Who has their very 1st rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no survivors from back then. One was the Estes Thunderhawk. At least I think it was. It does not seem to exist anymore anywhere but I know it flew great! Does anyone else remember this rocket?

I have no survivors from back then. One was the Estes Thunderhawk. At least I think it was. It does not seem to exist anymore anywhere but I know it flew great! Does anyone else remember this rocket?
Yeah, I think it was a former Centuri kit that Estes kept going after the companies merged in the early 80's. Semroc did a repop of it a few years back. It's one of the only Thunder kits I've not flown at some point.

Yeah, I think it was a former Centuri kit that Estes kept going after the companies merged in the early 80's. Semroc did a repop of it a few years back. It's one of the only Thunder kits I've not flown at some point.

I scrolled through the centuri-thunder-roc-5340-gallery and noticed that all the thunder series rockets pictured have three fins. Mine had five. Is this something Estes did?

I scrolled through the centuri-thunder-roc-5340-gallery and noticed that all the thunder series rockets pictured have three fins. Mine had five. Is this something Estes did?
Yeah, I noticed that. I think it was just an Estes thing. The decals were very similar, IIRC. This would be an easy clone with Semroc parts.

Yeah, I noticed that. I think it was just an Estes thing. The decals were very similar, IIRC. This would be an easy clone with Semroc parts.

I’m glad they did!
I might have to clone it, It was the best flier in my little fleet back then.

I saw an upscale Thunderhawk launch at MDRA a few weeks ago, it was a good flyer. (5-finned)

PC120259.JPG

BTW the Estes Thunderhawk and the Centuri Thunder Hawk, while they shared similar names, were not the same rocket.
Thunderhawk (spacemodeling.org)
Centuri Thunder Hawk #5338 (rocketshoppe.com)
Estes model was BT-50 with a BT-20 motor mount.
Centuri model was minimum diameter BT-20(ST-7).
And the Estes model, as previously mentioned had five fins.
Estes decals were military style, Centuri decals were the name with a hawk logo and a couple of body stripes.

Centuri Thunder series:
Thunder Hawk (.76")
Thunder Bird (1.0")
Thunder Roc (1.64")

Semroc Thunder series:
Thunder Bee (.543")
Thunder Chief (.908")
Thunder Strike (1.34")
Thunder Storm (2.04")

As you can see by the names and body diameters, the Semroc series was a separate line from the Centuri series, not retro repros.

Last edited:
Skyhook as my second rocket. I bought the Arcas and Skyhook, got a free Gyroc in the order. Only have the Arcas stiil. Gyroc tore apart on its 3rd flight

BTW the Estes Thunderhawk and the Centuri Thunder Hawk, while they shared similar names, were not the same rocket.
Thunderhawk (spacemodeling.org)
Centuri Thunder Hawk #5338 (rocketshoppe.com)
Estes model was BT-50 with a BT-20 motor mount.
Centuri model was minimum diameter BT-20(ST-7).
And the Estes model, as previously mentioned had five fins.
Estes decals were military style, Centuri decals were the name with a hawk logo and a couple of body stripes.

Centuri Thunder series:
Thunder Hawk (.76")
Thunder Bird (1.0")
Thunder Roc (1.64")

Semroc Thunder series:
Thunder Bee (.543")
Thunder Chief (.908")
Thunder Strike (1.34")
Thunder Storm (2.04")

As you can see by the names and body diameters, the Semroc series was a separate line from the Centuri series, not retro repros.

What is really weird is that mine came with the Centuri decals, but with the five fins In an Estes package. One of the few rockets I was successful on decal application!

My first rocket was an Estes WAC Corporal. After several good flights, it landed high in a tree. Not wanting to give up on it, a couple of friends and me returned a couple of days later with a hatchet. I climbed the tree and chopped the top off and retrieved my rocket.

Sadly, it was all in vain as it had rained in the interim and the WAC Corporal was soaked beyond use.

On the plus side, the owner of that tree didn't catch us destroying his tree, so we got away with that caper. Never flew near there again.

My first was probably a mosquito that burned up in re-entry decades ago. I had a Mercury Redstone that I never launched hanging from my bedroom ceiling for years, but I think that came to an untimely end as well.

