Which sim-ware?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to use two, primarily -- RockSim when I'm piddling with a design and want to get CP/CG squared away, first.

Then, if the rocket isn't high-performance, it stays in RockSim. If it's high-performance, I then move over to RASAero for more accurate numbers without the need for lots of manual adjustment of numbers.

My biggest complaint about RockSim? The price is getting out of hand. It seems like every new version, the price goes up another $15 - $20, and now it's up to $120. With a price tag like that, I'd suggest you start by taking a look at OpenRocket.

-Kevin

This could be a poll.

I use Rocksim and VCP. I like the fin templet and alignment tools in VCP.

I use VCP and VCP only. It has worked very well for me. To simulate the flight I use wRasp32.

Both programs are freeware, no need to spend money on either of these items. Use the money you save to buy a motor.

If you go to this web site:

https://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org/

click on the "REPORTS" tab and scroll down to "NARCON 2010 Presentation"

you will find a powerpoint presentation which compares the features, capabilities costs and results of most of the sim tools people are using.

-Kerry

If you have never used simulation software before, or if you just want to simulate a 3FNC/4FNC rocket, OpenRocket is an excellent choice. Features are very limited compared to RockSim, but simulations (CG/CP and flight profile) of "traditional" rockets seem every bit as accurate as RockSim.

RockSim
RASAero
OpenRocket
WinRoc
wRASP32
AeroLab

Pretty much in that order. VCP used to be somewhere between OR
and WR, but it doesn't run on Windows 7.

Each tool has its place, depending on the complexity of the design and
what you're looking to accomplish.

Rocksim has a 30 day trial with (almost?) full functionality so you can test it.
I like it very much, lots of futures but not overly complicated. Easy to get started.

Rocksim is great, but I haven't yet decided to shell out the cash (only used the demo.)

I've started using Openrocket, and it meets nearly all my needs.

Also, some of the tools at www.thrustcurve.org are very helpful with motor selection... it's pretty bare bones, but allows you to compare a large number of motors for a given rocket all at the same time, with only a few parameters.

open rocket now reads rocksim files so you can grab a file from emrr (are there other sites with rocksim files?) for many kits

Openrocket for me and mostly due to the price.

I look at the Rocksim and can't help but thinking how many motors and kits I can buy instead. :/

Rocksim is great, but I haven't yet decided to shell out the cash (only used the demo.)

I've started using Openrocket, and it meets nearly all my needs.

Have to agree 100%. Rocksim is very feature rich and mature. That said, I'd really have to have something to write the expense down against before spending $120.

OpenRocket, on the other hand is Free. Considering how far it's come in around a year, you really have to be impressed.
It does read RS files, but it does not support many of the features RS allows. I'm sure tighter compatibility is coming in the next version.

IMHO it personal preference and the size of your wallet....

Back