Who has free shipping?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalPh8

Reaction score
Alright I'm tired of paying shipping charges. Other than amazon, who has free shipping? I love supporting Estes, Apogee, LOC and other rocket stores but I'm getting nickle and dime'd to death on shipping charges. I get my motors from buyrocketmotors.com because I live local and can pick them up with no shipping or hazmat but I'm at a loss when it comes to electronics, rockets, and other accessories. So who has a list of all the rocket related free shipping options?

I think estes does free shipping over x$, and AC supply has free-shipping over 100$. Neither of which works if you have a hazmat order

Few rocketry vendor operates at a scale where they can afford to offer free shipping for small orders. Shipping costs money. That said, some vendors have more reasonable shipping charges than others.

Your best strategies to minimize shipping costs are:
  1. Lump together your purchases to make larger orders, so that you either (a) cross a threshold to get free shipping, or (b) dilute the cost of shipping to a smaller percentage of the overall cost
  2. If you need to make small orders, find vendors that scale shipping cost with order size. BMS and eRockets both have pretty low shipping charges for small orders (I should say, *physically* small).

If you need to make small orders, find vendors that scale shipping cost with order size. BMS and eRockets both have pretty low shipping charges for small orders (I should say, *physically* small).

Just chiming in with personal experience, if I just need a new parachute or something, I can order it from erockets and they'll ship it in a small, flat box for about $2. It's one of the things I really appreciate about them.

The profit margins on most rocketry items means that free shipping just isn't an option for most rocketry vendors. And comparing most vendors to Amazon is a really bad comparison. Amazon doesn't make much money on retail sales; they have other sources of revenue that keep them profitable.

Other than amazon, who has free shipping?
Amazon offers "free" shipping to Prime members.
And you have to pay a yearly membership fee.
For me it's worth it considering all the benefits like Prime video.
Just a couple of orders and I've recouped my fee.
Those rocket vendors that offer "free" shipping usually have a minimum order amount.
And their prices are either full MSRP or near to it, not discounted as much as other vendors.
Look at the total amount, price plus shipping, when comparing vendors.
Then there are the intangibles,
Example: would you pay a premium on price and shipping for unsurpassed customer service?
I may not, but other people might.

Very simply, there's no such thing as free. You or the vendor or both are paying for it. The vendor has to make a profit or he's out of business; if it's his sole support he has to put bread on the table, pay the utilities - if he's big enough he has a host of other expenses, taxes, even employees to pay. So he either marks product up more to pay for the shipping or makes less on the items he sells to pay for the shipping, or charges what it will cost in some measure - not just the shipper's charge, but finding/sizing a box, packing, weighing, creating labels; even if he has a daily pickup by the shipper, it's still a cost burden.

I hate the charges as well, but most of our vendors are a good long way from shipping the volume that Bezos does, and as others have said, Jeffy doesn't make his big money there.

Very simply, there's no such thing as free. You or the vendor or both are paying for it. The vendor has to make a profit or he's out of business; if it's his sole support he has to put bread on the table, pay the utilities - if he's big enough he has a host of other expenses, taxes, even employees to pay. So he either marks product up more to pay for the shipping or makes less on the items he sells to pay for the shipping, or charges what it will cost in some measure - not just the shipper's charge, but finding/sizing a box, packing, weighing, creating labels; even if he has a daily pickup by the shipper, it's still a cost burden.

I hate the charges as well, but most of our vendors are a good long way from shipping the volume that Bezos does, and as others have said, Jeffy doesn't make his big money there.
Eggtimer Rocketry flat-rates shipping charges based on an average cost of shipping for a package of that size/weight. Sometimes we make a few cents, but more often it goes over and we pay the difference. We have to pay for boxes, labels, etc., that adds to the cost. Anyone who gives you "free" shipping is either building it into the cost of their products or eating the charges and reducing their margins, and hoping you order more stuff from them in the future to make up for it.

To the OP I'm with you on the shipping charges. I think it's a complete joke to be honest with you, but it seems there is no escaping it. Best I can say is try to buy everything you need for a awhile. Kind of like stocking up and just make one shipment. Like Blast It Tom above states these places have over head and some are higher than others. You're basically stuck between a rock and a hard spot. Not much you can do. WM and Madcow have good rates and I've always received my items in tip top shape. Apogee is laughable. They not only charge above MSRP on a lot of their prices but their shipping rates are also expensive. I never buy them. The stupid video tour of their was laughable. At the end his daughter ask you if you would donate to her college fund. LOL Yeah its not like a lot of his customers are already paying ridiculous prices. It's your call. At least you can your motors without shipping or HAZMAT.

Well said - let’s try to remember that even the biggest hobby rocketry retailer is a very, very small business compared even to other hobby/leisure item industries. The biggest fish in the rocketry pond can only dream of making a tiny percentage of what the folks selling something like golf equipment or fishing stuff make!

I very much doubt that anyone in the rocketry business (maybe Estes?) finances their inventory - most are “pay as they go” where material costs are paid upfront. There is an entire financial industry to provide inventory capital and manage debt for manufacturers, distributors and retailers - highly unlikely that “Joe’s Rockets and Recovery Gear” uses commercial banks to buy paper tubes and nylon. This discussion about shipping and hazmat charges has been had many times with sellers contributing on how they charge the customer for what the fees are with no interest in making money on shipping. Like Tom said, there is no free - the shipping is accounted for somewhere - either in a separate fee or per item which is why some sellers cease charging a separate fee once the order total goes over a set amount, the shipping costs are absorbed by the typical profit from and order of a certain size. Though I’m willing to bet they settle for a much smaller markup per item, which is their choice as a business owner, to reward a customer (or provide incentive) for placing a larger value order.

