 4 minute flight times with my indoor R/C micro heli and being happy with that. Or getting 8 minutes with a 1700 mah SC NiCd pack in my 1/10 R/C truck.

These "kids" with lithium cells have no idea how good they have it. :D

I've had the same set of Duracells in the Electron Beam in my take-it-to-the-beach flight box and it's probably flown a dozen rockets over the past two years

That reminds me about another benefit of lithium cells (primary or rechargeable): no worry about leakage while in storage...or at least a far lower risk of leakage compared to alkalines.

How do they handled being near-fully charged (and not fully cycled) for extended periods of time? I heard that's killer for lithium-based rechargeable cells.
Well, as it turns out, the cheap packs from HobbyKing (Zippy, Rhino) apparently don't like it very much. The packs I got for both the club system and my 3-pad system are pretty badly puffed. They're still doing what I ask of them, but I'm going to have to replace them. When I do I think I'll just bring them to 60-70% state of charge and leave them there. That will still be plenty of voltage (and of course current delivery) for firing igniters.

I do have a 3s pack of Kokam 2000s that I got in early 2005, and fitted a balance lead to in mid 2006 which is just fine. The other pack of similar vintage I just discovered was also fairly puffed. *sigh*

When I first got into R/C, it was when NiCd was king and NiMH was just breaking into the hobby. I remember getting 4 minute flight times with my indoor R/C micro heli and being happy with that. Or getting 8 minutes with a 1700 mah SC NiCd pack in my 1/10 R/C truck.

These "kids" with lithium cells have no idea how good they have it. :D
Indeed! The first lithiums I put in an airplane were cylindrical cells lithium ion (I forget the size, much smaller than the ubiquitous 18650 cells), but they would fly a GWS Tiger Moth for half an hour.

That reminds me about another benefit of lithium cells (primary or rechargeable): no worry about leakage while in storage...or at least a far lower risk of leakage compared to alkalines.
I've pretty much given up on Kirkland Signature AAs in anything that might get left for a long time. I've had far less issue with Duracells in that regard.

Back