Who flys RC planes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(a) A Stephens Aero "Diddlerod".

(b) a readytoflyfun.com Skyseeker

(c) I have a DJ Aerotech Chrylis e-conversion under construction.

Me, me!

Parkzone Cessna (now retired)
Parkzone Typhoon 2
Parkzone Vapor
(noticing a trend?)

Hopefully soon a Parkzone Su-26m, if it's ever released.

I want to scratchbuild something sometime for the Vapor brick (actually planning on using it for my B-rocket glider entry at NARAM), but really looking forward to that 6-channel AR6400...

Very nice! :)

Tower Trainer 40
Tower Voyager (this is the last Tower Hobbies ARF I'll EVER have!)
I'm building a Tower Contender, slowly
I have a Sparrowhawk that should get it's first flight this weekend
And I have a KMP Dauntless on order

Now all I need is a foamie for the backyard.

Sig Kadet
Tower Trainer 40
Sig Kougar
Telemaster
Hanger 9 Wild Twist 40
Hanger 9 pts Mustang:)
and a couple Airtronics Q-tee trainers
Larry

I used to build them and crash them.

I cannot honestly say I ever flew a RC plane.:eek:

I think I crashed a Gentle Lady 4 times in one day until it was just unusable.

My last build was a scale 54" Citabria with a cobalt 40 geared electric and four 6 cell ni-cads. That sucker could turn a 10-6 prop at 6,600 RPM. Scared the &^%* right out o me so I sold it!

I then flew stick a tissue rubber...much easier to do. For me.:rolleyes:

Then I got back into rockets.:D

Last edited:
Me, me!

Parkzone Cessna (now retired)
Parkzone Typhoon 2
Parkzone Vapor
(noticing a trend?)

Hopefully soon a Parkzone Su-26m, if it's ever released.

I want to scratchbuild something sometime for the Vapor brick (actually planning on using it for my B-rocket glider entry at NARAM), but really looking forward to that 6-channel AR6400...

Works well!

I've got a parkflyer (Sky Fly) for the park behind my house and a scratch built foamie with a 42" wingspan in the trunk of my car, just waiting for the wind to get below 10 MPH for it's first flight.

Chris

For "real flying", an electric sailplane, converted from a homemade HL Sailplane with a unique tail I designed (it was the first time I was trying a V-tail. So I compromised with with half of a "Vee" and half of a "T", and named it VeeT). Couple of photos below.

For fun flying, some Air Hogs Aero Aces "jets" (have also done them piggybacked on a rocket) .

Plus a whole lot of R/C Rocket Boosted Gliders.

Long long ago, I started with an Ace "Baby" rudder only system on gliders tossed off a hillside. but did not really learn to fly R/C until I to a multi-channel radio and flew a Goldberg Ranger 42 ARF plane, on a .049 engine, in 1978.

In 1980, I started to fly R/C B/G's, first rudder-only (with the Ace Baby system), and a few months later elevator-rudder with Cannon super-micro radio gear (about 2.75 oz total R/C mass). First R/C model I ever flew in a thermal was the one with that Cannon gear, for over 10 minutes.

in 1981, built a Goldberg Gentle Lady sailplane and used a Hi-Start to fly it to learn and practice thermal flying.

By 1986, I finally had learned enough boost piloting skills to fly the 8 second boost of an E6, in an R/C R/G.

By then I'd already done lots and lots of R/C B/G's and a few R/C R/G's that had tricks like a slide wing or slide pod. After that, I flew R/G's that did not move anything since I was able to boost them OK.

Lot and LOTS of R/C RBG's since then. No powered R/C planes since the Ranger 42 ARF bought the farm in 1980, till recent years. A few HL gliders often flown off hi-starts. But I lost access to a site with grass short enough to hi-start, so a few years back I went electric. And those Aero Aces are just so easy and fun to get out to fly when it's not too windy for them.

Here is a link to a thread where I posted some glider pics, a few F/F, most R/C:

https://rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=3954&postcount=14

- George Gassaway

DSCN0661.JPG

DSCN0226.JPG

I used to. Now that I sold all my stuff, there is a flying field 2 miles from my house. :rolleyes:

ref_small.jpg

I've never flown R/C airplanes, but a few weeks ago when I was working on a rocket in my driveway, a neighbor introduced himself. We started talking and I learned that he and a friend fly R/C planes. They have an electric plane that carries a rocket glider that is air-started after being dropped from the carrier. The glider uses an Aerotech G motor. They have a live video connection between the planes and monitors they wear as they fly the planes so they get a "first person view" of the flights.

