3D Printing Which Creality 3d Printer would you recommend?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a 3D Printer for a long time. Based on my spending limit, I'm looking at the Ender 3 Pro > Ender 5 Pro and CR10 mini or I might squeeze in a CR10 series printer???

I would like to hear from you all before I make this purchase please.

Thank you all for your time!

I am happy with my 5.
I also have a CR10S S5, which is quite serviceable - and just the thing for big prints. I modded it substantially more than the Ender 5.

Anecdotally, it seems like every now and then Creality sends out a lemon that is difficult to badger back into performance. Mine have been fine, so long as I don’t try to print with too little z-height.

CW loves his Prusas, as many do. My co-workers in the lab have had nothing but trouble with their’s - but it’s the only problem one I’ve heard of.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with my Ender 5 too.

I have the CR-10 400 and the Ender 3 Pro. Ender 3 Pro... I also have a Lulzbot Taz 6 and a Prusa… .Ender 3 Pro over ALL of those for the beginner that doesn't require large format.

I have a CR-10v2 purchased from Tiny Machines 3D, part of getting a good experience with Creality printers is purchasing from a company with good support. TM3D pre assembled and tested my machine as well as installing purchased upgrades (Tough Tube and BL Touch) which also included flashing with custom firmware. If I have a question its only an email away and TM3D has been quick to respond all three times. Most of my issues with the machine have been user learning curve not the machine itself afaict.

ender 3 pro going strong here

obtained caus it looked good during a sale, not because I looked at the whole line and picked it out.. that said, completely happy with it, would do again

I got a CR-10 Mini in January from Amazon for $309! Did not do much research for that price! This is my first 3D printer, so can't compare much. The Mini came fairly assembled - mostly connecting the top Z bar, and plugging in the control wires - like 15 minutes top.

I'm very pleased w the printer. It is manual leveling. Auto level would be better tho. The small size has not been much of a factor for me. I have printed PLA and PETG w great results. The owner manual was lacking (to say it nicely).

CR-10Mini.jpg

The silky filaments are very cool looking!

projects.jpg

If your dead set on Creality, I recommend an ender 3 because then you will only be out $200. They are reportedly reliably when you get a good one.

my creality struggles with PETG while my minidelta loves it.

maybe my creality under-reports the higher temps :( that would explain the behavior but not sure how to diagnose or fix (if it is even possible for less cost/work than replacing printer)

my creality struggles with PETG while my minidelta loves it.

maybe my creality under-reports the higher temps :( that would explain the behavior but not sure how to diagnose or fix (if it is even possible for less cost/work than replacing printer)
Thats a possibility as well, I pumped up the temp to 260-265c with PETG and now it has very few issues as well as slowed the retraction speed and distance to about half of stock Cura settings. Make sure you have a PTFE tube like Tough Tube or Capricorn if going up above 250c though iirc.

OK, I have jumped onboard for the CR6 soon to be release model, looks like a lot of good items for $341.00.
Now I need some PLA or PLA+ Filament recommendations and any other items I might need for my first print.

CR-10 Pro V2 will give you a lot of print volume for larger objects. They’re good printers in my experience but like any new machine there’s a learning curve. Not everyone is cut out for 3D printing. It helps to have some mechanical intuition. If you enjoy it you will always want more volume for larger objects.....

Whoops never mind my post😊 The CR6 will be a good choice I hope. Some have made it out to reviewers so YouTube is your friend there. Good luck!

Guess main selling points besides price was, auto-leveling, silent 32bit computing, 350 watt power supply, glass project top, carrying handle, swing filament arm, redesigned nozzle assemble, and a few other items. seemed like a lot for the money. Most likely would have gotten a Ender 5 pro, but this baby seem to have more for the buck? Also quick setup.

• Bed Levelling — This is hands down the biggest issue for FDM printer users. Many have given up on 3D printing just for this reason, as bed leveling is time-consuming and frustrating. The CR-6 is self-leveling, which at this price point is unheard of, and that alone may be cause for you to purchase this as your first printer.
  • Silent Motherboard — You will not be kept awake as your printer churns through the making cycle, as an upgraded motherboard keeps your motors quite so that you can sit back and enjoy the slight white noise it gives off.
  • Easy to Build — My Ender 3 took me about an hour to build, but Creality claims that the CR-6 can be built in five—yes 5—minutes! I look forward to seeing that!
  • New Extruder — The extruder is an integral part of a 3D printer and can literally make or break your print. Most users ditch the stock extruder before even attempting the test print (I am one of those people) due to the plastic cracking under stress. I often purchase aluminum extruders simultaneously with new printers. I am looking forward to trying out the new extruder in hopes of finally getting a good stock solution.
  • Running Out of Filament — I have spent hours staring at my spools trying to decide when best to replace them. I have also spent an insane amount of time trying to decide if I have sufficient filament to print and object. The CR-6’s photoelectric filament sensor and resume printing function may just put an end to that. The CR-6 will keep track of how much I use and how much is left, which I could not possibly value enough!
These are just a few of the upgrades that the CR-6 offers over other printers in the sub-$350 price range, and I can assure you that any one of them qualifies for cracking open my wallet to save time, energy, and aggravation to give me more time enjoying my prints and less time trying to birth them into the world.
Revamped aluminum body

The CR-6 SE has a modular aluminum body, with sealed dust-resistant coupling points, which can be disassembled and packed away for easier transport. A sturdy gantry structure also allows users to carry the printer without disassembly. The initial assembly of the 3D printer takes only five minutes, with detailed instructions aiding the intuitive process.

