Who sells nylon parachutes w kevlar shroud lines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I lost my 18" nylon chute and need to replace it. I liked the (rather thick) kevlar lines it had because I never had to worry about them being singed. They also resisted twisting very well, and packed easy. They handled cold weather well too.

I do not see any pre-made chutes online w kevlar lines - I see nylon, dacron..., but have no experience w them?

Anyone have a specific links for an 18" nylon chute w kevlar lines? This is for LPR, maybe MPR. This'll be my general purpose chute.

Thank you much!
Pat

I lost my 18" nylon chute and need to replace it. I liked the (rather thick) kevlar lines it had because I never had to worry about them being singed. They also resisted twisting very well, and packed easy. They handled cold weather well too.

I do not see any pre-made chutes online w kevlar lines - I see nylon, dacron..., but have no experience w them?

Anyone have a specific links for an 18" nylon chute w kevlar lines? This is for LPR, maybe MPR. This'll be my general purpose chute.

Thank you much!
Pat

I am not sure who sells them now, but if you're after a premium chute then you can look at Fruity Chutes. Fruity Chutes used to use Kevlar however they found the Kevlar abrasive and now use a less abrasive material for the shroud lines, I believe some sort of nylon, which I can personally vouch for as I have about 18 of his chutes from 12" elliptical up to 72" iris ultra.

For the elliptical chutes starting at 12" https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/classic-elliptical-12-to-60-c-1/?zenid=n1v4JJFTqJ-xwsAUcK,An3
Alternatively you can look at the TARC L/MPR chutes, which are about half the price as the elliptical chutes https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/tarc-low-and-mid-power-chutes-c-6/

Were you wanting the Kevlar for strength, or for its heat resistance, or some other reason?

Later!

--Coop

Dino Chutes does a lot of custom work. I'd bet they're willing to make one for ya... though, if crossfire says no... and fruity chutes decided against it, ...
There's probably a reason

Rocketman makes Nomex drogue chutes for larger rockets. I have a couple.
I would be concerned that a chute with nylon gores and Kevlar or Nomex lines crossing over the canopy (both aramid fibers) would have problems due to the stretchability of the nylon working against the resistance to stretch of the aramid. Besides, if the lines withstand heat, but your gores melt you haven't gained much.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Last edited:
catochutes has a full line of smaller chutes - stronger then you can believe. Couldn't break a line with 2 men and a 3:1 z haul system.

Sorry I have not posted for a while - I've had to go thru a burst disc in my back! Yuck!

I want Kevlar mostly for the utility of it - it never twisted, tangled..... That chute practically rolled itself up! It was a pure joy to use! :) That 18" chute was a true workhorse - it took abuse (IE cold weather) and kept on givin'/performing! I've never seen any indications of abrasion!?!? :confused:

I ended up ordering an 18" chute from Spherachutes. It has a spill hole built in, and is hemispherical shaped (it doesn't lay flat). One ignorant question: Does this Spherachute slow down my rocket's descent like a standard Estes 18" plastic chute? I guess I can do some tests...? :)

Thanks for all the responses!

Pat

Sorry I have not posted for a while - I've had to go thru a burst disc in my back! Yuck!

I want Kevlar mostly for the utility of it - it never twisted, tangled..... That chute practically rolled itself up! It was a pure joy to use! :) That 18" chute was a true workhorse - it took abuse (IE cold weather) and kept on givin'/performing! I've never seen any indications of abrasion!?!? :confused:

I ended up ordering an 18" chute from Spherachutes. It has a spill hole built in, and is hemispherical shaped (it doesn't lay flat). One ignorant question: Does this Spherachute slow down my rocket's descent like a standard Estes 18" plastic chute? I guess I can do some tests...? :)

Pat

Take a look at the recent thread on hemispherical chutes. It will show the comparison between a parasheet from Estes and the hemispherical shape from Spherachutes.

Pat
Pat-Oh, buddy- I feel your pain-literally. Blew out my back in January and it's been a long road. LDRS was my first launch in 6 mos and it really took the starch outta me when it started to flare up. Don't push yourself and take it easy. OTOH- I have several custom made Nomex chutes with kevlar lines and I'd be willing to sell one if you let me know what size you need. The bigger ones could be drogues for up to 50 lb rockets or lighter mains but they are bulky. You won't be cramming one of these in an 18mm tube-LOL!

Latest posts

Back