You can see some of their videos at Vimeo.com (search for Quadstar or Funjet). One thing I found especially interesting about the videos is that they fly at a schoolyard across the street from my neighborhood. So, I actually spotted my house in some of the videos.

-- Roger

For "real flying", an electric sailplane, converted from a homemade HL Sailplane with a unique tail I designed (it was the first time I was trying a V-tail. So I compromised with with half of a "Vee" and half of a "T", and named it VeeT). Couple of photos below.

For fun flying, some Air Hogs Aero Aces "jets" (have also done them piggybacked on a rocket) .

https://rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=3954&postcount=14

- George Gassaway

George - which rocket do you piggy back the aero ace on? That sounds like fun :)

George - which rocket do you piggy back the aero ace on? That sounds like fun :)
It is a custom-made model. Three 18" lengths of BT-55. The lower 18" is the main body. The upper two 18" pieces are a 36" nose section, plus nose cone.

Actually it carries two Aero Aces jets, for symmetry ( it probably would boost OK with one, but I also wanted it to be a 2-pilot project). No hooks needed. A piece of BT-50 secures the back end of the jet at it's simulated exhaust cone. And a piece of Quest 20mm tubing holds the nose of the plane in place. The 20mm tubing is glued to the upper section, so when ejection goes off, it separates and lets the jets fall free. Flies on a D12-3 to about 300 feet. No need for more altitude, since much higher would boost it out of radio range.

- George Gassaway

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

Count me in... Started flying slope gliders in 1968 out in Half Moon Bay, California. Went on to study Aero Engineering at Cal Poly and eventually wound up in the U.S. Marines flying some of their airplanes. All through that period I kept a few fingers in both R/c and rocketry. (Although not to the extent of guys like George... -salute-).

Now days I divide my spare time between designing and building and occasionally flying. Currently the only thing I mess around with is an R/c modded Ecee Thunder. It is a great platform for testing different servos, voltage regulators, 3v rate gyros, dc/dc converters, etc. Hopefully, this summer, I hope to finish a R/c electric/rocket hybrid design. It uses an Art Hobby Zuni DLG wing and is about the same size as the Estes StratoBlaster. (Photos below - build log here.)

rt-front.jpgrearmockup_view.jpgView attachment 4796

Here's the R/C ECEE Thunder

View attachment 4794View attachment 4797

Regards,

DJ Miller

aka: FlyBack

i fly RC but nothing above electric park fliers, i looking towards rocket boosted RC i just need to find the time

I have crashed a couple :p
Cheers
fred

I usually crash within seconds of launching a plane. It sure took the fun out of the hobby fast.

Plus the attitude of the local R/C guys about newbees was...not what I would have expected.

Not exactly "civil". Actually it seemed down right rude.

Now a month or so ago I went to a local hobby shop and the owner had me try an indoor R/C helicoptor.
I managed to fly it around the shop and even landed it right back on the box on the counter. I never would have believed I could do that!:eek:

Last edited:
My father and I used to fly RC planes together several years ago.

I've also noticed that diehard RC fliers seem to be intimidated by rocket fliers. Not too long ago I sold my RC plane and when I mentioned to the guy that I fly high power rockets, he got strangely quiet for a few moments.;)

Fortunately the club we flew with were mostly retired older guys but they would go out of their way to help newcomers but I've heard of some clubs having bad attitudes toward newcomers as well.

I usually crash within seconds of launching a plane. It sure took the fun out of the hobby fast.

Are there any clubs around you that will teach you how to fly with a buddy box? I learned how to take off, fly the plane, and land doing that. An RC flight simulator also helps a bunch.

I've also noticed that diehard RC fliers seem to be intimidated by rocket fliers.

I've been asked a few times if I could come out and fly some rockets for the club. I wonder if RC clubs need a waiver to fly...

Plus the attitude of the local R/C guys about newbees was...not what I would have expected.

Not exactly "civil". Actually it seemed down right rude.

One of the local AMA clubs is having a 'beginners day' at their field. They'll have instructors and trainers on hand. I may go, just because I still have trouble lining up the runway on final approach...

