Who Used Chute Release for L1, L2, or L3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jan 12, 2019 Big Daddy modification. Tripoli Level one cert with CTI H54-7. 29 mm MMT. 1876' altitude. 24" Bama Recovery Polyconical "star" chute. JLCR @ 300'. Great flight. Love the JLCR and use on any laugh it will fit in.

Sept 29, 2018 NAR L1 Cert. Mac Performance 3" BlackFly propelled by an AT H148-10. Simmed Alt. 2K+ ft. JLCR set to 600 ft.

May 20, 2018, NAR L2. LOC Doorknob on an Aerotech J425-8 at MDRA Central Sod farm. JLCR set to 600 feet. Flawless flight and momentarily stuck the landing!

On my lvl2 in April 2018, 4600' on a J420 - JLCR at 400'. Landed 20' from pad! :) My lvl1 zippered first time, then I put the JLCR in to stagger the chute deployment forces (drogue then main). Worked like a charm :)

August 3, 2019 , Successful Level one. Wildman Jr, CTI I180 skidmark to 2.500 feet chute deployed at 400 feet. Thanks to the Jolly Logic chute release

Last edited:
LOC 4" Phoenix, AT H283 ST, set delay to 7 seconds. Instructions said nothing less. 600' agl, JLCR was open when deployed at 200'. Pucker factor was at 99. last Oct. Level 1.
LOC 4" Phoenix, AT DMS J250, full delay, 4800' agl. JLCR deployed at 500', perfect recovery other than wind dragging across plowed field. Left the scars on the fins. This May. Level 2

6/23/2019: successful L1 on 4" Madcow Patriot on H115DM w/ 8 second delay, JLCR @ 500 ft
7/20/2019: successful Jr. L1 on LOC Fantom 438 on H115DM w/ 8 second delay, JLCR @ 400 ft
7/20/2019: successful Jr. L1 on LOC-IV on H115DM w/ 8 second delay, JLCR @ 500 ft

I certified for my L1 in June with my Black fly 4". Had an awesome flight. Wieghs about 5.5 lbs. Went up about 2,500 feet and flew straight. I flew it on an H with 10 seconds of delay. Chute release was set at 400 feet.

It’s been awhile since this thread’s been updated. L2 today on a LOC Norad Pro Maxx with an AT DMS J270. Total weight fully loaded = 3.5 lbs. OR predicted 4900 feet. JLCR was set to 700 feet. it weathercocked and landed about a 1/2 mile away in a tree, but recovery was successful.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Glad to hear you got the rocket out of the tree.
How were you able to rescue it?
I live in the Boston area. When I went out to fill the bird feeders this morning I thought to myself, "Gee it ain't all that cold out, I wouldn't mind flying a few rockets today." What part of the country did you fly at today?
I just looked at the specs for the Norad Pro Maxx, a nice looking rocket.

Thanks! I‘m in GA. It was 26 degrees when we started set up at 7 this morning.

The club has a pole that’s extendable to 45 feet. Sometimes the rockets are easy to get, sometimes they’re a lot of work. Mine wasn’t too bad as it was only about 20 feet up.

I like the look of that rocket. I like transitions.F85DE872-62E0-40E7-BD1D-68BA1247282B.jpeg

26 degrees? Holy cow, I though it was warm in Georgia. It was 41 this morning around my way.

At one time, I was not a big transitions fan until I got tired of the same look all the time. Now I love them. They give a rocket more style. Last year I got the Loc Lil' Diter. Similar in size to your Pro Maxx, I think.

20 feet is not a bad reach, especially when you have a Jolly Logic Chute Release in there.

I did my L2 with a 4-inch LOC Goblin on a J420 and a Jolly Logic chute release set to 400 feet. It was a perfect flight and recovery. Now I’m working on / practicing dual deployment on a converted Zephyr.

I can’t believe it took me this long to find the high-power hobby!

Congratulations! I used a Jolly Logic Chute Release for my Level 2 certification flight. The rocket was a Mad Cow Torrent. What modifications were made to the Zephyr?

My son just did his jrl1 with it. 54 mm, 29mm motor mount. No altimeter reading, but sims suggested about 2300’. Worked perfectly, deploy at 300’. I don’t have the weight or exact length, and I have no idea where it, or any other of his rockets went.

There was no JLCR when I did my L3 way back when. Used an old-school device, the Tether. A bit more complex to set up than JLCR but it worked a treat.

Best -- Terry

Just did my Tripoli Level 1 cert flight using JLCR. First flight to make sure everything worked was on an E23 to 750 (sim), followed by flight on H128 to 2850 (sim) for cert. Both set to open at 300'. First flight was tracked by eye whole flight. Second flight I lost track on until chute blossomed. I'm going to rebuild this rocket with a 38mm motor mount and a slightly longer body tube. I normally fly it with SU motors and motor eject. Now that I'm stepping up my game, I need to have the capability of adding a tracker and a screamer.

Back in November I flew my L1 with a Zephyr on an H130W-7, JLCR@400ft. Needed to use a different rubber band than the ones supplied - I guess it was the way I was folding it.

I did my L2 with a 4-inch LOC Goblin on a J420 and a Jolly Logic chute release set to 400 feet. It was a perfect flight and recovery. Now I’m working on / practicing dual deployment on a converted Zephyr.

I can’t believe it took me this long to find the high-power hobby!

what was the weight of your rocket empty? delay and altitude??
I think I might try that

Finally got around to getting my L1, and yes, with a JLCR!

Rocket: Cherokee-G (from this very forum - ) 3.1" diameter, 53 Oz. without motor. Dual deploy capable, but used motor eject.
Motor: H165R
Altitude: 1042 ft.

Release at 400 ft.

ps: Openrocket forecast 1067 ft. Maiden flight of this rocket was two weeks ago on a G80T. Openrocket forecast 820 ft but the altimeter reported 740... so by that reckoning, I was expecting around 950 ft or so. Guess you never know for sure!

Last edited:
9-2-2018 My L1 could not have been more perfect.
Leviathan. H128-8 (delay adjusted).
Predicted altitude (my own software): 2003.6 feet.
Chute release set for 300 ft.
Actual altitude:
L1.jpg

Back