Which computer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Alrighty, so I've been dealing with a bunch of issues with Lenovo computers. Got a U530 (MSRP about $900), had a MOBO failure after 2 weeks. Sent it in, got a replacement. Used that one for 2 months or so. The hinge on that broke, and I sent it in to Lenovo. After 6 weeks of calling them, they finally issue me a replacement. This is a Lenovo Y50-70T (Intel i7 2.6GHz, 16GB DDR3, 1TB SSHD, nVidia GTX 860M GPU). I used this one for about a year, and then the hinge on THIS one broke as well. So I sent it into Lenovo, asking how long it would take, and they said around 5-7 business days. What do you know... 5 weeks, and an absurd number of phone calls and emails that went unanswered, I finally manage to get a hold of someone at Lenovo who can deal with my issue.

Anyway, it comes down to this. I can get a REFUND for my original U530 (around $900), OR I can get a replacement Y700 15". Specs are below. If I get the refund, I will be buying an Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW ($1500).

Here's my debate. I can get the refund, and buy the Asus. OR, I can take the Y700, and either live with it, or try to sell it and use that money to buy the Asus.

Lenovo Specs:
Ideapad Y700 15" Touch - Black
Part Number: 80NW002SUS

Web price:
$1,779.99

Processor
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (2.60GHz 2133MHz 6MB)
Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64
Display
15.6" UHD IPS LED AntiGlare Backlit Multitouch (3840x2160) with integrated camera
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
Memory
16.0GB PC4-17000 DDR4 2133 MHz
Hard Drive
1TB 5400 RPM+512GB PCIe SSD
Optical Drive
DVD Recordable
Network Card
Intel Wireless-AC 8260
Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Pointing device
ClickPad
Battery
4 Cell 60 Watt Hour Li-Polymer
Ports:
2xUSB 3.0, 1xUSB 2.0

Versus the Asus:

Processor
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (2.60GHz 2133MHz 6MB)
Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64
Display
15.6", Max resolution 3840*2160.
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
Memory
16 GB DDR4-SDRAM 2133 MHz
Hard Drive
512 GB NVMe Solid State Drive (PCIeGen3 x4)
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Network Card[/FONT]
Intel Wireless-AC 8260
Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Ports:
3xUSB 3.0, 1xUSB 3.1 Type C

I'm not much of a gamer, and need a good laptop for college, so I don't want the Y700. What's your opinion? Would it be better to take the Y700 and try to sell it? Or should I take the $900 and just buy the Asus?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

My opinion: take the refund and apply it towards the ASUS.

Keep in mind though the following: With the ASUS you will be giving up a CD/DVD burner and a larger HDD (mechanical); however you are GETTING an SSD hard drive which makes a HUGE improvement in speed/boot times and losing 1.2 lbs in weight which may not sound like much until you are hauling it around with you.

Just my :2: FWIW

Say no to Lenovo. I have been in IT for going on 23 years, and Lenovo was formerly IBM. The Thinkpads were really solid, but Lenovo sucks.

The Asus is good. I am not sure what you are doing that requires that much machine? It is a lot of processor and ram. Discrete graphics are really only needed if you are gaming or doing cad. That said, I am not trying to talk you out of it- buy what you want and what you can afford as long as it is not Lenovo.

Say no to Lenovo. I have been in IT for going on 23 years, and Lenovo was formerly IBM. The Thinkpads were really solid, but Lenovo sucks.

Totally agree. Use to love my Thinkpads. Sturdy, reliable. My son's Lenvo didn't last one school year.

Agreed! This was my previous laptop. I was able to spec exactly what I wanted. Very reliable, and excellent service. When it was finally time to replace it I settled for an HP from Costco due to limited funds. I regret it every day.

I'm partial to Asus...and the SSD will ROCK!

The first gen or so Lenovo's, right after IBM sold them were great. Lately, I've heard people have a lot of problems with them, unfortunately...

Totally agree. Use to love my Thinkpads. Sturdy, reliable. My son's Lenvo didn't last one school year.

Agreed! This was my previous laptop. I was able to spec exactly what I wanted. Very reliable, and excellent service. When it was finally time to replace it I settled for an HP from Costco due to limited funds. I regret it every day.

Buy an HP Elitebook- you will not be disappointed.

+1, totally agree with eh Lenovo sucks comment and that when the laptops were owned by IBM they were much better quality. Since IBM sold that division off they have just gone down hill. Disclosure I used to be an IBM dealer.

I don't really know anything about the ASUS laptops, used to use their components, MB mainly but I don't both with clones or even know anything about their hardware anymore.

However I do know quite a bit about the HP Elitebooks on a large scale, as I am an HP partner. Overall they are very good value for the money and superior quality t Lenovo but the bar is set pretty low in that case. I could be wrong but I am going to guess they are a bit more pricey than what you're budgeting for.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Second on the Elitebook, I've got the new 820 Skylake and it's great. However, the ASUS would be my choice over the Lenovo.

