Who's flying their Saturn's in July?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedleytedley

Reaction score
I'm dusting off my old Estes Saturn 5 for a launch on the 19th. It's probably 20 years old. I bought it built from E-bay with a big Patriot and a Maniac with a still cam. I wonder how many Saturn 5 rockets will be flying this month, there must be hundreds at least in flying condition.
I'll post a report of my flight here when it flies and I invite other users to as well. Ted

I am; it'll be my vintage Estes K-36 Saturn - V (but five engine cluster). Will also fly my Dr. Zooch Saturn I SA-5 too (if I can finish the build before July 11th).......

Well that is three at least that will launch. Your five motor cluster sounds pretty cool. Is it the 24mm+4x18mm or the 5x24mm? I'll be using an AT E-15 for my single 24mm mmt. Ted

Well that is three at least that will launch. Your five motor cluster sounds pretty cool. Is it the 24mm+4x18mm or the 5x24mm? I'll be using an AT E-15 for my single 24mm mmt. Ted

Right now I'm looking at an E9-4 for the core, and the long burning Quest C6's for the four outboards.....

Getting my 1969 edition 1/100 Centuri Saturn V (KS-12) ready to go. Main thing is, I gotta scout out a site that is 100% free of rocket-eating trees. :y::y:

Just for fun, I'll fire up my Roachwerks Saturn 1B and my Saturn Press Saturn V. Think I have a MMX Saturn V in the box, too.

Last edited:
I will hopefully have my PMC Saturn V ready to fly on the 11th or 12th..It will be a 5 motor cluster, 24mm core with 4 18mm outboards..I will also fly my Dr Zooch 'ant scale' Saturn V on a C6-5 - always puts in good flights for me..;)

I plan to fly my 5-motor cluster Saturn V today at our launch at Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA. I refurbished it this past week - in other words, I glued the escape tower back on and cleaned the dust off of it. I built it @1994 and only flew it one time, @1997 I think. I've recorded the actual Apollo 11 countdown, from about 90 seconds to launch to about 1 minute into the flight, which I hope to play over the PA system as the countdown for the model. Now, with all of that hype, we all know what's going to happen........:y:

That's eight so far plus I'll be flying my Semroc Saturn 1B to make nine. Ted

We'll be flying 2 of our 3, a single engine and the 5 engine. The 3 stage 11 engine version is retired but might make it for a display, depending on available space. Our Section is combining a 40th celebration with a night launch so we're hoping to bring the house or at least most of it.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

I'm planning to fly my Neubauer Rockets 1/396th scale Saturn 1B, if I get the fins on and recovery system installed (boy, that sounds impressive if you don't know what it really means! ;) ) before July 1tth.

Instead of paint, I've finished the model with black and white Trim Monokote, the kind with the adhesive backing. It looks better than it would have if I *had* painted it. This is the first time I've used this finishing technique, but it won't be the last.

I plan to fly my 5-motor cluster Saturn V today at our launch at Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA. I refurbished it this past week - in other words, I glued the escape tower back on and cleaned the dust off of it. I built it @1994 and only flew it one time, @1997 I think. I've recorded the actual Apollo 11 countdown, from about 90 seconds to launch to about 1 minute into the flight, which I hope to play over the PA system as the countdown for the model. Now, with all of that hype, we all know what's going to happen........:y:

Despite 10-15mph winds, the old girl flew great today. Busted up the escape tower, of course, but enough is left to fix up and fly again in 10 years to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. The Apollo 11 countdown recording playing over the PA system really added to the moment - everyone got a charge out of that. Due to a comedy of errors, there are no pics :confused2:, but all went well and according to plan.

I hope to fly mine at the July 18 CMASS. It's the 30th anniversary edition that took me 10 years to build. I did convert it to 5 motors. 4x13mm and 1 24mm.

EDIT:

Hey I also have my Neubauer Rockets 1/396th scale SV. I'll launch it also!

Last edited:
Despite 10-15mph winds, the old girl flew great today. Busted up the escape tower, of course, but enough is left to fix up and fly again in 10 years to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. The Apollo 11 countdown recording playing over the PA system really added to the moment - everyone got a charge out of that. Due to a comedy of errors, there are no pics :confused2:, but all went well and according to plan.

I've never been able to understand how the LES gets busted up on the Apollo based models; since I've been flying model rockets starting in 1969, I've never had the LES get damaged or broken in all of the Apollo Little Joes, Saturn 1-B's and Saturn - V's (only one Saturn - V lawn darted when the engine mount blew out -- that was in 1970). The same goes for the Mercury Redstones (both Estes vintage and Centuri kits). Maybe I've been lucky all these years..... :D

I used the recovery harness on the upper portion of the model and a 24-inch parachute. It landed OK but was dragged across the ground by the breeze. First thing to go is always the LES. You have led a charmed life!

Dang - it was a picture perfect flight!

