Which Quest Q-jet delay to use with Estes Interceptor

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Bill S, Sep 2, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 2, 2019 #1

Bill S

Bill S

Bill S

I'm considering trying some of the Quest Q-Jet D16s in my Estes Interceptor, instead of converting it to D engines. Can anyone suggest an appropriate delay? I believe the Interceptor uses a C6-5, so I would think that since the Q-Jet will get it 10-15% higher, that a 6-second delay would be okay. Or am I mistaken in thinking this?

No Rocksim file is available for the standard Interceptor, so I can't really test it via that method.

2. Sep 2, 2019 #2

BRS Hobbies

BRS Hobbies

BRS Hobbies

D16-6 works great in place of a C6-5. I love the D16 Q-Jets which are ideal for getting a little more altitude with a rocket that has an 18mm engine mount.

Bill S likes this.
  3. Sep 2, 2019 #3

Scott_650

Scott_650

Scott_650

My Interceptor is still in the bag waiting to be built but I’ve flown a couple heavy-ish, draggy rockets with the QJ D16-4/6 - perfect for those rockets that are just a little marginal on a Estes BP C6. Depending on the winds I’d say either the -4 or -6 would be a good choice for an Interceptor.

4. Sep 2, 2019 #4

Bill S

Bill S

Bill S

I think I am going to try the D16-6s and see how they work out. Thanks guys.

5. Sep 22, 2019 #5

Bill S

Bill S

Bill S

I finally took the trouble to make a Rocksim file for the Interceptor, and it said that the D16-6 was okay.

I got to fly the Interceptor yesterday. 2 C6-5 flights, one good, one the parachute got scorched and the rocket had a somewhat hard landing complete with broken off wing pod (easily superglued back on). Then I broke out a D16-6 and that rocket really jumped off the launch pad. More arc than I would have liked, so I had a fair walk to retrieve it. No damage. I will try that again sometime. :)

6. Sep 23, 2019 #6

readytorock556

readytorock556

readytorock556

Get both!