Whistler's Mother

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thingiverse has a couple of rocket whistles.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126800
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1128929
Maybe something of use.
These look like really interesting concepts. As usual, the actual flying is the real test. The thing about whistlers is that the best opportunity for hearing them is when they are the closest, but that is when the motor is the loudest. After the motor dies down, the whistler is rapidly getting farther and farther away from the listener.

These look like really interesting concepts. As usual, the actual flying is the real test. The thing about whistlers is that the best opportunity for hearing them is when they are the closest, but that is when the motor is the loudest. After the motor dies down, the whistler is rapidly getting farther and farther away from the listener.
Need an ultra-short boost time, like the e75 or so.

Maybe. I know you can fit a micromaxx into a regular Nerf dart. It's a nice fit, and flies pretty well to very little altitude. A whistling Nerf dart might even work that way.

I still think an A10 is a better idea. Short burn, good speed when the rocket is very light, and not going too much faster that the whistle is designed for.

I built a flying pumpkin using a 12 inch plastic pumpkin pail. I made a lid and stuck a rocket up the middle. To accommodate the rail I cut out a piece from the top and bottom of the pail. That whistled. I like the nose cone idea and the half bobber idea. I have a bunch of plastic fillable balls. They come in halves. I will try drilling a hole in the top and glue them to a rockets fins and see how that works. Then the nose cone.

Another approach to Whistling rockets is using electronic sound generators. There is a new article, ' "Sounding" Rocketry' by Steven Morris in the latest May/June 2021 issue of Sport Rocketry. The author makes a stationary ground recording and claims to capture the Doppler shift. It "sounds" like a lot of new possibilities here.

The domes with holes in them didn't whistle. The split fins didn't whistle either. Next up will be actual whistles in tube fins with a funnel leading to the part you blow in. I found some on Amazon that are supposed to the loudest lung powered whistles. But at $15 each I'm not in a hurry to buy several.

The domes with holes in them didn't whistle. The split fins didn't whistle either. Next up will be actual whistles in tube fins with a funnel leading to the part you blow in. I found some on Amazon that are supposed to the loudest lung powered whistles. But at $15 each I'm not in a hurry to buy several.
I tried that without success. I think the flow OVER the whistle discombobulates whatever sound otherwise would come out THROUGH the whistle.

that said, maybe for you it will work.

Loudest Emergency Survival Whistles

I tried that without success. I think the flow OVER the whistle discombobulates whatever sound otherwise would come out THROUGH the whistle.

that said, maybe for you it will work.

I tried to test that a few months back and that theory seemed to be the case. Perhaps some strategically placed baffles to prevent air flow over the exit hole would do the trick since those loud whistles don't have a ball / pea in them?

I have an old chrome whistle, like coaches use. My Dad always used it to call the horses and dogs when it was feeding time.

I just did a bit of R&D out in the shop using my air compressor.
  • If the air moves over the upper slot, the whistle doesn't blow (like holding it out the window with mouthpiece into the air).
  • If you tilt the back down so the upper slot isn't in the slip stream of air, the whistle will blow at a low amount of air into the mouthpiece, but not as loud as when you blow through it with your mouth.
  • Too much wind speed and the internal ball sticks in the upper slot.
So I guess the pipe organ design, as originally discussed, or the nerf style are preferred going forward?

View attachment 447765

Last edited:
From all that I've read (not just this thread) it really seems that your chance of getting your rocket to whistle is only about two or three times better if you're trying than if you're not. :confused:

As in the case of the F4U Corsair. It wasn't designed to whistle.... yet the Japanese referred to at as "The Whistling Death"

1620682528658.png

I built an Estes Screaming Mimi then flew it using an Aerotech 24/60 F-35.
The rocket flew great, but you couldn't hear the whistles over the sound of the motor.

Back