Who has free shipping?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mini altimeter is the only flight computer/tracker they have “live” - it works great by the way, super easy Bluetooth interface. The Comp, SST and Sport are not available yet...
I don’t believe it does tracking as well, does it?

I don’t believe it does tracking as well, does it?
Not the Mini - the still in beta SST is their LoRa radio tracker that I’ve been waiting for but if it’s not out soon and my Eggtimer kits work out well I think I’ll try an Eggfinder instead...

Alright I'm tired of paying shipping charges. Other than amazon, who has free shipping? I love supporting Estes, Apogee, LOC and other rocket stores but I'm getting nickle and dime'd to death on shipping charges. I get my motors from buyrocketmotors.com because I live local and can pick them up with no shipping or hazmat but I'm at a loss when it comes to electronics, rockets, and other accessories. So who has a list of all the rocket related free shipping options?
Most companies that offer free shipping bake the shipping costs into their prices.

I imagine that someone, somewhere absorbs the shipping costs as a loss-leader. My point was, in the majority of cases, free shipping isn’t.
True. But such is the case with prime, you can make up for it in quantity.

True. But such is the case with prime, you can make up for it in quantity.
The scale at which Amazon operates makes it essentially useless as a point of comparison for any rocketry vendor.

Consider many of the 3rd-party listings on Amazon that show "free shipping", where the cost of the item is the same or even more than what you would pay if you went to that 3rd party web page and bought the product at lower price and then paid for shipping. Example: 2 oz Super Gold CA on Amazon with "Free shipping", from eRockets: $24.22. Buying the same thing directly from eRockets: $18.99 + $3.25 first class mail shipping = $22.24. I don't blame eRockets for operating like this. They can't afford to give away shipping, but it really looks better on Amazon to say "Free shipping". And so it goes.

$3.25 shipping for a small item like this is completely reasonable: they're essentially passing along the cost of throwing it in the mail.

Well, we could put the USPS in the hands of the Federal Government, Everyone pay higher taxes to fund them and in return anything shipped through them would be free.
How does that sound?
Compiling lists, book marks, whatever/however is part of "Shopping" for those that take the time to save a little.
This is where you put a "Value" on your personal time. Spend a few hours to save a few dollars? Or is your time to valuable?
If the person that takes the time to make and upkeep such a list is kind and generous, they will share that list when asked, or voluntarily by posting.
Asking for help with the list should be done kindly.
Everyone's flavor for items will differ. Pointing out a selected few vendors could lead to us loosing more vendors.
With the USPS in the state it's in, I expect shipping charges to be going up come Spring.
If this COVID thing gets handled and people get back to a more normal life, so will prices on transportation fuels!

Define cheap.. :D

We average about $1.50 CAD / liter here. In Vancouver BC, they can get as high as $2/L. I know Europe can get pricey too!

This year is an exception, so prices are lower. this is based off 'pre-covid' times..

I slouch corrected. Yesterday I paid $1.37 AUD / L for 95 RON, which is about $1.35 CAD. Not too bad I guess. It cost a whole $32 to fill my Subaru Brumby (Brat) and that will get me about 400k.

Jolly Logic has always had free shipping within the continental US.
In many situations it gets bumped up to USPS Priority Mail for free as well.
Thanks John. I’ve been flying your devices for 5 years now. Any news on when the altimeter three will come back in stock? I lost my last one.

Jonrocket.com has free shipping over $50 including Hawaii and Alaska. The only issue is it takes weeks to get here.

Many of the businesses in Pt Robert’s, WA are mail box stores. It costs $100 to ship to Canada and $5 to ship to Pt Roberts so many Canadians have mail boxes in the small US town. Problem is that the border is still closed.

When the "carbon tax" is passed, fuel will go up, followed by transportation costs, followed by shipping costs. The consumer will pay for all of it, no matter whether as a regular shipping fee, or out of the price. It can't come out of the profits, since (except for maybe Estes and Aerotech) there are very little profits in the rocket business. There is no "free lunch", ever. Even when the shipping becomes entirely electric-powered the costs for the electricity, batteries (or fuel cells) and charging/fueling infrastructure will drive costs even higher.

