WHICH is the BEST?!?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshUSAF

Reaction score
Hey,
Whatcha think??????

I am trying to decide what size rocket I want to tackle for my first scratch build.

I am looking at building either a:

bt60 1 5/8" diam x approx 19 inch. long
OR:
Bt 80 2 5/8" diam x approx 30 inch. long

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?????

Your BT60 approach will result in something with a lot more performance, if you are after speed and altitude. Use a D or E motor and it will be a screamer. Use an 18mm MMT and it will slow down to be a good demonstration bird.

A BT80 tube will require a pretty heavy nose cone, if you are using balsa. Do you plan to turn your own on a lathe, or are you going to shop from someplace like BMS or our own Sandman?
Either way, the bigger BT80 approach will give you a slower and lower design, even with D and E motors.

Originally posted by joshUSAF

I am looking at building either a:

bt60 1 5/8" diam x approx 19 inch. long
OR:
Bt 80 2 5/8" diam x approx 30 inch. long

First, are you saying overall length or length of body tube?

If you are saying the length of the body tube..... I would say go with the BT-80.....

Put a 29mm motor mount and use F and G motors.... 30" (body tube) is about the size of my warthog and strong arm rockets and I fly them all the time on F and G motors..........

why not build them both, and decide afterwords which one you like better? :D

IMO, though, you should do the BT60 first.. cheaper, smaller, not as big a deal if something goes wrong.
or the BT80 with a 24mm mount... or you could do a 29/24mm adapter in the BT80, incase you wan't to send it up on an F or G later on. depends on what performance your looking for.

Back