Who do you buy your High Power Rocket Motors from and why?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrobob

Reaction score
The basics:

I'm just curious about high power motors, not Estes or the smaller AeroTech reloads that some can find at stores like Fry's or Hobby Lobby. So pretty much H and above or Level 1 G's.

You don't have to answer these one by one, if you'd rather just offer a quick summary on the basic question then that's just fine as well.

1. Do you buy online or from a vendor at launches? Maybe both?

2. Why online or at launches?

Speculative answers:

a. I always buy at launches to avoid HAZMAT and shipping fees? Alternatively, I buy online and have them delivered at launches to reserve my motors and avoid fees.

b. I purchase mostly online because I rarely or ever have a high power motor vendor at my launches?

c. I buy at launches just to support my local vendor?

d. Something in between or for entirely different reasons?

3. What are your key criteria for selecting a vendor?

Speculative answers:

a. I look for the best deals and most are online or at local launches?

b. I look at motor and/or manufacturer selection and the best are online or at local launches; I really don't like to avoid compromising in motor choice?

c. Whatever else....

4. What are the traits your looking for in a vendor?

Speculative answers:

a. Ease of communication?

b. Reliability of motors being in stock; dislike of back ordering stuff?

c. Fast reliable order processing/shipping?

d. Motor pricing?

e. Whatever else...

I thought about setting up a poll but I couldn't quite figure that one out; oh well.:wink:

I'll be honest, I buy from whoever has them on sale for the lowest price. I fly CTI, so that means WildMan or Performance Hobbies. If I can, I'll pick them up at a launch to avoid HazMat and shipping costs. I like my vendors to either have them in stock or move enough motors that waiting for the next shipment to come in is a matter of no more than a couple of weeks.

I try to buy from on-site vendors whenever possible. They put in a big effort by coming out to launches and deserve our business for supporting the launches.

Onsite vendors.

Keeps them coming to the launches and I don't like paying ridiculous hazmat fees. See my sig: Order hazmat and you're on yet another government watch list.

Local brick and motor stores carry only MPR motors and hardware at best.

Art Applewhite because he's my onsite vendor and he's a nice guy.:cyclops:

Animal Motorworks is the onsite vendor for MDRA launches. They drive down to MD from MA every month. I buy from them because: a) I'm stupid and have lots of questions, b) they will demo anything before I buy it, c) they have integrity, and d) no hazmat.

1. Do you buy online or from a vendor at launches? Maybe both?

Almost always at launches

2. Why online or at launches?

The onsite folks are the ones supporting the launches I'm at. I want to encourage them to continue to do so.

I get my motors primarily from three folks:

1) Off We Go Rocketry
2) Wildman Kentucky
3) Wildman

The first two show up at our local launches; I do the website for the latter. I don't get paid, I get "stuff".

I always encourage rocketry folks to support the vendors who support their club.

-Kevin

On site vendor if there is one (usually once a year). Balsa Machining Services for online aerotech reloads. Discount for pre-orders, most 29 mm reloads are hazmat free ($6.00 shipping). Hazmat orders are done as group to split up hazmat fees. Excellent communication and service. CTI orders from Wildman once a year at the black saturday sale.

Last edited:
I don't buy that many HPR motors these days, but the ones I have bought in recent years I bought from onsite vendors. I got a bunch of motors from one of our onsite vendors who was clearing out his motor stock at 50% off. I also bought some motors from a guy at BALLS a few years back who was closing up shop due to a divorce and selling at huge discounts. (I think he wanted to reduce his ex-wife's 50% share by selling cheap or something like that.)

I know guys in our club who will make large orders when Wildman or someone else has large discounts because our main onsite vendor typically charges full retail plus he has to charge sales tax. Our main onsite vendor still stays pretty busy at launches and our other onsite vendor never showed up last year at all.

Last edited:
Animal Motorworks is the onsite vendor for MDRA launches. They drive down to MD from MA every month. I buy from them because: a) I'm stupid and have lots of questions, b) they will demo anything before I buy it, c) they have integrity, and d) no hazmat.

The folks from AMW are great people to do business with. AMW also supports CMASS launches I almost always end up grabbing something from them.

I buy mine (ours, includes my wife, too eh? :) ) pretty much exclusively from Jack at What's Up Hobbies.

He comes to all our launches and supports us...so it's my mission to take care of the man and give him our business. Usually we buy stuff at launches, odds and ends, a H here or a J or M there. We put together a $3,000 motor order at the beginning of the season, too.

Loyalty has its benefits...we give Jack our business...he shows up at launches.

Onsite vendors.

Keeps them coming to the launches and I don't like paying ridiculous hazmat fees.
See my sig: Order hazmat and you're on yet another government watch list.

Local brick and motor stores carry only MPR motors and hardware at best.
Just as a FYI, as someone that puts people on watch lists, APCP is NOT a flag. Now, pinacolyl alcohol, that's a different story...or perhaps iodine...we know what you might be making, and know what's hard to get to make your bad stuff. APCP? Who cares.

All the best, James

I try to buy from on-site vendors whenever possible. They put in a big effort by coming out to launches and deserve our business for supporting the launches.

Exactly - I want the on-site vendors, such as WhatsUpHobby.com to continue to be viable. I appreciate their dedication to the hobby.

1-Mostly on site vendor HPR , wife also buys a few ABC's on site with sales tax onsite still under msrp
2-Wildman BS sale to mix in/when no on site vendor which does happen , due to bad winter here I haven't used a single BS motor yet
3-Loki loads Chris Rocket Supplies

Whoever has the best deal on what i want when I want it, plain and simple.

Our local NAR club has a member who is an Aerotech dealer. He turns in orders about every quarter. He gets us great prices and I buy what I need from him. If I know I am going to a big regional launch like Thunderstruck or Midwest Power, I still order from him that way I am sure to have the motor I want before and will have time to build it before I leave home. I just want to support my local vendor who is also my friend.

Having said that, I have purchased from Wildman at the regional launches.

My situation is a bit different from others.

The answer I'D LIKE to give is "onsite vendors" for all the reasons given in earlier posts. We all should support the vendors who show up at launches as much as possible. And I have bought from them on occasion - will continue to do so when the opportunity arises.

However, I fly solo the vast majority of the time. I'm far away from any club, and I only have the opportunity to attend an actual "club launch" or regional event once or twice a year. At my launch site there is no one there but me - meaning no vendors to buy from. So, most of the time I buy from whoever I can get the best price/service from - a fair bit from online vendors (Performance Hobbies, Wildman, Loki, Giant Leap), or quite often from someone who happens to be selling off some of their personal stash. I definitely stock up during the super sales that some vendors do from time to time.

s6

I always buy from Performance Hobbies (our onsite vendor).

I buy from him because buying online +shipping is always more than buying from him.

I look for communication and cheap pricing in a vendor.

Most of the high power motors I've bought were at Black Rock launches from Karl Baumann. If he's not there then whoever but I always stock up. I got 4 H's and a J in the stash. I hope the only high power motor I get this year is a CTI M2250 for a future 3rd level attempt and that I plan on getting through a local dealer.

Back