Which term is more correct?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of us are both. And technically, either term could include non-humans.

We are Earthlings.
To future other planetary visitors, we are what ever they call our plant.
Maybe they chose to call this planet Water World because it's 70-75% water.
To them, then....we'd be Waterlings...
And them dar Watrlngs ar' terraformin that planet, while using up all the natural resources and polluting it.
Time for a another 30 day & 30 night long rain!

I call the planet “Earth”, so I’m inclined to call us “Earthlings”, “Earthers”, or maybe “Earthans”.

Funny... I thought you were bipedal, carbon based lifeforms, descended from apes.

It's all about the context of the conversation LW. If we are discussing the planet Terra, we are Terrans, If we are discussing Earth, well it's obvious we are Earthings. If Discussing Mars, you are on your own!!

If you pick the right episodes of the right shows, there are some funny ones out there. My personal favorite is "Giant ugly bags of mostly water".

-Hans

"Earth" comes down from the Germanic peoples, "Terra" from the Romans. So your ethnicity determines whether you are Terran or an Earthling.

Oh, is that where cattle/beef, sheep/mutton, deer/venison, etc. come from? Often have I wondered.

Sorry for the unwelcome seriosity; please resume silliness.

I sort of got duped here. Seems like "Terran" isn't really a word outside science-fiction. Hm. 😒

Oh, is that where cattle/beef, sheep/mutton, deer/venison, etc. come from? Often have I wondered.

Sorry for the unwelcome seriosity; please resume silliness.

Yup. Apparently some guy named "Norman" showed up among the Anglo-Saxons in 1066AD and tried to make them all speak French. Also why there are some redundant word pairs like "Cease and Desist" in legal writing.

I sort of got duped here. Seems like "Terran" isn't really a word outside science-fiction. Hm. 😒

Is "Earthling" a word outside science-fiction? I guess there isn't a lot of call for words saying "I'm from Earth" in a non-science-fiction context...

Now I'm looking for a word to pair with "Texan" to go along with "Earthling/Terran". Maybe "Texan/Austinling" but that doesn't feel quite right...

Gene Rodenberry is the definitive answer - he obviously had a lot of hindsight.

How 'bout what the Ferengi call us: "HU-MAAN"... (Remember what the Telaxions say about forks in the road...)

Archer says we're from the "Sol" system - so that is obviously what we call our solar system! :p

Back