Which LiPo pack for the Estes PSII launch controller?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been using the Estes PSII controller for a while now on C Cells and it's been great. Looking to move up to a LiPo pack but having a heck of a time finding a 1000+ Mah, 3S pack with a JST connector.

What are you guys using?

Been using the Estes PSII controller for a while now on C Cells and it's been great. Looking to move up to a LiPo pack but having a heck of a time finding a 1000+ Mah, 3S pack with a JST connector.

What are you guys using?
I musta ordered a dozen from amazon and sent them back as they didn't fit. So I will be paying very close attention to this thread. Still using C's.

Turnigy nano-tech 950mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack
This one should work, though you'd need to verify the thickness compared to the PSII's battery compartment tray. You don't need 1000+ mAh, this one will last for quite a few launches...
I swear these used to be everywhere, and super easy to find. I bought several similar to this 5-10 years ago for RC foamies; I'm glad I held on to them.

Turnigy nano-tech 950mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack
This one should work, though you'd need to verify the thickness compared to the PSII's battery compartment tray. You don't need 1000+ mAh, this one will last for quite a few launches...
I swear these used to be everywhere, and super easy to find. I bought several similar to this 5-10 years ago for RC foamies; I'm glad I held on to them.

OK cool. So the mini JST is what is used by the Estes Controller. I was looking for the normal JST. Glad I asked. Will be ordering one now.

I have an old ElectriFly 1250 mAh pack in mine with an adapter to the orange JST I made on the output lead. I fly quite a bit and I think I charge it about once per year. So smaller ones as Vince and James use should be just fine for lots of flying.

Last edited by a moderator:
James what charger do you use for that battery?
I have a Kinexsis KX-6S charger for charging, which is now discontinued. This charger from Horizon seems to match it in features and price, though. The 120v AC capability was important for me:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/prophet-sport-mini-50w-multichemistry-charger/DYNC2030.html

You'll need to add a mini-JST to banana plug adapter to charge the battery linked earlier in the thread:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/charge-adapter-banana-to-jst-female/DYNC0032.html

Horizon seems to be out of these right now, but Amazon offers a similar product:

https://www.amazon.com/RC-Connector-Silicon-Charging-11-8inch/dp/B07C1QQ2VT

Hope this helps,
James

I'd say the best thing to use for launching is a 12 volt lead calcium battery or if one can take the weight, a good old-fashioned car battery period. Anything else is "diddle-chit". Lithium batts are a PITA to baby and recharge. Go over the "line" and they're dorked. Been there, done that. Can't bring them back either like one could do with Ni-cads or Ni-mh back in the day. Could "whack 'em" with high current and bring 'em back for awhile before they finally died. No battery lasts forever. Kurt

I'd say the best thing to use for launching is a 12 volt lead calcium battery or if one can take the weight, a good old-fashioned car battery period. Anything else is "diddle-chit". Lithium batts are a PITA to baby and recharge. Go over the "line" and they're dorked. Been there, done that. Can't bring them back either like one could do with Ni-cads or Ni-mh back in the day. Could "whack 'em" with high current and bring 'em back for awhile before they finally died. No battery lasts forever. Kurt

Been running LiPo packs in RC cars and planes for 20 yrs without an issue. They hold a charge for a year or more and can be cycled hundreds if not thousands of times with little reduction in capacity.

You can also get them in any cell configuration you like. If you want the 14is volts a car battery delivers full charged you can step up to a 4S pack that will fit in your pocket

Any idea what the life is like on C cells? I'd prefer a rechargeable, but $60 +tax for a battery, charger, and adapter is starting to get silly.
I suspect life on C cells is pretty long, but just be aware that 6 C cells will never come close a LiPO or a Lead Acid battery in terms of how much current they can supply.

I suspect life on C cells is pretty long, but just be aware that 6 C cells will never come close a LiPO or a Lead Acid battery in terms of how much current they can supply.

I agree with you.

