Which should I start on next?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well, should I?

• Yes, if she doesn't survive, you solve the problem, if she does, she will never bark agian!

• No! That is cruel!

• Yes, if she doesn't survive, you solve the problem, if she does, she will never bark agian!

• No! That is cruel!

Results are only viewable after voting.

JRThro

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Please feel free to go on at length about why you picked the model(s) you picked. Give me your experience, the good and bad points of the various models, etc.

Thanks!

None of the above, scratchbuild!

OK, if forced, I might go for the lifting body or cruise missile. Just a bit more interesting/different perhaps?

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
None of the above, scratchbuild!

OK, if forced, I might go for the lifting body or cruise missile. Just a bit more interesting/different perhaps?

LOL... One thing I've thought about doing is bashing the two Icarus kits into a more-or-less scale Delta IV Heavy launch vehicle, if I can come up with really cheap nosecones.

Boeing link to Delta IV launch vehicles technical summary document: https://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/delta/product_card/pc_d4_tech_print.pdf

(And yes, I'd add fins.)

Kitbash... Find 2 or 3 with similar BT's and see what you can put together...

I built the Fireflash (per my son's request) and was kind of dissappointed - boring rocket

I picked the Zenith 2 because it's a great two-stager. Pic Attached.

I picked the Icarus because it flies great. One of the members of our club and TRF member rock2p flies his at every meet and it flies great.

I also picked the AGM Harpoon simply because it has sweet lines, and with a few modifications, would be a great two-stager

Jason

here's my pick:

M2Q2 is a quick, fun build, and the rocket really boogies. from that model you will learn 1) paper wrap techniques, essential before you build the Estes SR-71 you need to buy :) 2) to pack a chute very very well because in that tiny MMT it gets stuck pretty easily.

next, build either Polaris or Tomahawk SLCM, to practice lining up fins. then tackle AGM Harpoon.

What? No FlisKits?!? :(

How do you post a LPR thread/poll like that & not include at least one FlisKits rocket??? hehe

I thought I'd beat Jim to the punch :)

Hmmm....nothing of mine there either...

Then I don't wanna play!:p

ROFL... Hey guys, everything I have I either bought at Hobby Lobby, won on eBay, or someone gave it to me.

So no FlisKits or Roachwerks just yet.

Please note that Christmas is coming in two months, though.

Originally posted by cls
here's my pick:

M2Q2 is a quick, fun build, and the rocket really boogies. from that model you will learn 1) paper wrap techniques, essential before you build the Estes SR-71 you need to buy :) 2) to pack a chute very very well because in that tiny MMT it gets stuck pretty easily.

next, build either Polaris or Tomahawk SLCM, to practice lining up fins. then tackle AGM Harpoon.

I almost started the M2Q2 last night, but changed my mind.

I've got a kitbashed triple-length Quest Commander that I started out as a 4FNC rocket, but it was really overstable per VCP (CG more than 10 calibers in front of CP). So I added a second set of 4 smaller fins just about at the CG. Now it has about 3 calibers of stability per VCP. The forward set of fins is mounted straighter than the aft set, but they're still fairly well aligned. Once I fly this thing, I'm planning to submit a review of it to EMRR.

Originally posted by jetra2
I picked the Zenith 2 because it's a great two-stager. Pic Attached.

I picked the Icarus because it flies great. One of the members of our club and TRF member rock2p flies his at every meet and it flies great.

I also picked the AGM Harpoon simply because it has sweet lines, and with a few modifications, would be a great two-stager

Jason

I noticed just now that Elapid numbered his two-stage Harpoon as the AGM-85, which is a nice touch.

I voted for the Harpoon......... Just cause I love that rocket..... I hope to have mine finished in the next few days....

Elapid, that is a nice two-stager!!!! Have you launched it yet?

I like the Polaris. Not much to it, but it's a neat looking kit!

my habit is to start on 2 or 3 together , while one thing is drying I work on the other and kinda go back and forth.

Originally posted by stymye
my habit is to start on 2 or 3 together , while one thing is drying I work on the other and kinda go back and forth.

Well, I do have a Quest Pip Squeak at my office to work on over lunch, just about finished. I would work on multiple models at home, but space is limited and I have 3 little boys (ages 2, 4, and 7) who would love to get their hands on all the little pieces. I put things up on top of the china cabinet to dry.

