Which Missile to Kick Off 2021 With?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Missile for 2021?

• Raytheon Peregrine

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Lockheed Cuda

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Cuda is an air to air missile while the M-SHORAD seems to be a ground to air missile but they both look the same...

Cuda M-SHORAD Together.png

Are they recycling? The M-SHORAD was test fired. I still haven't found anything saying the Cuda has been launched.

Peregrine is still in the lead but the Cuda has been catching up

-Bob

I know I wouldn't have the patience to precisely line up and cut 100 some odd holes for the motors, so I would go with a decal simulating those. But that's just me.
Actually, looking more closely at the pictures, it looks more like 200+ motors.

You are definitely on to something there regarding patience. I found the reference I remembered on how many ACMs there are but it was actually for a different missile. I count 14 in some rows and thirteen in between. Not sure how many rows but I can count 10 in the picture so best guess (10x14) + (10x13) = 140 + 130 =270. 270 is a lot of depressions to sand out and a lot of decals to insert...

I enlarged the ACM area from the drawing and took a snip. They make it look like (to me) that the ACMs are recessed just a bit
Cuda ACM Capture.JPG

-Bob

Here's an idea:
Instead of stamping or cutting the airframe how about putting holes or impressions on a piece of tubing or thin metal and gluing it around the tube? Prepaint the airframe and the overlaying tube before gluing together. Airframe keeps its' integrity and you have some recessed holes or indentations simming the motors. Even thick cardstock might work, and you can lay that flat when punching out the holes.

Reminds me a lot for the MX-904 Falcon prototype....Alas I'm not finding my visual references at the moment.

Well I Googled MX-904 and came up with this:

GAR 1.JPG

It does look quite similar to the Cuda/M-SHORAD

-Bob

The Cuda is an air to air missile while the M-SHORAD seems to be a ground to air missile but they both look the same...

View attachment 444319

Are they recycling? The M-SHORAD was test fired. I still haven't found anything saying the Cuda has been launched.

Peregrine is still in the lead but the Cuda has been catching up

-Bob

I'm calling it....

1609539491775.png

Been having some bad rocketry days. I'm having issues with decals on my scratch built and designed Black Brant and then this...

Yesterday I decided to start the 1/8th ply centering rings for the 2021 rocket. I cut some blanks, tack glued two together and made the hole for the motor tube by first drilling with a hole saw then finishing the opening with a sanding drum on my Dremel. Now I had three sets (of two) and I tack glued them all together using a motor tube to make sure they were all aligned. This way I could sand the outside down on all six at the same time.
Rings 1.jpg

By this time it had gotten dark and my garage is not well lite. I do have a headlamp though so I put that on and went to work at the sanding disk. DId I mention I wear bifocals but really need trifocals? I've tried trifocals a few time and can't get use to them so I have bifocals for mid and distance viewing. For up close I take my glasses off.

I start sanding away and I needed to tack the edges that I had sanded already so I went in the house to get the glue and oh-oh, Houston we have a problem
Rings 2.jpg

I was supposed to have sanded using the marks on this side
Rings 3.jpg

With the poor lighting and poor eyesight I ruined 6 centering rings. I should have waited until the next day but I wanted to get them done. I don't really know why as there was no rush. I'm just very goal orientated sometimes. I have made 6 more, during daylight hours, and they came out fine.

So we are 9 to 8 now with the Peregrine in the lead. I have not voted yet so my vote might just tie it up or make the Peregrine the winner. I just don't know yet. I like the looks of the Cuda but I have not come up with a way to do the ACMs yet. I know they won't be decals :) The other thing is I built a rocket that looks a lot like the Peregrine last year. It is a two stage of my own design called the Tempest. BTW, the details are painted--no decals on this BT-60 based rocket. I think Kuririn's idea of a wrap in the area may be the best approach. I do have a Cricut machine that I could use to make a wrap with circles cut out to simulate the depressions. I wonder if the Cricut vinyl will take paint??? I'll have to look into that.
Tempest w Booster Done.jpg

-Bob

Hmmn,

I don't remember how long I left the poll open for. Right now it 9 Peregrine to 10 Cuda.

Been working on fixing my Vapor and some pita things on my Black Brant Vb. Have a launch this weekend.

I am itching to start my new build. I was out of town this week and was able to visit an actual hobby shop. Bought a 12 x 48 sheet of 1/32nd ply. I haven't decided how to do the fins yet. Heck I'm still trying to figure out how wide the rear fins should be (at the body) on the either of the two subject rockets.

-Bob

The rear fins on both of these rockets are only connected to the body by the rotary actuators so there is a gap between the fin and body in front of and behind the actuator. That won't quite work on the model so I have come up with two options. The difference is the area behind the fin tabs. Option 1 has that area open and option 2 has the fin contacting the boat tail. I was wondering if option 1 would be strong enough but while drawing the picture and writing this post I think I will opt for the extra strength of option two. I will simulate the gap with a black paint. Sometimes "thinking out loud" works for me :)

Trsiling Edge Fin.jpg

-Bob

I like the Raytheon Perigrine, those body long strakes seem to be a Raytheon staple.
I looks very similar to the Rim 162, my favorite that I am still playing around with.

Why not lengthen the fin tab to the second centering ring toward the fore and leave the gap? In this rendition, you've added a 4th centering ring as compared the original. It seems to me that it would be more than adequate in terms of strength and keeps the design inline with the original. And it would look really cool as well! (Unless I am misunderstanding the 2 drawings).

Jimbooregon,
Well the poll doesn't close until 12 February but I am ready to call it. I'll give it until the end of the week.

Shawn_rocket,
Both option one and two have the same amount of centering rings so I am not sure what you mean. The thru the wall tabs can't really be much larger because the fins taper to the front and to the rear. I think that basically I'll be making the fins with a 1/8th inch core with 3/32nd balsa ( I think) on each side. Then since I don't have actual dimensions I will sand the fins to a scale-like taper. You'll see them in the upcoming build

-Bob

Just checked the poll and the Cuda is ahead by one. I also noticed it closes today at 5:45 p.m.

I am ready to get going on one or the other :)

-Bob

Jimbooregon,
Well the poll doesn't close until 12 February but I am ready to call it. I'll give it until the end of the week.

Shawn_rocket,
Both option one and two have the same amount of centering rings so I am not sure what you mean. The thru the wall tabs can't really be much larger because the fins taper to the front and to the rear. I think that basically I'll be making the fins with a 1/8th inch core with 3/32nd balsa ( I think) on each side. Then since I don't have actual dimensions I will sand the fins to a scale-like taper. You'll see them in the upcoming build

-Bob
Looks like I read it wrong. Can't wait to see how this progresses!

Well, what a surprise! The Peregrine was one vote behind and I was going to cast my vote for it which would have tied it up. But, the Cuda shot ahead in the last hours so that will be the one. I will be starting on it next week and will start a build thread.

Thanks to everyone who has participated,
-Bob

Is that sitting on the floor? If so, it's bigger than mine :( Tell us about it

-Bob

Ah, so it's slightly larger than my 3 inch, 29mm mount. I was thinking it might be full size.

It looks great. I like the details on the rear fins. Have you launched it?

-Bob

Back