I launch maybe twice a month (if I'm lucky and the weather allows); 10-20 total ignitions. 1/2 through D, mostly bp with a few composite motors in the mix. I'm starting to get into more mid power, but from an ignition stand point, likely it doesn't matter. No clusters at this time, none planned.

Honest question: Is there a real-world voltage/amperage concern with the use-case I've outlined above? If so, I'm absolutely willing to get the better battery. However, if not I don't need to raise further attention from my wife concerning rocket spending. :)

I have had the same cells in mine for two seasons without an issue. I want the Lipo for clusters and I have all of the Lipo equipment from my RC hobbies. All I needed was the correct battery that fit

If you are flying single or two motor clusters, I don’t see the point in the investment.

I have a Kinexsis KX-6S charger for charging, which is now discontinued. This charger from Horizon seems to match it in features and price, though. The 120v AC capability was important for me:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/prophet-sport-mini-50w-multichemistry-charger/DYNC2030.html

You'll need to add a mini-JST to banana plug adapter to charge the battery linked earlier in the thread:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/charge-adapter-banana-to-jst-female/DYNC0032.html

Horizon seems to be out of these right now, but Amazon offers a similar product:

https://www.amazon.com/RC-Connector-Silicon-Charging-11-8inch/dp/B07C1QQ2VT

Hope this helps,
James
Thank you I went this route and tested them out yesterday on my first cluster and it worked great. Thanks for the recommendation.

You can also go on the fpv websites they always have cheap batteries and chargers. I also fly RC but I usually shop at the fpv sites cause they have less expensive products.
Getfpv or RDQ

Any idea what the life is like on C cells? I'd prefer a rechargeable, but $60 +tax for a battery, charger, and adapter is starting to get silly.
Here's what I just bought:

Charger ($12):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WSDCZM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery ($16):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5K9UN9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

11.2V 3s Lipo capable of delivering plenty of current that fits nicely within the springs of the Estes controller.

Hans.

Charger ($12):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WSDCZM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Battery ($16):
11.2V 3s Lipo capable of delivering plenty of current that fits nicely within the springs of the Estes controller.

Hans.
Assuming the charger works correctly (no reason for me to think it doesn't) that looks like a good and inexpensive combo for this application.

Just charged the battery, everything seemed to go well.

Hans.
I expect that by now there are charger chips that have all the fine details worked out, and so an inexpensive charger like this will be fine.

Back when LiPolys were new in the hobby market (~2003) there were all kinds of less-than-optimum chargers. I would be most concerned about one that overcharges the cells. Do you have a way to measure the individual cells' voltages perhaps right after the charger finishes? They need to be 4.2V or a touch less, and they should all be the same (as implied by it being a balance charger).

The next concern would be the charge rate and matching that to your battery, but in this case, it looks like you have a good match - a 1000mAh battery and a charger that puts out a 1C (1000mA) charge. As long as what it actually does is in that ballpark all will be well.

I may have to get one of those chargers just to check it out....for $12.

I expect that by now there are charger chips that have all the fine details worked out, and so an inexpensive charger like this will be fine.

Back when LiPolys were new in the hobby market (~2003) there were all kinds of less-than-optimum chargers. I would be most concerned about one that overcharges the cells. Do you have a way to measure the individual cells' voltages perhaps right after the charger finishes? They need to be 4.2V or a touch less, and they should all be the same (as implied by it being a balance charger).

The next concern would be the charge rate and matching that to your battery, but in this case, it looks like you have a good match - a 1000mAh battery and a charger that puts out a 1C (1000mA) charge. As long as what it actually does is in that ballpark all will be well.

I may have to get one of those chargers just to check it out....for $12.
Well, can't guarantee that it's being done correctly. But it seems to. Has the multi wire charge connector to supposedly balance the cells. The 3 LEDs - one for each cell - went red to green roughly about 10 minutes apart after about an hour of starting. So I assume it's working correctly. But, yes, I get a bit skeptical over cheap, too good to be true products.

Hans.

Charger ($12):
Battery ($16):

Hans.
I actually have TWO of the above batteries within the springs of the compartment. One hooked up and the other stored in there as backup. Gives the controller more of a hefty feel too.