I have the following but, not all have had their maiden flights yet. I still consider myself a novice r/c flyer.

Hobbyzone Cub - Great Intro into R/C
Hangar 9 Alpha - Great Intro into Glow
Hangar 9 Ultrastick - Great Second/Third Plane; acrobatics
Top Flite A6M, Hollywood, Zero (Saburo Sakai colors)
Top Flite F4U, Boyington #883
Top Flite P-40, Welch Pearl Harbor
Top Flite P-51(B), unbuilt but will be Pacific colors

Plans for Ziroli B-25 (for Dolittle's Raid)

After playing with a few $20 foam RC's my daughters expressed a STRONG interest in something more durable. We ordered J3 Piper Cub RTF which had been back ordered for a month but is shipping to us now.

Looking forward to trying it, apparently is a great beginners model.

I stopped counting at 40... :rolleyes:

I have many planes in the hangar--foam wings, foam park flyers, foam EDFs, built-up park flyers, built-up EDFs and even a few larger glow planes (.40 size) that I flew ~25yrs ago that have been converted to EP.

I have MANY more rockets than planes. :D

After playing with a few $20 foam RC's my daughters expressed a STRONG interest in something more durable. We ordered J3 Piper Cub RTF which had been back ordered for a month but is shipping to us now.

Hey John, let me know when your girls want to L1-3. I figured they would do matching rockets (like those little dogs!) and matching the flights all at once!

Great seeing you at Red Glare.

Ben

Looks good... The radio layout might be a bit awkward though... It is usually easier when you have elevator and rudder on the same stick. Every time I have tried to fly with it on separate sticks like that I tend to dive when I want to throttle up :D. I would get an extra wing, cowl and a couple of props ordered so you don't have too much down time in the event of a crash!

I have the following but, not all have had their maiden flights yet. I still consider myself a novice r/c flyer.

Hobbyzone Cub - Great Intro into R/C
Hangar 9 Alpha - Great Intro into Glow
Hangar 9 Ultrastick - Great Second/Third Plane; acrobatics
Top Flite A6M, Hollywood, Zero (Saburo Sakai colors)
Top Flite F4U, Boyington #883
Top Flite P-40, Welch Pearl Harbor
Top Flite P-51(B), unbuilt but will be Pacific colors

Plans for Ziroli B-25 (for Dolittle's Raid)

I've been flying RC for over 20 years and I still picked up a Hobbyzone Super Cub! :D Its a great flying plane... I have a CVS video camera in mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9WZ0JLCDE0

Looks good... The radio layout might be a bit awkward though... It is usually easier when you have elevator and rudder on the same stick. Every time I have tried to fly with it on separate sticks like that I tend to dive when I want to throttle up :D.
Actually, I like flying separate sticks. So I fly elevator on right stick, and “turn” on left stick, regardless if they use ailerons or rudder (I have never owned an R/C model with both ailerons and rudder. Even my shuttle orbiters use rudder!).

I can fly single stick, but not quite as well as separate sticks. I learned on separate sticks (2 channel ) on purpose, in 1977-78 (I considered which was best for me and went with separate sticks, I did not accidentally learn it that way). There was a period in 1980-82 or so when I had to use a cheap 2-channel single stick Tx. The only times since then that I have flown single stick have been when test flying someone else’s model. Or a few rare occasions when someone let me try out their 4 and 5 channel planes, which felt pretty uncomfortable.

Of course with those fun little Aero Aces jets, it is a bit different since the turning control is on the right stick, but since there is no elevator control it does not feel too goofy to fly that way. For other models, I have always disliked going from single stick to separate stick (or vice-versa) back-to-back since there is some re-adaptation that has to occur.

For the S8E-P (E R/C R/G “precision crash landing) FAI models, those have a 3rd channel for flap. That is on the throttle stick, also the “turning” stick. To prevent accidentally deploying the flap early, I have the transmitter programmed to disarm the flap mix until a toggle switch is thrown to “arm” the flap, and I hard-wired in a beeping Piezo beeper to alert me when that flap arming toggle switch is on. Other than birds like that with glide-path-control (flap or air brakes), the only other models I have had which have used 3 channels have been for throttle, separation (shuttle), or air-start as their 3rd channel, not flying surfaces. And it has always remained "left stick for turn, right stick for elevator"

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Back