Which V-2 should I get??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachsta

Reaction score
there are so many v-2s out there which is the best for a 3" maybe 4" diameter? im considering polecat aerospace's v-2 but its a bit pricey. i am also looking at loc's 4" v-2 and public enemy's 3'' and 4'' kits but i want to know what quality they are? are there any other v-2 kits in the 3'' to 4'' range?

Polecat's V-2 comes pre fiberglassed and includes a fiberglass nose cone, which is where the expense comes from.I can't really speak about other kits, but I know Andy from Polecat really makes a top notch kit that is suitable to fly on just about anything you throw at it. I have seen some of his simpler kits fly on motors ranging from G-79's to K-550's with no problems at all.

Just my $.02.

-Chris

I bought the PE 4" V2 because I wanted the 38mm mount. It's a good and simple kit. One of the cheapest too. Here's a photo, I can't wait to fly it.

US Rockets is about to release several different size V2 kits (they're on his website but not on the InstaShip page). Might want to drop Mr Irvine an email to find out when they'll be available...

HTH,

havent had the best experiences with usr id rather buy from another company

Originally posted by bachsta

Did you contact Jerry about your issues? I have had excellent communication with him when any problems arise..

Nobody or no company is perfect.

Mountainside Hobbies is a nice kit and close to scale , the addition of adjustable noseweight , chute protector , long shock cord and nylon chute make it a great deal.. I built mine for 38mm but haven't been able to fly it as of yet.

Hey Bachsta-

I had a blast building my Polecat 4" V2. Only had one flight with it so far and it was a little underpowered on a Pro38 1 grain G69. I'll probably rebalance it for the 2 grain H before flying it again. The kit is a great build and goes together smoothly.

I would like to resolve any issues if they are even resolveable from my end.

If it is just a matter of paying your bill before you order more, well, then, what can I say?

It sounds like you are going to order a V-2 from -somebody- no matter what.

Jerry

Originally posted by lalligood
US Rockets is about to release several different size V2 kits (they're on his website but not on the InstaShip page). Might want to drop Mr Irvine an email to find out when they'll be available...

HTH,

U.S. Rockets V-2's ALL have 3:1 ogive cones as the basis, NOT a compromise blow molded plastic nose cone, repurposed from sport kits, like IIRC ALL the others.

The 2.25" and 3.16" are BALSA and the REDICULOUSLY HUGE 12" has fiberglass cones.

FYI

I invite consuers to send me copies of their V-2 scale data in case I have missed something.

Jerry

If anybody has any problems with USR for any reason, please tell me. Please. And how to fix it :)

yeah, i have one problem....currently you guys arent shipping motors....to fix it, we need to organize a national launch where all the ATF is invited.

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine
U.S. Rockets V-2's ALL have 3:1 ogive cones as the basis, NOT a compromise blow molded plastic nose cone, repurposed from sport kits, like IIRC ALL the others.

Polecat V2's have fiberglass nose cones and are super tough.

-Chris

well a. i think usr's v-2s and other kits in general are incrdibly over priced and b. for just a little bit more i could by a bigger kit thats better quality elsewhere. just my 2cents

than usr's? i've found some of the best priced rocket kits from that company...a 2 stage 29mm rocket for 50 bucks?!? comeon...you can't beat that with a lead pipe.

2 stage and its like minimum diameter if were thinking of the same rocket and that would be cheaper to buy the parts elswhere and build it

bachsta, thats an inherant fact. but, thats the same with ANY kit. youre not JUST paying for the materials, you're paying for the design. its someone elses design. they had to test it. they had to make it stable, they had to be sure it works. it takes time to do those things, thats what you're paying for. also, if you can find me a 2 stage rocket for under 50 bucks with 29mm MMT's then be my guest. post it up, give a link, or PM me, because im seriously interested.

Originally posted by r1dermon
bachsta, thats an inherant fact. but, thats the same with ANY kit. youre not JUST paying for the materials, you're paying for the design. its someone elses design. they had to test it. they had to make it stable, they had to be sure it works. it takes time to do those things, thats what you're paying for. also, if you can find me a 2 stage rocket for under 50 bucks with 29mm MMT's then be my guest. post it up, give a link, or PM me, because im seriously interested.

Let’s not forget the little details that the kit price also covers...fabricating rings and fins, building and proofreading the instructions, and kit packaging. And lets not forget the profit markup. I hate to sound like a Ferengi but you do not stay in business without some profit.

