Who Here Is A Pilot?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gym_Class_Hero

Reaction score
I've noticed already that several members here are pilots, I am one of them.:D So who else here tames the skies?:cool:

1. How long have you flown?
2. How many hours do you have?
3. What have you flown?
4. What is your rating?
5. What are your planes for the future?
6. What's your home airport?

I've been a student pilot since 2006, and have so far logged 31 hours. Most of those hours were in a PA-28 Warrior, but I've also flown a C172 and a C185 float plane (my favorite, she flies like a dream:D). In the short time my goal is to get a basic VFR private pilot rating, but plan to go for an instrument and multi soon after. My home airport is Lake in the Hills (3CK). For the longer term... I'm not sure. I've decided not to be an airline pilot (too much automation IMO), but still plan on keeping aviation in my life. I've considered opening a GA flight service (teaching, charters, pilot supplies, etc). My dream is to have a private DC-9 one day (sounds crazy, doesn't it? :p). :)

Last edited:
1. Got my private in 1984
2. About 6200 Hours, currently flying about 400 hours per year
3. Lots of singles and multis, typed in the BAE-4100 Jetstream 41, CL-65 Canadair Regional Jet, and LR-45 Lear 45 (current ride)
4. ATP
5. Plan to keep my current job although we just furloughed 60 this week:(
6. Fly out of most US airports but based in EWR and TEB

I love flying and it is the only thing I ever wanted to do, so you could say that I am living the dream. If you were to ask me though, I'd say get a real job and fly for fun. Sometimes I wish I had. Not to rain on anybody's parade or dreams though, I just think the way the industry is going that there is not much security in aviation anymore (not that there was much in the first place). My dad was with US Air since the Mohawk days in 1968 and he got his full retirement (lump sum). I just wish I could say that for all of the retirees from the airlines these days.

Keep flying and building those hours and start on your instrument the day after you get your private. IFR flying is so much easier than VFR especially with all of the new regs and airspace limitations. I can't even remember how to use a sectional or even what one looks like:eek:!

Stuart

I have 35 hours as a student pilot in a few airframes. Half of my hours are from a Cirrus SR-20 that I flew out of Albuquerque, NM. I also flew a few hours in a Cesna 172 and 182 in Albuquerque as well. The other half of my hours are in a Piper Warrior out of Melbourne, FL. I've flown a Cirrus SR-22 a few times (software flight testing for work) and did some software test flights in an Eclipse 500 as well. Neither of those two could be logged as training hours though.

Once I have enough money I will get back into it and get my VFR. But at this rate I think I will have a lot more rockets than flight training hours. :D

Well, you have probably figured out I am.:D

1. been flying since 1978, private pilot since 1980
2. Not sure, I think around 14000
3. Look at my signature line plus C-150, 152, 172, and Grumman Cheetah.
(My sig is what I have been paid to fly).
4. ATP, FE, private pilot SEL. Typed in a SD-3, DC-9, 737
5. To stay employed, I'm lucky now my airline is healthy but who knows.
6. I'm based in KSEA

I still love to fly, It's still a thrill, but doing something for a living changes it some how. The industry is not for the faint of heart, but My wife works in the medical field and my best friend (after my wife) works in TV and they have many of the same complaints. The thing different with flying is most airlines are losing money at a crazy rate.

I went to a Civil Air Patrol powered flight academy in 2006. This was located in Muskogee, OK. I received 10hrs of flight training, around 25hrs of ground school, and did my first solo in a Cessna 172. This was all in about 7-8 days so it was quite rigorous. After that I couldn't find a CAP pilot willing to teach me in the Cincinnati area. I finally did last year, but that fell through :(
Oh I also have 30min of simulator time for the T-6 II although it wasn't logged.

I do plan on getting my license someday. My dream job would be a CFI and after my hours are up, I'd become a test pilot. As of now I found skydiving and honestly it's way cooler so my skydiving license may come before my pilot rating.

Last edited:
I've noticed already that several members here are pilots, I am one of them.:D So who else here tames the skies?:cool:

3. What have you flown?
4. What is your rating?
1. Started flying as a student in July 2007 and got my ticket in January 2008 with 54 hours (took a break for a few weeks and had to relearn some stuff).
2. Around 85 hours, probably about 30 being cross country. I picked up skydiving in Dec. 2008 and was spending my money on that. I ended up messing up my shoulder pretty badly doing it, so I am gonna pick up flying again this summer.
3. C172, C182, Warrior, briefly a Twin Comanche
4. Private, gonna try to get instrument done by the end of summer
5. If things pan out, I will hopefully be a plane owner this time next year. Probably gonna pick up my instrument, multi, and comm. for to be a jump pilot.
6. KGMU, KGYH, and soon, KBCB

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. I plan to pick up a glider rating this summer or fall as well.

Last edited:
3. What have you flown?
4. What is your rating?

1. Earned my private pilot ticket in October 1979
2. Only logged about 80 hours
3. C152, C172, C182, Mooney and Piper Cub
4. Single engine land
5. No more flying in my future, having been diagnosed with early onset
Parkinsons Disease 3 years ago.
6. Page Field, Fort Myers, FL.

It was fun while it lasted. My wife got tired of hearing me say I wish I could get a pilots license. Came home one afternoon and she informed me I have my first flying lesson tomorrow. Soloed in 10 hours and go my private license with 42 hours. Try it you will love it!

Like Jimmy, I'm a long since retired Private Pilot. Got my ticket in 1985.

About 110 hours in PA-28s and PA-38s, C150, C152, C172, C42 Ikarus, and about 3-1/2 hours in sailplanes: 2-33s, Grob 103 (intro to aerobatics), and an AAC surplus TG-2.

I'm a Private Pilot, VFR rated, single engine land.
I'll probably take a lesson here and there to keep my hand in it, but I've lost enough peripheral vision to glaucoma that I don't think I'd chance soloing again even if I could pass a physical.

Home airport: MSN (Madison, WI), back when it was an WI ANG A-10 base as well (now they've got F-16s).

At what age can you start training to get a pilot's license and about how much would that cost?

ABW

As far as I know, there is no age limit as long as you can pass a third class medical. I haven't taught in 9 or 10 years and some of the regs have changed. As a matter of fact, I am glad I am not teaching anymore, there are so many more things to do other than teaching people to fly. I even think student pilots have to get some kind of security check. I loved teaching back in the 'old days:D', but since 911 so many things have changed. Even the temporary flight restrictions around DCA, BWI and IAD have become permanent.

Stuart

Back