Bottom line is buy from who ever you want - if Vendor B charges less for your entire order (including fees) than Vendor A by all means save some dough! But an informed consumer is a smart consumer - TANSTAAFL!

I know how economics works... I totally agree with you. I was just curious if there were companies out there that offered "free" shipping (meaning they eat the cost). Just trying to make sure I'm not missing a better deal.

Amazon offers "free" shipping to Prime members.
And you have to pay a yearly membership fee.
For me it's worth it considering all the benefits like Prime video.
Just a couple of orders and I've recouped my fee.
Those rocket vendors that offer "free" shipping usually have a minimum order amount.
And their prices are either full MSRP or near to it, not discounted as much as other vendors.
Look at the total amount, price plus shipping, when comparing vendors.
Then there are the intangibles,
Example: would you pay a premium on price and shipping for unsurpassed customer service?
I may not, but other people might.
I agree with you. I'm already a prime member.

Bottom line is buy from who ever you want - if Vendor B charges less for your entire order (including fees) than Vendor A by all means save some dough! But an informed consumer is a smart consumer - TANSTAAFL!
This is the whole premise why I inquired. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing out on a better offer elsewhere.

Just chiming in with personal experience, if I just need a new parachute or something, I can order it from erockets and they'll ship it in a small, flat box for about $2. It's one of the things I really appreciate about them.
I just placed an order with them the other day. Good service.

To the OP I'm with you on the shipping charges. I think it's a complete joke to be honest with you, but it seems there is no escaping it. Best I can say is try to buy everything you need for a awhile. Kind of like stocking up and just make one shipment. Like Blast It Tom above states these places have over head and some are higher than others. You're basically stuck between a rock and a hard spot. Not much you can do. WM and Madcow have good rates and I've always received my items in tip top shape. Apogee is laughable. They not only charge above MSRP on a lot of their prices but their shipping rates are also expensive. I never buy them. The stupid video tour of their was laughable. At the end his daughter ask you if you would donate to her college fund. LOL Yeah its not like a lot of his customers are already paying ridiculous prices. It's your call. At least you can your motors without shipping or HAZMAT.
Is it necessary for you to go after Apogee at every possible opportunity? We get it, you disapprove of their prices. No one is forcing you to buy from them.

This is getting tiresome. I'm not sure what Apogee did to you, but they are an excellent technical resource (for free) and have a wide variety of stuff, and if they have it in stock, you can get it very quickly. You seem to work "apogee is too expensive" in WAY too many threads.

Shipping costs money. You pay for shipping on every single order you make. It "might" be hidden in the price of the product, and it might not.

try doing this hobby from outside the 'lower 48'.. Like, Canada, UK, Australia!

many clubs will do a group order with some vendors (we do Black Furday with Wildman) 5 or 6 of us on one order: on shipping charges, comes out to about $15 each, and 1 HAZMAT fee per shipment (Again, about $5 each!) and that include many many motors, and a few kits! (Mind you , we do need to wait till we all meet up to get our goodies..)

Talk to your onsite vendor.. talk to others.. I have three friends (local), and we will all call each other when we want something, so we can 'piggy back' on their order to further reduce shipping..

There is usually always a post / thread about someone who goes ballistic with HAZMAT fees, as they are buying 1 motor.. so, shipping & HAZMAT for an H242.. "I could buy two for that!!!"

Support your local hobby shop. they may not sell a lot of rockets, but if asked nicely they likely can get you one..

Some big stores (Walmart?) will sell 3rd party stuff, and sometimes have it shipped (free) to your local store

I'd be thrilled just to have rocketry items available to us in Canada! Its not easy getting stuff up here. Shipping is also expensive, but that's a good excuse for moderation and lumping orders together.

FlightSketch has free shipping over $35. $3 flat rate for under $35.

LOC, Mach1, Aerotech, Loki, Estes, Quest, Aero Pack, Dino Chutes, Semroc & more

https://flightsketch.com/store/

Tried to order a couple Flightsketch units but no reply to any of my requests.

I'd be thrilled just to have rocketry items available to us in Canada! Its not easy getting stuff up here. Shipping is also expensive, but that's a good excuse for moderation and lumping orders together.

Tried to order a couple Flightsketch units but no reply to any of my requests.
The Mini altimeter is the only flight computer/tracker they have “live” - it works great by the way, super easy Bluetooth interface. The Comp, SST and Sport are not available yet...

The Mini altimeter is the only flight computer/tracker they have “live” - it works great by the way, super easy Bluetooth interface. The Comp, SST and Sport are not available yet...

Thats right, been trying to buy a couple of the FS Mini for a few weeks now.
Doesnt look like its going to happen.

Thats right, been trying to buy a couple of the FS Mini for a few weeks now.
Doesnt look like its going to happen.
PM FS owner Russ Parish (gtg738w) he posted on this thread today just a bit ago...odd that you can’t get in touch, I had a minor problem (I bought a replacement battery that was completely dead and thought something was wrong with my Mini until I checked the brand new dead battery!) and contacted FS via email - it took a few days but they got back to me...

PM FS owner Russ Parish (gtg738w) he posted on this thread today just a bit ago...odd that you can’t get in touch, I had a minor problem (I bought a replacement battery that was completely dead and thought something was wrong with my Mini until I checked the brand new dead battery!) and contacted FS via email - it took a few days but they got back to me...

Tried that as well, along with email and a FB message so far.

You guys have cheap petrol too.

Define cheap.. :D

We average about $1.50 CAD / liter here. In Vancouver BC, they can get as high as $2/L. I know Europe can get pricey too!

This year is an exception, so prices are lower. this is based off 'pre-covid' times..

Back