I happen to like USR kits. USR kits are a little pricey, but all Rocket kits are pricey. There is not a huge market for Model Rocket kits like DVD players for the manufactures to tap into and lower their cost via volume selling. The Estes Exterminator and the USR Interroc are about the same price point, but I consider the USR Interroc a much better kit. We all live in a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" world.

Just got my USR High Test 2650 a few days ago. It will be a challenge to build it with an altimeter and an air-start-board, but that is how you grow. Plus a clustered 29mm 2 stage rocket under $80.00? Good price point.

For you r1dermon I assume you were looking at the USR Two-The-Limit kit. With the discovery of little-bittie Altimeters and remote-start boards from PICO Altimeters, the potential for modifying this kit to dual-deploy and Air-start in now possible.

In the end, it comes down to what is fun, and what works for you. This is a hobby after all. If we want aggravation, well that is what Work is for... :kill:

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine

The 2.25" and 3.16" are BALSA and the REDICULOUSLY HUGE 12" has fiberglass cones.

FYI

I invite consuers to send me copies of their V-2 scale data in case I have missed something.

Jerry

If anybody has any problems with USR for any reason, please tell me. Please. And how to fix it :)

The only problem I see is that we all on TRF need to group up with you Jerry and smack your tubing vendor into shape for more tubes for your 4" and 6" kits. I would love to see more of them on the Instaship page!

:)

yes, i am speaking of the "two the limit" rocket. only because i think its a HOT design, and has real potential. however, there are other 2 stage rockets on jerry's site for 50 bucks. IMO, those things are great deals. as long as the parts are good quality...we'll see after new years though.

Originally posted by KarlD
The only problem I see is that we all on TRF need to group up with you Jerry and smack your tubing vendor into shape for more tubes for your 4" and 6" kits. I would love to see more of them on the Instaship page!

:)

Forgive me for going a little off-topic here but count me in among those who are awaiting for 4" & 6" tubes for USR. Jerry's got some great looking kits with tubes in those diameters & that's what's *barely* holding me up from placing yet another order with him. (Because he has released some really cool new kits as of late...)

Jerry, what's the ETA on these tubes??? :confused: :(

Originally posted by lalligood
Forgive me for going a little off-topic here but count me in among those who are awaiting for 4" & 6" tubes for USR. Jerry's got some great looking kits with tubes in those diameters & that's what's *barely* holding me up from placing yet another order with him. (Because he has released some really cool new kits as of late...)

Jerry, what's the ETA on these tubes??? :confused: :(

A couple of kids started up a supply company in socal. I offered to give them some business. So I had the company buy a couple of thousand dollars worth of tubes. I got them fine and they were great to work with. So I ordered twice as many more. They prepaid Euclid (and I only have to pay when we get them), and Euclid has been stiffing them since at least June.

So these poor kids are experiencing the "rocket business" from the "vendor interface" perspective.

I will order them through a different route soon, but I have always had a policy of using small vendors whenever at all possible. It has served me well over the years.

I have been trying Rockethead for parachutes with a lot of positive feedback (and typical small vendor supply problenms.

So I solve it. I double my order :) :)

That'll teach them to do business with Jerry Irvine!

Jerry

well a. i think usr's v-2s and other kits in general are incrdibly over priced and b. for just a little bit more i could by a bigger kit thats better quality elsewhere. just my 2cents

This from a guy who does not pay AND keeps reordering?

Still need that Gigantor you asked for?

Please pay your approximately $1000 bill. Or I'll tell your mommy . . .

Your statement is waayy off base considering the following comment is quite typical.

Originally posted by r1derman
than usr's? i've found some of the best priced rocket kits from that company...a 2 stage 29mm rocket for 50 bucks?!? comeon...you can't beat that with a lead pipe.

and...

youre not JUST paying for the materials, you're paying for the design. its someone elses design. they had to test it. they had to make it stable, they had to be sure it works. it takes time to do those things, thats what you're paying for. also, if you can find me a 2 stage rocket for under 50 bucks with 29mm MMT's then be my guest. post it up, give a link, or PM me, because im seriously interested.

Originally posted by KarlD
The Estes Exterminator and the USR Interroc are about the same price point, but I consider the USR Interroc a much better kit.

his is a hobby after all. If we want aggravation, well that is what Work is for...

Maybe bachsta wants to sell all those rockets he bought (without actually paying, but on his prior ordering experience), after carefully reviewing the web page and seeing the prices and sizes and many details.

He got what he ORDERED. One side of the transaction was exactly as agreed.

Maybe this was his Christmas present to me?

Jerry

Jerry and Bachsta...you two need to take this offline...TRF is not the place for settling differences.

As for the rest, let's get back on track and talk V2's guys.

Carl

Latest posts

Back