So if you place cost above all else, total up the costs for EVERYTHING and make your decision. Don't forget the price you pay for poor service. Don't forget Sales Tax / VAT and your own vehicle operating costs if you instead drive halfway across the county to "buy local": when you figure everything, it might be cheaper to buy something out-of-state: sometimes, the tax savings offsets the shipping cost.

But I'll gladly pay a little extra for good service, whether its a local bricks-and-mortar, vendors at a launch, or a mail order vendor that takes the extra time to provide the best service he/she can.

I know how economics works... I totally agree with you. I was just curious if there were companies out there that offered "free" shipping (meaning they eat the cost). Just trying to make sure I'm not missing a better deal.
Most companies, not saying rocket vendors, but I've seen where if you buy over $100 you will get FREE shipping. Tower Hobbies is one site that offers this. They even offer discount coupons. I never thought to look if they sell model rockets, but I don't think they do. So this encourages you to buy more, but just make sure what you buy you actually need.

I'm not, I agree with him, Charging ABOVE retail is just wrong
AT shipping.GIF

Apogee.GIF
As in the example. Why is it AT can ship the same kit for $13 verses the cheapest rate that Apogee offers @ $30? With a total price difference of $50. They both have employees working for them and they both have warehouses? Lets not forget you are also paying $30 more on the kit from Apogee because you have to pay for his overhead. AT has overhead too. I'm here to support the hobby and vendors, but I'm not stupid enough to buy from TVM. You get the same kit for less than $169 if you become a member at WM. Sure you pay $30, but that's a yearly membership and allows you discounts on everything on his site in addition to pre BSS items. I never had any issues with shipping from WM and if I had any questions they were always answered. I figure if you buy a rocket of this scale you have enough knowledge and experience to build it and you shouldn't have too many questions let alone have to pay above retail to cover someone's expenses. That's just plain stupid!!! I really don't care what any of you think and if this offends you well I guess the truth hurts. I call it exactly like I see it. Oh yeah and that video that his daughter takes you on a tour of the shop. Well done, but she would have been smarter to leave the part at the end asking for college donations. Really? It's not like anyone who shops there is paying enough already for the items they buy. Complete joke!!!

Last edited:
The only rocket company I will not order from other than Apogee is Estes directly. Shipping is like $12 regardless of what you buy. Small 12” parachute with a cost of $3? Your order is now $15 for a $3 parachute.

View attachment 447594

View attachment 447596
As in the example. Why is it AT can ship the same kit for $13 verses the cheapest rate that Apogee offers @ $30? With a total price difference of $50. They both have employees working for them and they both have warehouses? Lets not forget you are also paying $30 more on the kit from Apogee because you have to pay for his overhead. AT has overhead too. I'm here to support the hobby and vendors, but I'm not stupid enough to buy from TVM. You get the same kit for less than $169 if you become a member at WM. Sure you pay $30, but that's a yearly membership and allows you discounts on everything on his site in addition to pre BSS items. I never had any issues with shipping from WM and if I had any questions they were always answered. I figure if you buy a rocket of this scale you have enough knowledge and experience to build it and you shouldn't have too many questions let alone have to pay above retail to cover someone's expenses. That's just plain stupid!!! I really don't care what any of you think and if this offends you well I guess the truth hurts. I call it exactly like I see it. Oh yeah and that video that his daughter takes you on a tour of the shop. Well done, but she would have been smarter to leave the part at the end asking for college donations. Really? It's not like anyone who shops there is paying enough already for the items they buy. Complete joke!!!

Would you please leave hobby rocketry?

Amazon Prime free shipping is a scam. All it takes is to compare a prime price to a non-prime price to see the shipping is built in to the prime price. If you buy 2 pieces, you pay 2x shipping. Bezos is genius for taking advantage of gullible consumers.

No one offers free shipping. Its built into the price.

Amazon Prime free shipping is a scam. All it takes is to compare a prime price to a non-prime price to see the shipping is built in to the prime price. If you buy 2 pieces, you pay 2x shipping.
This is not generally true for items sold by Amazon. You usually get a good price *and* free shipping, often 1- or 2-day.

