Which Sci-Fi/TV/Film tie-in scale model?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
Just wondered what everybody's wish would be, if one of the kit manufactures were to release a scale model of a Sci-Fi/TV/Film rocket/vehicle. By this I mean a 'proper' rocket, not just a lump of plastic stuck to the side of a 3FNC rocket; like the Estes Star Wars Droid Fighter.

I would love to see a Thunderbird 3 kit.

Anything from the Thunderbirds would be cool.

I'd like to see something from one of my favorite sci-fi shows..."Farscape". I'm not sure how it would be done, since all of the ships were very odd shapes. The 'Farscape 1' ship would be fairly easy to model.

John

LMAO! I wouldnt have thought of that!!

Thunderbird 2 would be cool aswell :cool:

Phil

The rocket in Flash Gordon The Movie. :D It could even be staged as in the movie. But you would have to have Queen playing in the background when ya launch it!

Mike

Thunderbirds 1 & 3 would be great, but I also would love to see the U.S.S. Discovery from 2001 - as its still the bomb.

what abouthte prometheus from Lost in space the movie - that was pretty cool!

My vote would be the ship in Farscape as well. very cool ships in that show. Another would be any of a number of ships from Babylon 5 (although painting them properly would be a PITA... LOL)

Originally posted by Weekends
The rocket in Flash Gordon The Movie. :D It could even be staged as in the movie. But you would have to have Queen playing in the background when ya launch it!

"Flash! Ahhh-ahh! Savior of the Universe!"

Originally posted by jflis
My vote would be the ship in Farscape as well. very cool ships in that show. Another would be any of a number of ships from Babylon 5 (although painting them properly would be a PITA... LOL)

Those could all be way-cool, though the designs are exotic enough (and, in many cases, non-aerodynamic enough) that I'd be afraid they wouldn't translate well to modrocs. :-(

And, yeah, those B5 paintjobs :eek:

The VF-1 "Valkyrie" fighter jet from Superdimensional Fortress Macross (or the VF-1 Veritech from Robotech... debates between rabid fans regarding how the two shows are related can make RMR look like Club Med). The jet itself looks a little like an F-14 Tomcat with some science-fictiony bits. At one point, to boost it into space, it has a booster unit strapped to it that looks a bit like the bottom few calibers of a Soyuz launcher.

vf-1af.jpg

valkyrie_booster.jpg

In 20 years or so, I might be able to build it as a solid fueled booster (16 motor cluster!) pushing with a twin engine ducted fan powered R/C plane. With a parachute in the nose, in case the tail doesn't unfold on command.

As far as a modroc kit goes... the Tintin rocket might not be bad. Kind of a V-2 with class.

hmmm, unstable and nearly impossible modrocs ...

how about the Solar Sailor in TRON?

or the transporters in Space 1999? although I did see a LMR one being built... hope it flies OK, he was doing great stuff with vacuformed plastic, wouldn't want to see that damaged.

The vipers from Battlestar Galactica would make cool three engine cluster rockets.

Although, seeing the Galactica itself launching would be cool.

What about the imperial shuttles from Star Wars? Heck, the destroyers might even be stable, and they've got plenty of engines :)

Another model I've been thinking about recently is a four-engine X-wing fighter, with the engines where the engines should be (instead of one engine in the center body). I'd expect every such launch to be a "heads up" launch in case of engine failure, though.

After seeing flying outhouses and knowing such shaped objects can fly I have been wanting to fly a Tardis, complete with flashing light on top.

O.k., here are my ideas:

"Space Ark" from "When Worlds Collide", a sci-fi classic and NICE clean lines. All the ogive curves would make this hard to model, though. Extra credit if you can work a glide recovery.

"Star Bug" from Red Dwarf. I have no idea how anyone could EVER make this stable - maybe with "sputnik"-style dowel rods trailing behind?

"Wallace & Gromit" rocket - I second this. Include lots of little plastic mice wearing sunglasses in the kit, for the right atmosphere at launch.

I would love to see a stable kit of a Babylon 5 Star Fury... Even leaving the wing pods open to act as tube fins, my attempt at this one does loops all over the sky and then settles into a weird arcing glide...

Would also love to see a Star Wars B-wing kit!

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
Didn't the Tintin rocket look something like this? Been awhile since I've seen a copy of the book.

https://www.fatcatrockets.com/k-1 full.htm

A litle bit. The pods on the original are way bigger, and the body is continuously curved.

I recall that there is a CD of paper models on the market that includes the X-FLR6. This is convertable to a flying mode. I've seen it done by Mike Roberts (his is the chicken rocket in the current rmr descon). It's pretty cool.

Originally posted by cydermaster
Just wondered what everybody's wish would be, if one of the kit manufactures were to release a scale model of a Sci-Fi/TV/Film rocket/vehicle. By this I mean a 'proper' rocket, not just a lump of plastic stuck to the side of a 3FNC rocket; like the Estes Star Wars Droid Fighter.

I would love to see a Thunderbird 3 kit.

The Bird of Prey.

Not from Star Trek, from Boeing. I know it's not "really" a sci-fi model, but it looks more like one than some on TV.

OK, real sci-fi model?
1. The lifting body/booster combo from "Marooned", the former with glide recovery.
2. The Lexx.
3. The "Collier's" series 3 stage cargo rocket (https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4221/ch1.htm).

Originally posted by DynaSoar
3. The "Collier's" series 3 stage cargo rocket (https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4221/ch1.htm).

DynaSoar -

Check out the Von Braun ferry rocket on my homepage (see siggy). I built the later, "Disney's Man In Space" version which was a revised (and smaller) version of the version from the Collier's series. The booster lawn-darted on its second flight, but I rebuilt it (although it's pretty ugly compared to the original).

I intend to build the original in corresponding scale, which will stand about 38" from nose to fin trailing edge and fly on a cluster of 8 or 9 C6-3 motors.

The Phoenix and Dove from "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun." I've always wanted to try to make a flying Phoenix that would pop out the Dove for a glide return.
Drew Tomko

Back