Sounds good :)
Cheers
fred

That's 13 intended so far with one launched. Sorry to hear about your LES. I've given up rebuilding mine as the only time it survived was on a water landing.:eek: It drifted into a 2 or 3 acre construction drainage pond. I was stripped to skivvies and into that muddy pond in a hurry. Fortunately it survived with no ill effects. Ted

That's 13 intended so far with one launched. Sorry to hear about your LES. I've given up rebuilding mine as the only time it survived was on a water landing.:eek: It drifted into a 2 or 3 acre construction drainage pond. I was stripped to skivvies and into that muddy pond in a hurry. Fortunately it survived with no ill effects. Ted
Hi ted,
I applaud your determination:wave: How is your satv powered and what do you use for recovery? Send a PM if you wish or plop it in here :)
:cheers:
Fred

My Saturn 5 is a single 24mm. I use AT-E15 or 30 depending on availability. I used the sling recovery for the upper section at first but still had tower damage. The uppermost transition was creased and SM thrusters were missing so I later replaced the transition and CSM with a Heller 1/100 CSM omitting the sling. Maybe I'll replace the tower with the Moldin' Oldies solid version and go back to the sling. Ted

My tower usually looses the little escape rocket but thats it. I use a 30 inch nylon chute for the main body and a 24 inch for the upper portion. All are protected by a nomex blanket hooked up to the main chute. Glueing on the little rocket is no big deal. I use 4 C6-5 and 1 D12-5 in the centre. Works pretty well:) I think you are correct in that the modin oldies tower would work well. I still use a sling for the upper portion. The sight of it going up generally makes up for the problems but it helps to be a little crazy :cyclops: as i am on my third one now :)
Cheers
Fred

I did some work on my Estes K-36 Saturn - V this evening in preparation for the upcoming launch. As you might expect, it's quite tail heavy. I've added three ounces of play dough weight in the upper section and it still needs a little more to be balanced properly. So far the weight (without the parachutes) is at about 18.25 oz., but I will be using the Centuri slip on clear fins for flight for added margin of stability. Pics of the model as taken a short while ago below......

Saturn - V (K-36) Apollo - 11 Anniversary Celebration 001.jpg

Saturn - V (K-36) Apollo - 11 Anniversary Celebration 004.jpg

Saturn - V (K-36) Apollo - 11 Anniversary Celebration 003.jpg

Saturn - V (K-36) Apollo - 11 Anniversary Celebration.jpg

That is one pretty Saturn 5. I like the CSM detail and the rocket bells on the motors is a nice touch. I hope you're not balancing it with spent engines. I made that mistake with my NIke-Ajax and was very lucky to recover it intact. Ted

That is one pretty Saturn 5. I like the CSM detail and the rocket bells on the motors is a nice touch. I hope you're not balancing it with spent engines. I made that mistake with my NIke-Ajax and was very lucky to recover it intact. Ted

Oh no, those are "live" E9 & C6's. I've thought over the engine combination overnight and will more likely settle with using a D12-3 for the core and four C6-3 for the outboards. The reasons are several: Lighter overall weight at the base of the model (compared to the originally planned E9-4 & four C6-5's) and the D12 has nearly two pounds more thrust than the E9 and should get the model up and running better than the E9. Plus the burn times and delay times of the D12-3 and C6-3 are the same. Drawing on the experience of my Estes Maxi-Brute X-Wing from nearly four years ago, I learned what not to do........

DWM,

Good move on the engine swap from E-9 to D-12. She will fly great! At 18.5 ounces you'll have a safe 5 to 1 thrust to weight ratio and she'll get to about 400' when winds are 6 mph or less. I do recommend going to a 4' x 3/16ths rod.

Just keep the cg 17.5 from the bottom of the fairings when fully prepped and you'll be fine.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

DWM,

Good move on the engine swap from E-9 to D-12. She will fly great! At 18.5 ounces you'll have a safe 5 to 1 thrust to weight ratio and she'll get to about 400' when winds are 6 mph or less. I do recommend going to a 4' x 3/16ths rod.

Just keep the cg 17.5 from the bottom of the fairings when fully prepped and you'll be fine.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Thanks, Verna! Our club does have some 3/16" rods that are about five feet long, so I shouldn't have any problems there. Also, the Centuri clear slip on fins (which I will be using) will give the model a slow spin during flight, which should help enhance the stability as well. And the Quest new Q2G2 igniters will be used. Right now our area is under a burn ban, so this Saturday's launch may be postponed until a later date.

Have you thought about an AT E-15 for the core? The three second burn time should really get it up there. If you are going to mix APCP and BP motors I would suggest using some fat Estes igniters for the C's and a longer set of wires to the composite motor loaded with a Firstfire igniter. Whatever motor combo you use it should be spectacular.
I've thought about a CHAD first stage cluster for my Saturn 5 and wonder if anyone has tried it. Simply, make a cluster mount with rings to fit the Bt-101. Place it in the cavity below the central 24mm Mmt with the central 24mm of the cluster gap staged to it. The whole cluster mount ejects at 2nd stage firing with streamers for recovery. The 18mm's are plugged and eject to reduce landing weight. Does anyone think it will work?
Here is a launch pic of my Saturn 1B. It's finished just enough to fly and has been stalled at that stage since last summer:eek:. Ted

saturn 1b 4xc6.jpg

I did some work on my Estes K-36 Saturn - V this evening in preparation for the upcoming launch. As you might expect, it's quite tail heavy. I've added three ounces of play dough weight in the upper section and it still needs a little more to be balanced properly. So far the weight (without the parachutes) is at about 18.25 oz., but I will be using the Centuri slip on clear fins for flight for added margin of stability. Pics of the model as taken a short while ago below......

As per usual a great looking rocket:)
Cheers
fred

BP works just fine for this kit IMO:) Heres mine on the five estes engine:)

satv.jpg

Latest posts

Back