I'll vote with Styme, as I do the same.

"Start them all!!"

I build a few at a time, simepley becauce I can glue one, then glue one then glue one... and glue airplane pieces on my airplane.

As some know, RC airplanes aer my #1 build, so, while my ribs & spars, formers & stringers, etc.. are drying, i'll have a rocket or two hanging off teh table as well!

Hello,

I voted for the Quest Tomahawk SLCM Cruise Missile. I have been getting into scale rocket kits. I really like the looks of this missile. Reminds me of the Estes Menace. Both are really cool kits.

Best regards,
Brian

Originally posted by bswan72
Hello,

I voted for the Quest Tomahawk SLCM Cruise Missile. I have been getting into scale rocket kits. I really like the looks of this missile. Reminds me of the Estes Menace. Both are really cool kits.

Best regards,
Brian

Thanks, Brian.

I'd like to look into building a more accurate scale version of the Tomahawk or Tactical Tomahawk, but I think I'll build one stock first. I've never built a model with added nose weight before, so that'll be a new thing for me when I do it.

Hey, I finally used the BT-56, BT-55 coupler, and one of the parachutes I bought from you on eBay a couple of months ago. Great prices, btw. :)

It's interesting how none of the Estes models has gotten more than 1 vote. Or is it just that I have a poor selection from Estes versus the really cool Quest ones I have?

I guess if I had a Fat Boy, Big Daddy, or something else that's popular, the vote might be different.

none of the Estes models has gotten more than 1 vote

somehow I thought the question was more about building than which is the coolest rocket

I voted for Polaris cos I like the fins. I considered voting for Mongoose but that one goes together so quick - build it early AM before your next launch and say goodbye on C6-0/C6-7! speaking of saying goodbye, Pip Squeak is great on C6-7! haven't tried mine on D13-10 cos I want to get the RMS case back :)

Originally posted by lalligood
What? No FlisKits?!? :(

How do you post a LPR thread/poll like that & not include at least one FlisKits rocket??? hehe

I thought I'd beat Jim to the punch :)

man, I came *SO* close to saying nearly the same thing :D but I gritted my teeth and refrained :)

Hey, not *everybody* is building a FlisKits kit. If they were, I'd be the happiest (and busiest) guy around :)

Give him time, he'll discover the types of models he should be building, give him time :)

Apollo payloa{de}r
I{c}ar{u}s payload{e}r
Tomaha{w}k SLCM Cru{i}se Missi{l}e
Zenith II two-stage payloa{d}er

HHmmmm, I pick these 5 cuz you can spell "Deuce's Wild" from them...

:D :D :D

(too many late nights watching baseball... LOL)

Originally posted by jflis
Apollo payloa{de}r
I{c}ar{u}s payload{e}r
Tomaha{w}k SLCM Cru{i}se Missi{l}e
Zenith II two-stage payloa{d}er

HHmmmm, I pick these 5 cuz you can spell "Deuce's Wild" from them...

:D :D :D

(too many late nights watching baseball... LOL)

How about a Red Sox and Cardinals World Series!!! Woo hoo!!

Funny,
When I spell Deuce's Wild out there seems to be an "S" in it. Luckily the guy who made this mistake is not the one designing the kits! Uh-oh, wait a minute...:D

I voted for the Zenith 2 Payloader, mostly because that was the most fun build on your list that I have already built. However, mine was the MPC Zenith 2 which had the balsa nose cone and a clear transparent payload tube. Unfortunately, it had a mishap on a staged flight where the upper failed to ignite. Zenith came in ballistic and destroyed the payload tube as well as the payload inside of it. Classic rocket, and I even painted it in a gaudy 1970's ugly orange & white color scheme. Here's a photo. I will get around to repairing it one day.

I say build the Polaris. It's easy to build and looks cool. Sorry Jim.

Cool.... (as of 10-24-04, 5:10pm) the Harpoon has a slight lead over the "Lifting Body" and the Tomahawk

I think I'll wait until there are 50 votes (37 right now) and see how things come out.

Thanks for voting, everyone. I appreciate your input.

I think you should get 10 more kits and then try to decide all over again.:D

Back