Whistler's Mother

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be sure to check the stability with the CG shifted back.Or maybe cut the plastic tube away from the head. Or even just cut the tube even with the bottom of the head and leave it attached.

I think the engine+mount will weigh less than the finger pull. I don't know if craft body tubes are strong enough to withstand the "doink" of landing nose first. Does BMS make heave wall BT20?

I think the engine+mount will weigh less than the finger pull. I don't know if craft body tubes are strong enough to withstand the "doink" of landing nose first. Does BMS make heave wall BT20?

I use full length couplers to stiffen body tubes. Makes them very strong (and kind of heavy).

Hammer Head Dwg Rev 04 Sheet 3 of 13.jpg

Last edited:
The whistling Nerf Darts arrived. Now I have to decide how to mount them on a rocket. Should I take the heads off and glue them to a rocket or mount them intact along the body tube. Any suggestions? Also do you guys and gals think it should be a fast rocket or a slow rocket. I'll start playing with them a little later.

The whistling Nerf Darts arrived. Now I have to decide how to mount them on a rocket. Should I take the heads off and glue them to a rocket or mount them intact along the body tube. Any suggestions? Also do you guys and gals think it should be a fast rocket or a slow rocket. I'll start playing with them a little later.

I'd do a string swing test once you get them to get a feel for speed. But in reality.. even a slow rocket is crazy fast.

How many darts do you have? It maybe best to try a few different methods.

As to speed, I wholeheartedly agree wil Lake; relative to the rubber band launch those are made for, there's no such thing as a slow rocket. My guess is that slower is better, since you'll be way above the design speed no matter what. Regardless of anyone's guess though, you should just conduct experiments.

Perhaps some sort of screen or fabric (mask) in front of the whistle "mechansim" would slow the air down so the whistle would work?

I tried to get them to whistle last night. I blew on them and swung them on a string and could not get them to whistle. I'll tape them to a rocket parallel to the body and see what happens.

Had a nice lunch today. It's warmed up nicely, the snow is starting to melt. After lunch, we drove to the nearby mall. Everybody in Norman is at the mall today! No clear spots! Drove down to the next mall. Found a large area the had not been plowed, had no cars on it. Tried original whistle rocket with the rubber sling. It went *way* up, but didn't whistle much. Arced over and came back down, no whistle. Hit the parking lot and bounced about 15 feet into the air! Tried it again, pulling the sling back as far as I dared, still not much whistle. Gave up, feet wet and cold. Will try tomorrow w/BP motor.

Well, no joy. I taped the 20 darts to a 22 ounce rocket with a G40 in it. No whistle was heard over the motor. And no whistle coming down. Even though the chute moved freely in the tube it stayed in the rocket. The only whistle I heard was that sick noise you hear just before your rocket tries to take a core sample. The rocket is fixable. Next I'll cut the heads of the darts off and mount them sideways.

Well. I cut the heads off the darts and glued them to a rocket. They looked like warts. I just launched it on an F-67. After the motor burned out I could hear the rocket making a noise. It was not the high pitched whistle I was expecting. It was more the sound of air moving over a rough surface. All the heads stayed on. So I would say that it didn't work. I'm thinking a split fin with the fins not in the same plane. But offset slightly. The air moving over the gap might whistle. Or maybe two fins side by side with a reed strung between them. Or maybe a pod with a propeller in it. Like the horn on a Stuka.

Attachments

• 20210305_172554[256].jpg
    20210305_172554[256].jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 23
Well. I cut the heads off the darts and glued them to a rocket. They looked like warts. I just launched it on an F-67. After the motor burned out I could hear the rocket making a noise. It was not the high pitched whistle I was expecting. It was more the sound of air moving over a rough surface. All the heads stayed on. So I would say that it didn't work. I'm thinking a split fin with the fins not in the same plane. But offset slightly. The air moving over the gap might whistle. Or maybe two fins side by side with a reed strung between them. Or maybe a pod with a propeller in it. Like the horn on a Stuka.

You should name the rocket "Screaming Zits" ;)

Dr Evil ****.gif

Looks like some of them are sideways...what...they need to be pointing towards the front...or is it just this photo?

Looks like some of them are sideways...what...they need to be pointing towards the front...or is it just this photo?
I put the heads on with random orientation because pointing them into the wind did no good. So with them sideways I wasn't sure which way would produce good results. So I just mixed them up hoping for something good to happen.

few threads on whistling rocket attempts, for the most part unsuccessful. Maybe helpful in “what has been tried and has NOT worked category”
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/whistler-fails-again-but-nice-flight.155173/
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/whistler.152099/#post-1881265
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...rf-football-whistles.62966/page-2#post-758526
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/holey-swiss-whistler-fails-again.157179/#post-1962988
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...inal-whistle-on-the-screaming-mimi-was.63240/

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/whistle-fins.32239/#post-298072

Hope this saves you some time

cannot find the post, I actually used a plastic coach’s type whistle with an air scoop in front to “duct” air through the whistle. Didn’t work.

Back