Who are your rocketry idols?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up a competitor. I idolized George Gassaway, Terry Lee and Jerry Irvine (just kidding!). There are others but those are the two on my Mt. Rushmore. More to come. The last spots rotate with age and interest.

I also loved SNOAR news and one or two other rags.

Has anyone in the hobby inspired you or helped you progress in this hobby?

PS. And Korey Kline.

Last edited:
Wow- there are so many I've received help and kindness from along the way.
Kevin Funk-our defacto leader for all things LPR and borderline MPR back in the day. The man was amazing as he had CF and was wheelchair bound. Single handedly founded Discount Rocketry out of his garage, published the newsletter, immortalized Ms. Boosters by calendar and generally ignored what some have considered a life limiting illness.
From the same crew:
Jim Flagg (and son Justin) Nothing but encouragement and help
Alex Boyce (before Boyce Aerospace, I had to leave before that or we would have been partners)
Scotty Bartel-before Black Sky; He worked on the GetAway Specials for the Shuttles I was helping to build the Cargo Bay airframes for.
Others were Tommy Billings, when he was making altimeters on his kitchen table in Colorado. Always had time to talk long distance and always encouraging- Alex and I got the first Es236 stagers with hand written instructions he overnited to us before a big launch.
And Mr Darrell Mobley- the sole reason I got back online after turning my back to on-line chatting. Somehow he knew what a fine group of folks you are and convinced me to come back and I still have no idea how. But I'm glad I did. All of YOU TRF'rs keep me going sometimes, thru the humour, comraderie, patience and expertise...I have to thank everybody here for that.

Darrel Mobley - For creating Rocketry Online and Rocketry Planet
Wedge Oldham - For building the Largest flying Nike Hercules
Terry McCreary - For Everything Rocketry especially his book!
Richard Nakka - A True Rocket Scientist

I don't know what Gary you are thinking of, but for me it is Gary Buck, owner/founder of Rocket R&D and a forefather of high power rocketry in the Midwest.

I grew up a competitor. I idolized George Gassaway, Terry Lee <snip>. There are others but those are the two on my Mt. Rushmore.

Terry Lee was an amazing competitor and just as humble as they come. I swear, he could coax performance out of a brick! But the most amazing thing about Terry is his ability to find his rockets on the ground. I've seen him go into the woods to retrieve his model, and find not only his own, but a half dozen others that folks had been unable to find for months/years. Mark "Bunny" Bundick used to say that Terry had the secret ability to fly and that is how he could locate is models. Those of us in NC theorized that by gently humming "Hounddog" Terry could summon the ghost of Elvis, who would hover over the lost models. Terry and I competed together as The Dixie Cats team during the 1985 flying season.

A little tongue in cheek but:

Frank Kosdon - for selling me beers during evenings on the flight line when supplies were running low... and reminding me to launder my shorts every launch. :wink:

Jerry Irvine - for always providing drama and entertainment.

Alex Boyce - my partner in various crimes.

But without a doubt, Kevin Funk. He was San Diego rocketry in every sense. An incredibly fun guy to be around that never let his physical limitations limit his good will and humor. I miss him dearly.

Like you, I go back to the days before high power, before the Internet, back to the golden years of model rocketry. I idolized Vern Estes and G. Harry Stine. I always wanted to meet the folks I read about in "Model Rocketry" magazine, like Ed Pearson, Dick Nelson, Howard Kuhn, Bob Parks, Bruce Blackistone, John Langford, Jay Apt, and so many more. BTW, I did eventually meet Estes and Kuhn.

Like you, I go back to the days before high power, before the Internet, back to the golden years of model rocketry. I idolized Vern Estes and G. Harry Stine. I always wanted to meet the folks I read about in "Model Rocketry" magazine, like Ed Pearson, Dick Nelson, Howard Kuhn, Bob Parks, Bruce Blackistone, John Langford, Jay Apt, and so many more. BTW, I did eventually meet Estes and Kuhn.

Howard would show up at select events with CMR on wheels. The storage bins in his shop were portable and would fit in the back of his van. He could run his shop out of a 1974 Dodge (or whatever it was)!

Crazy Jim. I first saw him launching a TV on......TV. Then I learned so much about HPR from him here.

Vern Estes
Gleda Estes
Carl McLawthorn
OK...and Jim Flis if I have to.

Sorry; but all I worship are false idols and graven images.

Now where did I put that Golden Calf?

I don't have any rocket idols but I do thank Vern Estes for his contribution to rocketry as we know and love it today.

Crazy Jim, one of the nicest guys you could meet at a launch. Full of great stories, great advice and all around great guy.

Tim Lehr.
Crazy Jim..
Claude Paquin...

And, anybody else who dares too scheme...dream...create...then let it ALL hang out...whether they become a hero or a zero.

Last edited:
I don't have any idols either, but I do admire most everyone in the two clubs I fly with and the camaraderie we all share. There is a select few who make it special and a few who are very talented with their gifts of modeling and one more who made gifts of his models. Thank you.

I don't idolize anyone one. I do look up to and respect dedicated people like....
Carl McLawhorn and his wife At Semroc. Actually saw their shop once.
Vern and his wife
I recall seeing those tiny Estes ads in my favorite comics. I was 6-7 in the 60's and the space race was everything to me. I sent off for a catolog then later that summer ordering the eletro launch starter with the Alpha. I think it even came with 3 A8-3's

I like reading the work and wealth of knowledge offered by
Jimmy Yawn
Scott Fintel
and Richard Nakka

For me rocketry is learning and sharing as my father did with me and I did with my daughter and now my grandkids.

Big Bertha. She taught me a lot when I was but a young man.
whistle_zpsfd613692.gif

In no particular order, these names have directly helped me in Rocketry..(a lot I have known well) ..or awed or inspired me.

Frank Kosdon
Mark Clark
Paul Robinson
Darrel Mobley
The Vaughn Brothers
John Coker
David Popkin
Greg Muri
John Ritz
Ray Halm
Jim Scarpine
Chuck Sackett
Mike Ward
Uncle Ronnie Shultz and Deb (LOC)
Wedge Oldham
Gary Buck
Korey Kline
And all those RRS and PRS guys that go worship Liquids out in the Mohave.

In no particular order, these names have directly helped me in Rocketry..(a lot I have known well) ..or awed or inspired me.

Frank Kosdon
Mark Clark
Paul Robinson
Darrel Mobley
The Vaughn Brothers
John Coker
David Popkin
Greg Muri
John Ritz
Ray Halm
Jim Scarpine
Chuck Sackett
Mike Ward
Uncle Ronnie Shultz and Deb (LOC)
Wedge Oldham
Gary Buck
Korey Kline
And all those RRS and PRS guys that go worship Liquids out in the Mohave.

Good list. I would add CJ, Tim Lehr, and Tom Binford.

To the already great names listed above, I have to add Mike Kruger at Cosmodrome. Though we've never met, his Nike Apache kit started me down this path 15 years ago. While others have come and gone, he continues to put out top quality scale mid power kits that are outstanding to build and to fly. I now have all of his kits and eagerly await the next offerings.

Mike, I really hope to have a chance to buy you a beer someday!

Cheers,
Michael

Uncle Bob (Baker, LTR)
Kosdon
Some of the others posted
I am not good with the term "Idol" more inspiration, mentor, or muse.

Mark

Frank Kosdon
Chuck Mund
Ron and Deb Shultz
Gary Rosenfield
Chuck Sackett
Mike Ward
Korey Kline
Paul Robinson
Wedge Oldman

Back