However you are paying $100 whatever per year for the privilege, although that comes with assorted other benefits as well.

This is not generally true for items sold by Amazon. You usually get a good price *and* free shipping, often 1- or 2-day.

However you are paying $100 whatever per year for the privilege, although that comes with assorted other benefits as well.
Challenge. Find a Prime price on a product of your choice. If I don't find an equivalent non amazon total delivered cost I will give you my enduring respect. It is true on the 1 and 2 day service though. But Walmart dot com come close and you do not need to pay a $129 membership fee.

So buy from AT and quit whining. I know I'm going to be sorry, but you've brought it up twice so I've got to ask -- did you really watch the entire video just so you could find an excuse to complain at the end? I'm a regular Apogee customer (I regard Tim's customer service as well worth paying for) and *I* sure haven't watched the video.

Challenge. Find a Prime price on a product of your choice. If I don't find an equivalent non amazon total delivered cost I will give you my enduring respect. It is true on the 1 and 2 day service though. But Walmart dot com come close and you do not need to pay a $129 membership fee.
Well, the 1- and 2-day service with no order minimum is a huge part of the package; you can't just put that aside. And you get a pretty good video streaming service thrown in as well (which has enabled me to watch The Expanse, for which I am grateful).

All I'm saying is that Amazon isn't secretly sliming you with their free shipping, at least for products that *they* sell (vs. 3rd party sellers). They are an inconceivably large operation that has various ways of making back that money. They are not always cheapest at everything, but their prices are generally very good, and they are a very easy one-stop-shop to buy stuff, especially once they have hooked you in with Prime.

I am not saying anyone should or shouldn't buy from them.

Just chiming in with personal experience, if I just need a new parachute or something, I can order it from erockets and they'll ship it in a small, flat box for about $2. It's one of the things I really appreciate about them.
erockets are a good company.Many parts,lots of kits and finishing supplies. Very fast shipping and shipping reasonable.

Alright I'm tired of paying shipping charges. Other than amazon, who has free shipping? I love supporting Estes, Apogee, LOC and other rocket stores but I'm getting nickle and dime'd to death on shipping charges. I get my motors from buyrocketmotors.com because I live local and can pick them up with no shipping or hazmat but I'm at a loss when it comes to electronics, rockets, and other accessories. So who has a list of all the rocket related free shipping options?
Flightsketch.com

Amazon offers "free" shipping to Prime members.
And you have to pay a yearly membership fee.
For me it's worth it considering all the benefits like Prime video.
Just a couple of orders and I've recouped my fee.
Those rocket vendors that offer "free" shipping usually have a minimum order amount.
And their prices are either full MSRP or near to it, not discounted as much as other vendors.
Look at the total amount, price plus shipping, when comparing vendors.
Then there are the intangibles,
Example: would you pay a premium on price and shipping for unsurpassed customer service?
I may not, but other people might.
Amazon has weekly and monthly prime memberships also. Also they’re 2 day delivery for prime members is only with amazon products. Anything over $25 you get free shipping without being a prime member. As for prime video, any movie that’s worth watching, be ready to open up wallet again. As for free shipping from any type of courier doesn’t exist. Any business will make you pay for it one way or another in the end.
Until someone discovers a way to teleport an object from one place to your living room, you will always have to deal with shipping and receiving and everything in between.

Well, the 1- and 2-day service with no order minimum is a huge part of the package; you can't just put that aside. And you get a pretty good video streaming service thrown in as well (which has enabled me to watch The Expanse, for which I am grateful).

All I'm saying is that Amazon isn't secretly sliming you with their free shipping, at least for products that *they* sell (vs. 3rd party sellers). They are an inconceivably large operation that has various ways of making back that money. They are not always cheapest at everything, but their prices are generally very good, and they are a very easy one-stop-shop to buy stuff, especially once they have hooked you in with Prime.

I am not saying anyone should or shouldn't buy from them.
You are right. I am a prime member. Emergency purchases of small stuff is very nice. I just did some last night for some capacitors and switches.

Back