Who else likes solar eclipses?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadams

Reaction score
Hi all --

My name is Andrew Adams, I've been doing rocketry for about 10 years and finally decided to get on the rocketry forum! I got my L1 in 2014, L2 in 2019, and finally L3 in 2022. Nowadays I fly most often from FAR or ROC, but I live in the Seattle area and am hoping to fly from OROC & Black Rock this year.

In the near term I'll be posting about Project SAROS, a project to launch rockets into the next 2 US-crossing solar eclipses. I'm also making some videos about it. I'm also particularly interested in rocketry as an educational tool for students, the liquid prop. to aerospace job pipeline, and getting more women & minorities into the hobby.

Nice to meet you all!

~Andrew

For those curious: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaF707Iq5F_0nDeQ0joD7mA

I drove to Greenville, SC to see totality in 2017. I, honestly, think it’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced. I’m hoping to experience it again Vermont next year.

Took this one near St. Louis in 2017. I live on the totality line for the next one, so all I need is a clear day.

View attachment 570369
Since the 2024 eclipse is April 8th, I'm more than a little worried about that "clear day" bit regardless of where we travel to in order to see it. We didn't have to go all that far for the 2017 eclipse (we went to Madras, Oregon) and after having seen it we must try to see next year's — there are no words to describe the experience.

I've seen two so far. My first one was in Aruba on February 26 1998 and my second one was in Southern Illinois on August 21, 2017. The only natural events I've experienced that felt truly spiritual. And the difference between a partial and a total is literally the difference between day and night.

Corona.jpg

Hi all --

My name is Andrew Adams, I've been doing rocketry for about 10 years and finally decided to get on the rocketry forum! I got my L1 in 2014, L2 in 2019, and finally L3 in 2022. Nowadays I fly most often from FAR or ROC, but I live in the Seattle area and am hoping to fly from OROC & Black Rock this year.

In the near term I'll be posting about Project SAROS, a project to launch rockets into the next 2 US-crossing solar eclipses. I'm also making some videos about it. I'm also particularly interested in rocketry as an educational tool for students, the liquid prop. to aerospace job pipeline, and getting more women & minorities into the hobby.

Nice to meet you all!

~Andrew

For those curious: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaF707Iq5F_0nDeQ0joD7mA
Great video and a fun project! Where might you be launching Saros from?

Well to answer the question: I also like solar eclipses. And my interest was renewed lately when I stumbled accross a few photos that made me realize they also existed on other planets, like Mars:

8425_PIA23133-16.gif

But this is just what comes to mind now when I think "eclipse". It's mostly of-topic so back to you.

Last edited:
I was in the zone for te 2017 eclipse; I threw a viewing party for my triends on my car forum; I had people from everywere, and we had a blast! I got to use an unattended 8" Dobsonian telescope during totality,(wit the proper solar filter, and got to see a solar flare rise across the limb of the moon, and seeing it in realtime was awe-inspiring!

Hey Andrew, I really liked you latest video, you have great engineering principles and gave a fantastic explanation of failure analysis even though it was kind of an embarrassing mistake. It's a great attribute for an engineer to be honest.

Though it did kill me a bit because I knew what happened immediately, from experience.

I've seen two so far. My first one was in Aruba on February 26 1998 and my second one was in Southern Illinois on August 21, 2017. The only natural events I've experienced that felt truly spiritual. And the difference between a partial and a total is literally the difference between day and night.

View attachment 570478
I was in Aruba on that day too! Not a bad destination for eclipse chasing!

I took photos in 2017 as well, one of which matched NASA's Space Station transit almost exactly - minus the Space Station transit, of course, and not that pretty orange (using a neutral density 5.0, looks like silver mylar), and of course my camera isn't nearly as good... at least I could match it by the sunspots and lunar limb... Well, I'll get my coat...

I do very much want to be ready for April 8! I'll bet you won't be able to get anywhere near Presque Isle in Erie, PA. But as @BEC said, clouds in the Northeast in April are fairly ubiquitous... say your prayers!

I built a large binocular for the 2017 eclipse. I bought two 5" f5 objectives from Surplus Shed and built the binoc around them. I put them on a break-down Dobsonian mount. It was an interesting project! And using both eyes gives one a 3D view. (Yes, I know, astronomical objects are too far away to see in 3D but it is easy to trick the brain.)

Watching the eclipse with that was wonderful. :) BTW, I named it Wall-E. Also, with Wall-E I can see the entire Veil Nebula in Cygnus. :)

Attachments

• WALL-E.jpg
    WALL-E.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 0
  • BigBinoWalle.jpg
    BigBinoWalle.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Wall-E Eclipse.jpg
    Wall-E Eclipse.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 0
I built a large binocular for the 2017 eclipse. I bought two 5" f5 objectives from Surplus Shed and built the binoc around them. I put them on a break-down Dobsonian mount. It was an interesting project! And using both eyes gives one a 3D view. (Yes, I know, astronomical objects are too far away to see in 3D but it is easy to trick the brain.)

Watching the eclipse with that was wonderful. :) BTW, I named it Wall-E. Also, with Wall-E I can see the entire Veil Nebula in Cygnus. :)
That is Awesome my Friend!!!!

WOW!!!!

WALL-E!!!!
👍

might be good comet spotting binocs?

I love it!

And Wall-E might be one of the greatest movies ever made.

Since the 2024 eclipse is April 8th, I'm more than a little worried about that "clear day" bit regardless of where we travel to in order to see it. We didn't have to go all that far for the 2017 eclipse (we went to Madras, Oregon) and after having seen it we must try to see next year's — there are no words to describe the experience.
YES this is a really big consideration for the launch site for the total eclipse. I'm chasing down a couple leads (very, very slowly), one in South Texas and one in Indiana. I'm also considering (even though it isn't a rocket) coming up with a small balloon solution as a backup because Part 101 exempt balloons can go above the clouds, and I don't want to go home empty-handed!

~Andrew

I *HATE* Them!!! Every time one comes around, either:

The weather is bad
I'm on the hen's teeth edge of being able to see anything
I'm stuck inside with something I can't get out of (say a phone call, or teaching a class)

or (more often than not)

I'm on the WRONG SIDE OF THE PLANET!!! (This includes the next two that will cross N. America)

OR

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Back