Whoooo hooo! We have an RMS 38/720!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well well well... ONe more critical part of my dads L2 has come in the mail! And is it cool... Theres this little steel (or some other kinda hard metal) disk with a hole in it that came with it... I *KNOW* it must be something critical, but I cant put my finger on it. SO my question is: WHAT THE HECK IS IT!? Im guessing it has something to do with the closures.... Maybe it holds the nozze....

??????

Originally posted by Neil
Theres this little steel (or some other kinda hard metal) disk with a hole in it that came with it... I *KNOW* it must be something critical, but I cant put my finger on it. SO my question is: WHAT THE HECK IS IT!? Im guessing it has something to do with the closures.... Maybe it holds the nozze....

??????
The piece you are referring to is called the seal disk. It is used for some motors but not others. You can look up the instructions for the motor your Dad is planning to use for L2 on the Aerotech site and see if the seal disk is required. I can't remember which ones need it and which ones don't. It certainly may be required at some point so I keep mine with my closures.

Len Bryan

Neil,
If its Aerotech or Dr. Rocket hardware its a forward seal ring. It should have a groove in it. An O ring goes into the groove. The seal fits the inside lip of the propellent grain liner. These are used on all "I" and above reloads I believe. It was added a few years ago. I think Aerotech was experiencing bulged cases at the forward end because of pressures in those larger reloads. The forward seal is to take care of that problem.....Larry

It is a forward seal disc to be exact. It takes the place of one of the fiber discs that come in some Aerotech reloads. Provides better sealing on the forward portion of the motor.

yeah definantly the forward seal ring. IT is to prevent gases, in the longer cases, from getting in between the liner and the casing and causing bulges. There is a blurb about it on Dr rockets homepage

Thanx. I figured an O ring must go in that groove...:rolleyes:

yeah make sure you know what yuo are doing before you put it together

LOL. Of course. We dont even have the motor yet, and we probly wont for another month or two:rolleyes: ;) :p

Back