6 decent quality c cell batteries cost ~$25. This battery charger combo is $28. Seems an easy choice, as long as it doesn't catch fire.
I get my Duracells at Costco. There's one toward Woodinville from Maltby. 14 of them for $19 or so.

Still, that combo that Hans (@4regt4) suggested looks like one that will work well. I was serious about checking out that $12 charger...I like to be able to recommend stuff from personal experience and I've done quite a bit of charger testing in the past — I even used to have a "column" on RC Groups years ago called "Recurring Charge" where I did that sort of thing and wrote it up....but rockets came back into my life about 12 years ago and I've not done much RC airplane-related equipment testing since. Instead I've been obsessing over testing altimeters....

I get my Duracells at Costco. There's one toward Woodinville from Maltby. 14 of them for $19 or so.

Still, that combo that Hans (@4regt4) suggested looks like one that will work well. I was serious about checking out that $12 charger...I like to be able to recommend stuff from personal experience and I've done quite a bit of charger testing in the past — I even used to have a "column" on RC Groups years ago called "Recurring Charge" where I did that sort of thing and wrote it up....but rockets came back into my life about 12 years ago and I've not done much RC airplane-related equipment testing since. Instead I've been obsessing over testing altimeters....

You got in a response just before I edited my reply. My $25 cost was concerning rechargeable batteries. I do my best to limit single use batteries. I'd love to read (hear?) your data driving opinion on this combo, but I'll likely buy before you have a chance. However, with a full burn ban in effect, I guess I could wait a bit before giving Amazon any more of my money.

Yeah, I just saw the ban info. That doesn't bode well for my club launch next Saturday (17th). I had to call off September's launch last year both because of a burn ban and because it was going to rain that day!

I have mixed feelings about NiMH rechargeable. They are fussier than NiCds and have higher internal resistance (which means lower current delivery ability). Cells sold as standard consumer sizes are often low in capacity (an AA-sized cell in a C-sized jacket, for example) and they also self-discharge much faster than either quality alkaline primary cells or lithium rechargeables. That, to me, means that if the launch controller isn't used for a time, it may not work when you want it to. And of course one has to have the right charger for them as well....it just requires a much different charge curve than for lithiums.

Yeah, I just saw the ban info. That doesn't bode well for my club launch next Saturday (17th). I had to call off September's launch last year both because of a burn ban and because it was going to rain that day!

I have mixed feelings about NiMH rechargeable. They are fussier than NiCds and have higher internal resistance (which means lower current delivery ability). Cells sold as standard consumer sizes are often low in capacity (an AA-sized cell in a C-sized jacket, for example) and they also self-discharge much faster than either quality alkaline primary cells or lithium rechargeables. That, to me, means that if the launch controller isn't used for a time, it may not work when you want it to. And of course one has to have the right charger for them as well....it just requires a much different charge curve than for lithiums.
All of the concerns you listed are addressed my using low-self discharge (LSD) NiMH cells like Eneloops.

Except for solar charged outdoor lights...or similar applications, there's almost no reason to use a NiCd cell over an LSD NiMH for the typical consumer.

All of the concerns you listed are addressed my using low-self discharge (LSD) NiMH cells like Eneloops.

Except for solar charged outdoor lights...or similar applications, there's almost no reason to use a NiCd cell over an LSD NiMH for the typical consumer.
I have used Sanyo Eneloop AAs (and Sony CycleEnergy AAs) for a number of years in some applications, though not Electron Beam launch controllers. They are much better, yes, with respect to relatively low self discharge. But even Eneloops are — or were, I haven't purchased any for awhile — sold as AAs with sleeves to fit them in C-sized battery compartments.

I was thinking of these when I said I had mixed feelings about them. My experience with NiMH cells in other forms and applications has been pretty much unsatisfactory, starting with their introduction to the RC hobbies. I have some old Sanyo NiCd packs from my pre-lithium days for my airplanes that are still functional. All the NiMH packs are long ago dead.

Back