On one of my first launched rockets, years upon years ago in a field that probably no longer exists, I did forget (or was too lazy) to put recovery wadding in and the flaming parachute made for quite a show. Thankfully we stamped it out before it started a county-wide conflagration. What an auspicious beginning.

I'm not confident what my very first rocket was.
Would wager it was connected with Boy Scouts.
What I DO remember, and vividly, about my first rocket is pulling the 2 piece red plastic nose cone apart and working to see if I could scratchbuild a cockpit for a Revell 1/72 P-74 Thunderbolt pilot to slip in the nose cone.
But I don't remember whether the project was successfully completed or not.

Its soooo cool to see the comments..

The people that have "upgraded" there original rockets is by far the coolest 😎 thing... which gives me an idea about the remnants of MY FIRST ONE... The nose cone is gonna be HARD. Upcale say....40% 🤷
Help/Ideas ?

Only image I could find.

Same nose?????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210101-004955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210101-004955_Chrome.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210101-004919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210101-004919_Chrome.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 12
Same nose?????
Yes.
The nose cone is available as a reproduction from Sirius Rocketry.
Polyurethane resin instead of styrene.
Look in their "Moldin' Oldies" section, "Type C" parts.
Moldin' Oldies PNC-102 [SRMO-PNC102] - $10.95 : Sirius Rocketry Online Store, For the Serious Rocketeer!
(EDIT: Currently sold out).
Also available in balsa from erockets:
Semroc Balsa Nose Cone #10 4.3" Double Cone SEM-BC-1043 * (erockets.biz)
They fit an ST-10 tube, also available from erockets.
I've used the balsa cones to clone an Estes Firecat and Centuri Sky-Lab.

I have the Semroc clone of my first rocket: a Centuri Micron. I couldn't locate any Testors PLA gloss white, in the 1/4 ounce bottle, which which to reproduce the hand-painted finish though.

My first rocket, constructed while in 8th grade in 1972, was the Estes Astron Sprint. Not knowing any better, I figured higher is better, right? So to heck with that recommendation of an "A" motor for first flights, and loaded it up with a C6-7. Left the pad in a blur, never saw it again. :(

But, in a recent fit of nostalgia, I bought an original OOP Astron Sprint on ebay, and built it. This one looks just a smidge better than the one I constructed at age 13. And no, I haven't flown it on a C6-7--haven't flown it at all. It is a display piece.

Astron Sprint.jpg

My first rocket was an Estes X-Ray that was lost when it drifted onto the Junior High School building next to where we were launching on it's first and only flight. Had no clue about appropriate launch fields. I ended up giving away all my rocketry stuff to my paperboy years later when I enlisted in the Air Force. Being a BAR I've been either cloning or buying the Semroc re-releases of the ones that I gave away all those years ago as well as collecting the ones I could only dream of as a young kid.

My son received a rocket kit for Christmas, I have no idea regarding regulations for this type of rocket or where we can launch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. San bernardino county, San bernardino and Apple Valley.

Attachments

• IMG_2940.jpg
    IMG_2940.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2941.jpg
    IMG_2941.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 6
My son received a rocket kit for Christmas, I have no idea regarding regulations for this type of rocket or where we can launch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. San bernardino county, San bernardino and Apple Valley.
Welcome to the forum--I hope you and your son have fun with the kits. Your best move is to go the National Association of Rocketry's website, www.nar.org and search for a local NAR section in your area. There should be contact info to get in touch with the folks that run the section--you can then learn when they fly, and attend a launch to get acquainted with the hobby.

Edit: Did a little research for you. Near Apple Valley, looks like Rocketry Organization of California is who you want to reach out to. Website is www.rocstock.org

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum--I hope you and your son have fun with the kits. Your best move is to go the National Association of Rocketry's website, www.nar.org and search for a local NAR section in your area. There should be contact info to get in touch with the folks that run the section--you can then learn when they fly, and attend a launch to get acquainted with the hobby.

Edit: Did a little research for you. Near Apple Valley, looks like Rocketry Organization of California is who you want to reach out to. Website is www.rocstock.org

Best of luck!

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help!

Back