Who is your 2004 TRF Rocket Builder of the Year?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,

After seeing all the awesome pictures of the rockets you guys built. I thought I would start this thread so you can nominate your TRF 2004 Rocket Builder of the Year.

I choose to nominate Fore Check for building the USS Atlantis. I was blown away by his 227% upscale. Keep in mind I don't know him except from this board. So this is completely unsolicited. My hat goes off to Fore Check and I can't wait for the next project you share with us.

Best regards,
Brian

there are so many great builders here!
Forecheck,The sand man....
Drew with his buran model...
heck....too many to think of !

If I had to vote for one tho it would be

Silverleaf with his little joe and launcher !

Originally posted by bswan72
Hello,

After seeing all the awesome pictures of the rockets you guys built. I thought I would start this thread so you can nominate your TRF 2004 Rocket Builder of the Year.

I choose to nominate Fore Check for building the USS Atlantis. I was blown away by his 227% upscale. Keep in mind I don't know him except from this board. So this is completely unsolicited. My hat goes off to Fore Check and I can't wait for the next project you share with us.

Best regards,
Brian

First of all, I'm flattered and embarassed at the same time. :D

Second, I have two more on the burner - one should be ready for pics in the next week or two.

NO HINTS!

I too can't decide. Maybe rocketjunkie, g_boxwood, or Carl

I'd like to make some nominations too.

Sandman - the LJII kit takes the cake. Scale, detail, size, and produced *more than once.* AWESOME!

dtomko - the E Buran is the work of a true master. that kind of scratch detail makes a person drool!

Jim Flis - Talk about mass production, and the new designs are *outstanding*!!! Take a bow, dude!

Kellym88 - That upscaled Photon Disruptor is GREAT! Heck, he did the same thing I did with the Atlantis with a different design - challenged himself with the building techniques, and has a winner on his hands. Worthy of nomination - even thought the "finished product" hasn't been posted yet.

OKTurbo - You can't appreciate the mad skilz unless you witness the Maxi-Red Max in person. Not a single finishing flaw - interchangeable motor mounts, and a true classic to boot. Stout, clean, and sturdy. Awesome!

billEblurzz - If only I could finish my rockets like this guy. Man, what an artist!!! Rocket manufacturers should hire this guy to produce catalog photo prototypes. Unbelievavle. Humbling. AWESOME!!!!!

Peter Alway - "Got Scale???" 'nuff said.

Very tough call.

However my nomination would have to go to Sandman.

The reason is simple. He not only does accomplish scale with such precision that it would make Peter Alway Blush, but it's his exhaustive efforts to share his creations with others. Creation and insperation...Way to go Gordo!:D

That John Wayne quote (flying) is one of the best out of context quotes EVAH!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:cool:

Well... It seems nobody likes my green "GOBLIN"...LOL

After thinking about this... It would really be difficult to pick just one... It's a mind boggle'n task... Too many to be fair....

Did I mention my green "GOBLIN"...???

LOL!!!

Carl T., hands down for my vote :)

Look at the pictures of his rockets. Flawless!

Hold them in your hand. Flawless!

Look *real* close. Flawless!

Go ahead, put on a jewlers loop. Flawless!

Put it under a microscope and you would *then* probably see a small defect...

...nope, that's a lens defect afterall! :D

a picture would be nice along with the named rockets. how are people that are new around here suppose to know what you guys are talkig about?

I'm going to have to go with g_boxwood. His rockets (ACME Spitfire upscale, Big Nuke, & Talon) have been so beautiful to see documented in pictures that they're difficult to look at. A true artist with a vision!

(In the classic Wayne's World style...)
We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

:D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Very tough call.

However my nomination would have to go to Sandman.

The reason is simple. He not only does accomplish scale with such precision that it would make Peter Alway Blush, but it's his exhaustive efforts to share his creations with others. Creation and insperation...Way to go Gordo!:D

Seconded. Some of my best stuff wouldn't exist if it weren't for his handicrafting.

Carl T , jflis , sandman , Elapid & Dbarrm!
All have built & flown truely awesome models!

That's what's so cool about this place.

There are a *bunch* of great builders here - and everyone is willing to share their ideas, talents, and techniques.

Speaking for myself, my fleet would be pretty mundane if Sandman hadn't invited me over here to be "inspired", motivated, and above all educated by all of you. (my first contact with Gordon was in response to a classified ad on ROL for his custom nose cones.)

"It's a thing of beauty!"

