Whistler Fails Again, but nice Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Weeeelllllll......

I have tried multiple things to get a Low Power Rocket to whistle, including whizzers on the rocket, and even a plastic whistle with a funnel, no joy.

I have read about High Power rockets with split fins whistling, sooooo.

This rocket has split fins, they are NOT tapered or rounded, just flat. I figured I'd test multiple spaces, so the four fins have splits of 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2".

Flew it on B6-4, no whistle. I may try this on Quest Jet D (fins are 1/8" balsa, papered with white glue and triple filleted, so I think they will stay on) with more velocity.

Anybody have any ideas? Wondering if I need to try tapering the forward fin edges, or trying different shapes.20190930_094330.jpg Whistler1a.jpg Whistler1b.jpg

I've been thinking about this on and off, partly because of probably your posts on the subject. And I've got an idea.

when you blow into a whistle you're making air flow down the interior, but the air is basically still on the outside. Try blowing a whistle in a strong wind; it doesn't work so well.

So, try mounting a whistle on the side of a rocket under a shroud. Actually, mostly under a shroud, but with the mouth end sticking out. Air comes in through the mouth end but the air around the whistling slot is more or less still relative to the whistle body. The shroud as to have sufficient volume for air above the slot to vibrate, and should be open at the bottom to let the sound out.

To make it less bulky and bumpy, you could cut a window in the body tube and bury some or most of the whistle's tube inside the rocket tube.

Seems scotch tape holding keychain cams whistle every video. Now where to mount the tape!

Consider the motor burn time. The noise from the motor will drown out the whistle. Black power motors burn for a relatively long time. Try a short burning composite motor so you can hear the fins whistle during coast. This is what I do with my high power whistlers. I think there are some 18mm D21 composite motors.

Consider the motor burn time. The noise from the motor will drown out the whistle. Black power motors burn for a relatively long time. Try a short burning composite motor so you can hear the fins whistle during coast. This is what I do with my high power whistlers. I think there are some 18mm D21 composite motors.

I remember when I had my Screamin' Mimi, the whistle was only audible for almost a full second, and only after the actual propellant in the D12-5 had burned off. It HAD to be that motor because the C11s that came out about the same time didn't give the rocket enough speed, a D12-3 would deploy the parachute before I could hear anything, and I didn't trust a D12-7 to fire in time because that rocket didn't get much altitude because of all the fin drag.

Back