Who is excited for winter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one love cold snowy weather!!!

Excited for, not so much, not dreading it either. I much prefer fall weather than winter, but it is what is where I am located. I've lived within 50 miles of Chicago proper all my life, so snow blowers and some choice winter storms are a norm.

Picture below stolen from the interwebs from a really nasty dump we had back in 2011...
Capture.JPG

Oil just changed and suspension greased in 1000cc Yamaha snowmobile, it is sitting in the garage waiting. Let the snow fly!

I'm not a fan.

That said, our local weather guy said that today our daily average temperature dropped below freezing... and will remain there for the next 151 days.

Also today, sunset is at 4:59 pm and the solstice isn't for another month.

It's gonna be a long, cold, dark, couple of months.

I like a few inches of snow for a white Christmas, and on the 26th of Dec. it can melt and be 70 F. out year round after that.

It is not just you, winters have been much more mild, less snow around here than years past.

Last edited:
I hear from the old weather man that in my neck of the woods (oklahoma) could see the biggest weather front next week since 2014. But we have to wait and see. I have a 4wd truck and a generator. So the cold winter weather does not bother me.

Winters more mild? Whatever happened to the two "Polar Vortex" winters we just survived? A single day thats 20 deg below normal will balance out a week later on thats 3 above average. Remember, average is not normal.

Growing up in MN, i learned to hate the cold. Then living in Buffalo NY, I learned to hate the snow. I can deal with it, but I don't have to like it.

After Christmas & New Year's, it's basically a countdown to April.

I don't mind a good snow. It's all the rest of the cold that I hate.

Not a big winter fan. But my kids love snow, and I don't mind missing a day of work now and then. :wink:

Excited for, not so much, not dreading it either. I much prefer fall weather than winter, but it is what is where I am located. I've lived within 50 miles of Chicago proper all my life, so snow blowers and some choice winter storms are a norm.

Picture below stolen from the interwebs from a really nasty dump we had back in 2011...
View attachment 306410

Justin,

That was my last winter in Chicago. I lived a little bit north of where that picture was taken - just above where LSD ends. I left the Loop early so I avoided the worst of the blizzard, but power went out in my high-rise and I was stuck in a frigid 33rd floor apartment for a couple of days.

Now I live in central Georgia where we are prisoners of a different season. We do not go outside from May to October because the heat and humidity are unbearable. At least during Winter in Chicago, I could put on another layer. But during the summer here, well, one can only get so naked.... So we stay inside with the A/C and wait for Winter to come.

BTW, today it is 78* and 81% humidity, with severe storms on the way in from the gulf.

I grew up in New Haven, IN, and didn't much mind the winter. Then, after graduation from High School and going through BMTS and Tech School in the USAF, my first duty assignment was Minot AFB, ND. I arrived there on Friday, September 29, 1989. It was a mild 65* that afternoon, and already a bit cool compared to the 80-90* weather I'd just left in Texas. By Monday morning, October 2nd, it was mid-30's and snowing! Right then and there I stopped enjoying Winter! I was a B-52H Crew Chief and 95% of our work was done outside in the elements. The only time we stopped working was when the Ambient temperature hit -75*F! Things got a little better when I PCS'd to Whiteman AFB, MO. At least we had 4 season's there, and each B-2 had it's own climate controlled hangar!

In 1998 I was in Biloxi, MS, and I've been on the Gulf Coast ever since (except for the winter after Hurricane Katrina when I moved to CT for work; I came back the following April!). Now, anything below about 70* is too cool for my blood. The last two winters I only owned a motorcycle for transportation, and even though I live in Mobile, AL, I work in Houma, LA. You still have to dress appropriately for extreme cold/wind chill, but at least I'm still able to ride on two wheels during the winter. This year I have a Dodge Caravan and only ride the motorcycle when I want to. Getting old sucks! :wink:

Best thing about winter is that they finally harvest the soy beans and our club can use our big farm field.

Worst thing about winter is trying to screw in tiny shear pins with frozen fingers.

Best thing about winter is that they finally harvest the soy beans and our club can use our big farm field.

Worst thing about winter is trying to screw in tiny shear pins with frozen fingers.