*sniff*

:kill:

WOW. Thanx Forecheck. To be mentioned in the same sentence as the others. I'm flattered.

From what I've seen I would have to with C Tulanko, Billieblurz, and Forecheck. They turn out some fantastic models. Beautiful.

Oh by the way, I too have a couple projects close to being finished, no hints though.

Let's not forget about Astronboy and Micromister. They make some fantastic rockets as well.

I have to go with Forecheck. That upscale Atlantis was the coolest thing I have seen pictured up here! I can't wait to see what is in the works!

Originally posted by stymye
If I had to vote for one tho it would be
Silverleaf with his little joe and launcher ! [/B]

Wow, thanks Styme for the kind words. 8)

As to posting images of the rockets/projects in question..

Check the Scratchbuilt forum for the Energia Buran thread by Drew Tomko

Sandman's masterful contribution is available in the massive yardsale thread for the Little Joe 2.

Speaking of the launch tower project, DumasBro 2 took a ton of pics of the finished Little Joe 2 and tower complex at the mall, and I've added a few new ones at the bottom of the page found here: https://scale-rocketry.tripod.com/id5.htm

More to come later.

As for my own vote, I'd truly lean towards Drews work, but certainly appreciate being mentioned in the same breath with all of these great guys. 8)

My work pales in comparison...

Cheers,

silverleaf... thanks for posting , those new pics really do it justice !

no Question,there are some fantastic rocket finishers on this forum !

the reasoning behind my vote was to answer the question"who is your favorite >builder<"

Personaly,that makes me think of the ones who put considerable hours into their masterpieces, or going as far as building molds for each piece , designing most parts from scratch, turning them into kits,starting with nothing more than a scale drawing(if that),
that kind of dedication just amazes me !
but thats just my interpretation,being such a scale nut

now If you ask me who achieves the best finishes I may have answered differently

still,all the ones mentioned so far are definately top notch. and I continuely learn from a number of them.

Carl has my vote too!

I can't believe the paint jobs he does just by holding the rocket out the window and spraying!

sandman

Wow, thanks guys....it is humbling and embarrassing to be mentioned in this thread! But I really don't consider myself to be included as BUILDER with the likes of FORECHECK or KELLTYM 88! That upscale ATLANTIS is amazing and the PHOTON DISRUPTOR family...I wish I had plans for. The upscalers and creators are the REAL masters in this forum. If my builds and paint jobs are nice to some, it is only from hard work and attention to detail....anyone can improve in these areas. Sandman is a CREATOR and I hope sometime in the future I will be able to get one of his LJ IIs. Everyone knows who the BIG GUNS are: TULANKO, FLIS, ALWAY, etc. One who really captures the SPIRIT of rocketry is RABIDSHEEEP!....he could really excell on "Junkyard Wars"! I really enjoy finishing a build and photographing it to share on this forum....maybe I get mentioned because of OVEREXPOSURE....sometimes I think maybe some might tire of too many entries....but I do enjoy sharing with you!:)

Now wait a minute, do you mean who builds a rocket that looks best on display? that has a showroom finish? was just placed on the display stand with velvet gloves? under non UV producing lamps so as not to fade the paint of the rocket? is this the rocket, the one under glass?...

From 100 ft away, riding on the flames and smoke from the "rocket gods" themselves, I believe that everyone is the best builder they can be...and if it lands safely to do it again, then the circle is complete, and then we are all the best we can be... ;)

...but if I had to choose just one of ya, then that builder would be Sandman. He designs , builds and markets, that is pretty complete. The Little Joe II is awesome.

I'm flattered to have been mentioned! I am so impressed by the variety of talent around here. I think I'm most impressesd by the output of some of you. I work so slowly, mostly because I just can't seem to find very much time.
Drew Tomko

From 100 ft away, riding on the flames and smoke from the "rocket gods" themselves, I believe that everyone is the best builder they can be...and if it lands safely to do it again, then the circle is complete, and then we are all the best we can be...

Whoa!...Way too philosophical for me!

I'm just havin' fun!

sandman:D

There are many excellent builders in the fourm - and I have learned from all of them ! BUT

I have to go with Carl T. His documentation has taught me a ton, and I have 1999 punuds learned from every one else mentioned !

Some of my fav's this year have been Carl Tulanko and g_boxwood. Man, the detail these guys get is amazing, and the rockets are built like tanks. Not to mention the number of large projects these guys can complete in one year. Amazing!

Sandman, fore-check (go Wings!), Doug G, micromeister, billEblurrzz also do some amazing things!

Loopy

Back