The mechanical components of an FDM printer are constantly moving around, generating inertia which can send vibrations through a print, shaking it on the build plate. As a result, printed parts could potentially have very visible layer lines, especially on taller models. Creality has taken extra care with the design of the CR-6 SE’s frame, ensuring smooth and stable motion regardless of the dimensions of the print job.

The frame has been given a wider, fortified foundation with dual linear Z-axis rails, topped off with a timing belt to dampen vibrations and improve motion balance during printing. The theoretical result is 3D printed parts of visibly higher quality as the placement of the nozzle should be more precise as it moves in the XYZ planes.

Inside the body of the printer is Creality’s new Trinamic motion controller with an Atmage2560 chipset, which is capable of voltage control via thermal runaway protection firmware – keeping temperatures low and enabling sub-30dB printing. A 4.3 inch HD full-color touch screen provides a gateway to most functions, with English and Chinese language options. The printer’s frame also features a foldable filament holder, a tool storage drawer, and an adjustable belt tensioner to mitigate the slack that can form on the conveyor belts over time.

Modular printhead redesign

Poorly designed printhead assemblies are the root cause of nozzle clogging and oozing. Creality’s crowdfunded system aims to combat this with a redesigned modular printhead structure that allows users to replace and substitute components with ease. The heat sink, heat block, Teflon tubing, and hotend are all deconstructable, encouraging maintenance and tinkering. A set of powerful cooling fans enables superior control over filament extrusion and retraction. The printhead also houses an in-situ filament runout sensor to pause prints when required – especially useful for those multi-day prints that burn through spools like butter.

Intelligent leveling-free system

The system boasts a number of clever features, claiming to fix common problems typically found in consumer-grade machines, which includes the age-old issue of bed leveling. A level print bed is crucial to achieving consistently successful prints on a machine. Without it, rafts and skirts often fail to adhere to the bed, moving around as the nozzle attempts to extrude subsequent layers to no avail.

The CR-6 SE’s in-built innovative “leveling-free device” utilizes a smart pressure sensor to constantly automatically level the bed so the user doesn’t have to. The machine also comes factory pre-leveled so if it all works as intended, print adhesion should be greatly increased without the user even having to think about it.

To add to this, the smooth glass bed is coated in carborundum, a microporous composite material with desirable thermal properties. The carborundum coating promotes rapid heating, stronger adhesion, and easier part removal as the microstructure contracts in a cooler state.

All of this sounds good anyway, Lol

Last edited:
Love my Ender 3 (regular). Under $200 and after I figured it out and made a couple of tweaks it prints like a dream. Perfect beginner machine for learning
Use a spark plug feeler gauge for leveling.
Put a glass bed on it (picture frame glass from Home Depot, $7)
Use blue tape on the glass
Put a clothes pin spring on the x-axis belt.

I was really looking hard at that printer to, the Ender 3 Pro. Great price and good reviews with the right adjustments.

I‘m a newbie with a lot to learn Lol

If you are buying a Creality Printer, I recommend going through Amazon so you get the ability to return the printer. I paid 10-20 more, but was able to get it replaced.

I would recommend these in order base don price:
Ender-3
Ender-3 Pro
Ender-5

My Ender-3 Pro just arrived today. I've got someone buying my partially-assembled Tevo Tarantula tomorrow. The printer arrived at 12:48pm. I had it assembled and started on my first print by 2:30pm.

I have an artillery genius 3d printer and I love it. Manual leveling, but otherwise amazing for the price. Silent motherboard, direct drive extruder, all together quite nice.

Just got an Ender 3 pro and print quality is fantastic for a 300.00 machine. If you can afford it though a Prusa is the Ferrari of home printers. My biggest mistake was starting off with a delta...more parts to break and more variables to hunt down when things go south.

Just got an Ender 3 pro and print quality is fantastic for a 300.00 machine. If you can afford it though a Prusa is the Ferrari of home printers. My biggest mistake was starting off with a delta...more parts to break and more variables to hunt down when things go south.
The cheap Prusa is 349. It truly is a Cadillac. Night and day difference.

You think the “original prusa mini” from https://www.prusa3d.com/ is a good starter machine, Chuck? I’ve been on the fence for a while but want to start with this technology.

It is the prefect starter machine. Almost no tinkering. Prints out of the box.

Since the OP was originally asking about Creality printers I'll throw in that I recently purchased the Ender 3 for a little over $300 CAD, and it has been excellent so far. Pretty much perfect out of the box without much adjustment (you do have to do a bit of basic assembly though). I've done a few prints with PLA and PETG so far, and they all have turned out pretty much perfect. Maybe I just got lucky and received an especially well put together machine, but so far I wouldn't say I have had to do much in the way of tinkering. I've used Prusa printers at my university's makerspace in the past, and can also attest to them being excellent machines, though I'd say the print quality on my Ender 3 is just as good.

Latest posts

Back