AMEN!

I have some fingerless gloves that I hope will keep my hands at least warm enough to hold on to them.

I echo previous sentiments that it's nice for Christmas, but then goes on too long. I grew up in New England, and now live in the Southwest, so I always get a little nostalgic this time of year. however, I just finished decorating for Christmas and did so in shorts and a tee shirt (we had a very warm weekend!). We're skiiers and snowshoers, so being so far away from the mountains kind of stinks, but we have the southernmost ski area in the contiguous US here in Tucson! https://www.skithelemmon.com/ Trouble is the roads close during snow fall, so in a decade we have yet to actually make it up there (also i hear it gets crowded with people who shouldn't be anywhere near snow)

I hear from the old weather man that in my neck of the woods (oklahoma) could see the biggest weather front next week since 2014. But we have to wait and see. I have a 4wd truck and a generator. So the cold winter weather does not bother me.

A few winters back, I was out shovelling. My neighbour as well. I asked him: "those two cars you got, 4WD right?!" he answered proudly "Yep, sure are" "So", I asked "Why you out here shovelling.." he had no answer, just a bit of a puzzled look.. :D

Inputs from people in Florida are pretty worthless to this thread :)

A few winters back, I was out shovelling. My neighbour as well. I asked him: "those two cars you got, 4WD right?!" he answered proudly "Yep, sure are" "So", I asked "Why you out here shovelling.." he had no answer, just a bit of a puzzled look.. :D

Uhhhh ... because 4WD is not AWD? :grin:

Even though this is Colorado, and I'm used to it, I don't particularly like Winter very much...I can definitely do without shoveling snow (I've done more than my share of that in my lifetime). I strongly dislike commuting to work in snow. I have no problem driving in it, but the problem lies with the hoards of other drivers that don't know how to deal with it. Snow-day traffic jams in Denver can lead to hours of sitting on a highway going nowhere. Also, I don't particularly like being cold (in my old age).
The one nice thing about Colorado is that no matter how much of a honkin' huge blizzard we get along the front range, it's usually followed by a high-pressure cel that warms things up and causes a quick melt-off. As far as model rocketry goes, we usually get a few 50+ degree days around here every month that are calm and bright. We can virtually enjoy the hobby year-round. I think the coldest winter launch I've ever participated in was on a day that hovered around the low 30s. Just need to make sure that plastic parachutes aren't folded up inside of a model for too long at that temp. They tend to get a little bit stiff from the cold and refuse to deploy. Everything else, however, is golden!

I was reflecting on this yesterday. In some parts of the country the winter is an off season for rockets. But winter brings rain in northern California (hopefully). That means the fire danger is low and we can launch at Snow Ranch (~November - April if we are lucky). The high fire danger makes the summer the off season @ Snow Ranch.

I was reflecting on this yesterday. In some parts of the country the winter is an off season for rockets. But winter brings rain in northern California (hopefully). That means the fire danger is low and we can launch at Snow Ranch (~November - April if we are lucky). The high fire danger makes the summer the off season @ Snow Ranch.

But for those who launch on farms, summer is the off-season.

What is this "Winter" that you speak of?

-- Roger

Don't you notice an influx of "foreign" white & pasty* people suddenly appearing on your shores, in droves, flashing colourful "monopoly" money, and saying abooot, eh, and 'sorry a lot?! usually just before Christmas, and leave just before Easter? usually older retired folks..

* white & pasty referring to the lack of sun or any skin colour what-so-ever due to being covered up for the past few months...

* white & pasty referring to the lack of sun or any skin colour what-so-ever due to being covered up for the past few months...

My kids have spent the last 18+ years in Alaska and resemble that remark! :lol: They don't do hot and humid, and I don't do layers of clothing to stay warm!

Don't you notice an influx of "foreign" white & pasty* people suddenly appearing on your shores, in droves, flashing colourful "monopoly" money, and saying abooot, eh, and 'sorry a lot?! usually just before Christmas, and leave just before Easter? usually older retired folks...

Yes. Hence, our motto ... "Winter is coming."

Isn't a "pasty" some kind of meat pie?

-- Roger

Back