As someone who makes my living with them, a healthy +1 here. I've used Elitebooks for years with no problems. You can probably find a real good price on a 9470m or 9480m.

My personal range PC is a Toughbook, however I had the opportunity to buy out a demo.

+1 on the Asus

on HP - their machines are good but every time I visit their website to check them it's an exercise in massive frustration.

OK I would vote NO on the Lenovo replacement , just by the fact that you already had a recent bad experience .

Take the refund and start over ...sometimes where you buy it is more important than what or how much ... ie: mail order cool computer all the right stuff ..but you get it and when typing normally the cursor skips to another part of the screen randomly due to touch pad sensitivity .. you pay freight and exchange it and replacement does the same thing..then you start requesting a return for credit and there is more freight and a restocking fee .. and some places wont do it (all sales final on clearance or demo/special order/red tag sale). Some retailers promise the world, but returns are tough when used ... I dont even look at Best Buy ads anymore . Costco doubles the warranty and is return friendly - but never has the 'smoking price' .

My friend bought two cheapie Toshiba notebooks on clearance from Frys ...used for a year and he hated them . Windows 8.1 ,..bloatware and preinstalled apps ect made for a sluggish and intermittant user experience . I took one with the intent to wipe down and start over with Win7 , and my experience is yes, I prefer win 7 over anything for compatibility and functionaility, and these are so cheap ..WarnerR and I found that there is no cmos battery when we opened up . What a bunch of crap right ? After removing bloat and setting so it turned on when raising lid alot of the sluginess and freezing left .. so still using with the stock Win 8.1 . It does have a Intel Pentium processor and HDMI port and now works decently ..I could throw in a SSD and it would be 'snappy' . I will probably not put any more time into it because it does work with my Toyota TechStream software, and MissileWorks MDACs and Featherweight FIP and plays mkv files --- so is now car/rv/launch site tool .

So my suggestion is too forget the brand , fluff and features and get back to basics : INTEL processor , 4gb + of RAM , hdmi port , NO optical , and not cheapest resolution (1300x700) . The ASUS fits the bill in that respect.. but confirm SOLID Keyboard, STRONG hinge, good reviews at Newegg and Amazon .

The only thing I have seen 'better' is the DELL XPS 13 and 15 'signature edition' like they sell at Microsoft store (student discounts available , even my daughters elementary schools is eligible) no bloatware , but very expensive . Close 2nd is buying something equivalent at Costco like Inspirion 15 .

If you want some links I can dig some up ..but you can go to a big retailer like Frys or Worst Buy and lay hands and really touch and feel - then try to beat the warranty and price by shopping it .

Kenny

Last edited:
My:2:

I buy Dell from the Dell Outlet. I have 10 computers here in my office. I've have NEVER had to send a Dell computer back. I have only once had an issue with any of the 30+ computers I've bought from Dell over the last 25 years, and that was covered by warranty by Dell who sent a fellow to my office to replace the motherboard for free. I bought Wayne a Dell Inspiron 17 for $300 and it does everything rocket related that he wants with no issues. I did just have one 5 year old Dell Inspiron 17 laptop (not Wayne's) hard drive start to make "noise". So I swapped it out for a SSD drive. OMG, what a difference :surprised: I do have a Panasonic Toughbook, but I was too tough on it since the screen failed while using it as mobile gps in the jeep driving through washes in the desert....:facepalm:

So, you might consider looking at Dell, especially the outlet, for an equivalent computer to the Asus and Lenovo that you are looking at. If you do review the available computers at the outlet be sure and check over several days because the inventory does move along and if you see something good, get it because it won't last. I have not owned either brand, but if I was to recommend between Lenovo and Asus it would be Asus all the way from what I have read and what other people I know personally have told me (basically sheer, unadulterated hatred of Lenovo.....). Good luck!

another rec for Dell , I'm still using the one bought in 2002 Inspiron 4150

I did replace the cmos and main batterys this spring

Why not have have a custom one built for you by a company in the USA?
That's what I did for my son and I 1-1/2 years ago.
Cybertronpc.com.
You may find out it's not as expensive as you think for custom made!

I think the OP is talking about a laptop, which for the most part come pre-built.
Good seeing you, Woody!

If I were you, I'd go for the Asus simply for the form factor (though the design looks like a ripoff of a MacBook... :)). The Y700 looks quite clunky and heavy to carry around.

Fyi, (Idk if this has been said before...) You don't need that much power for college...

You can get a great laptop for college for about 700-900 with plenty of room for light gaming, basic cad work and would be decent in specs for almost anything.
Are you trying to future proof, or is it just a tool?

Agree on "too much power" as in computer-power....you're running office apps and "social" BS.

I'd focus more on these items:
- SSD ONLY - rotating media in a laptop is a problem waiting to happen. If you need more storage, plug in an external SSD you keep at your dorm-room desk.
- QUALITY screen (IPS technology) and reasonable density -- Windows still doesn't scale well to 4k screens so you better like tiny text.
- Long battery life. My laptop goes all day without charge running office apps - this is SO NICE that I never carried a charger.

Back