Which term is more correct?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always liked the derogatory Klingon term "Earther" as used in the TOS episode "The Trouble with Tribbles".

See also a rich Belter vocabulary from THE EXPANSE.
I was just going to suggest Earther and didn't even know about the Klingon bit. Also have to agree we should consider some Expanse vocab, esp from the Belters ;)

ter·ra fir·ma
/ˌterə ˈfərmə/

noun
noun: terra firma
  1. dry land; the ground as distinct from the sea or air.
    "they needed to rest themselves on terra firma"
Therefore, if you live on the land you are a Terran.

If you live in the air, you are an Airhead.

If you live on the sea, you are a Sea Gypsy.

ter·ra fir·ma
/ˌterə ˈfərmə/

noun
noun: terra firma
  1. dry land; the ground as distinct from the sea or air.
    "they needed to rest themselves on terra firma"
Therefore, if you live on the land you are a Terran.

If you live in the air, you are an Airhead.

If you live on the sea, you are a Sea Gypsy.

I think if you live on terra firma, the proper term is technically “firmling”.

We are Earthlings.
To future other planetary visitors, we are what ever they call our plant.
Maybe they chose to call this planet Water World because it's 70-75% water.
To them, then....we'd be Waterlings...
And them dar Watrlngs ar' terraformin that planet, while using up all the natural resources and polluting it.
Time for a another 30 day & 30 night long rain!

Sorry, but from one Watrling to another, that was 40 days and 40 nights of rain, along with the fountains of the deep being opened as well as the windows in the heavens being loosed.

Funny... I thought you were bipedal, carbon based lifeforms, descended from apes.
NO, we are not. We are species made from the Gods in their image. Obviously, they were from a planet farther from the sun than we are now. The Sun burns our skin, can cause cancer, causes eye damage, and we have not enough hair like 4 legged animals on this planet to protect us from the ultra violet rays. The gravity is also heavier, as the only other 2 legged animals on this planed has hollow bones and wings. That is why humans suffer from back problems relative to much too heavy of gravity for our posture standing. We are obviously implants from a distant civilization from another planet. We were doomed from day one. We are naturally aggressive and possessive, and all to eager to eliminate those who disagree with our point of view. And I am speaking of those that can control such aggressive methods.
Apes, NO, those are a natural species of this planet. Though I can not rule out the use of their DNA to make the human species, we are NOT a descendant of apes, chimps, or gorilla's.
There is a ring of planet debris from a previous collision, or possibly a planet destroying war. Which we may have been made to survive by some of the survivors. If this planet survived such a thing, those with the knowledge to do so would be the first to be sent into space to make sure the human's would survive elsewhere, such that has happened in the past, I believe.
Behind every Black Hole is a another Universe. The more it eats, the Universe on the other side grows. Such, our Universe is expanding. Totally backwards from the big bang theory which it should be slowing down, but ours is speeding up in expansion.
Where did it begin? A Hadrian Collider in an unbelievable up sized Universe? And where does it end? In an unbelievable down sized Universe? Live will find a way, it always has, it always will. We may not understand how or why, and it may be totally different from what we would call life. But it will always be out there, you can be sure of that.

NO, we are not. We are species made from the Gods in their image. Obviously, they were from a planet farther from the sun than we are now. The Sun burns our skin, can cause cancer, causes eye damage, and we have not enough hair like 4 legged animals on this planet to protect us from the ultra violet rays. The gravity is also heavier, as the only other 2 legged animals on this planed has hollow bones and wings. That is why humans suffer from back problems relative to much too heavy of gravity for our posture standing. We are obviously implants from a distant civilization from another planet. We were doomed from day one. We are naturally aggressive and possessive, and all to eager to eliminate those who disagree with our point of view. And I am speaking of those that can control such aggressive methods.
Apes, NO, those are a natural species of this planet. Though I can not rule out the use of their DNA to make the human species, we are NOT a descendant of apes, chimps, or gorilla's.
There is a ring of planet debris from a previous collision, or possibly a planet destroying war. Which we may have been made to survive by some of the survivors. If this planet survived such a thing, those with the knowledge to do so would be the first to be sent into space to make sure the human's would survive elsewhere, such that has happened in the past, I believe.
Behind every Black Hole is a another Universe. The more it eats, the Universe on the other side grows. Such, our Universe is expanding. Totally backwards from the big bang theory which it should be slowing down, but ours is speeding up in expansion.
Where did it begin? A Hadrian Collider in an unbelievable up sized Universe? And where does it end? In an unbelievable down sized Universe? Live will find a way, it always has, it always will. We may not understand how or why, and it may be totally different from what we would call life. But it will always be out there, you can be sure of that.
I was just going to say, we aren't descended from apes, rather we share a common ancestor. A common misconception. But now, that somehow seems inconsequential ;)

We are naturally aggressive and possessive, and all to eager to eliminate those who disagree with our point of view.
How dare you say such a thing? Die, infidel!
Where did it begin? A Hadrian Collider in an unbelievable up sized Universe?
No, in Scottland.

I was just going to say, we aren't descended from apes, rather we share a common ancestor.
None of the extant apes are decended from each other, but rather from extinct common ape ancestors. Our extinct ancestor in common with them was also an ape. We are apes.

How dare you say such a thing? Die, infidel!
No, in Scottland.

None of the extant apes are decended from each other, but rather from extinct common ape ancestors. Our extinct ancestor in common with them was also an ape. We are apes.
Indeed. Some people make illogical arguments like we can't be descended from those apes as a reason why the entire concept should not be believed. Of course, we aren't descended from "those" apes, instead we share a common ancestor (that has long been dead) with them.

I'm an apeman, I'm an ape, apeman, oh I'm an apeman
I'm a King Kong man, I'm a voodoo man, oh I'm an apeman

Back