Which black powder for dual deployment?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketTree

Reaction score
The GOEX black powder is what you want to use. Most people suggest the FFFFg. The more F's, the finer the grind, and the faster the burn rate. Commercial motors use the FFFFg. One pound will last you a long time. I'm currently using FFg because it was all I could get at the time, and it's also been working fine for me. Finding a place to ship it may be difficult.

Just NEVER use a 'smokeless' powder, ever, under any circumstances. They have far too high of a burn rate and would be dangerous and ineffective for rocket deployment.

The GOEX black powder is what you want to use. Most people suggest the FFFFg. The more F's, the finer the grind, and the faster the burn rate. Commercial motors use the FFFFg. One pound will last you a long time. I'm currently using FFg because it was all I could get at the time, and it's also been working fine for me. Finding a place to ship it may be difficult.

Just NEVER use a 'smokeless' powder, ever, under any circumstances. They have far too high of a burn rate and would be dangerous and ineffective for rocket deployment.

Very good information! Thanks

I don't know gun laws in Canada, but what I did here in the states was look up local gun stores and call around until I found a store that sells FFFFg. That being said, I only found one store, and it is not super close to home. But I only go there for powder once every three years or so.

Convert 2F powder to 4F with a couple small pieces of hardwood, like oak. Just grind the grains between the pieces of wood until the size of sand grains. Or use the back of an old spoon and a piece of hardwood. A little at a time. Be aware that this will negate the effect of the coating on the grains, and may make them absorb moisture more readily. Larger grains like 2F may work but you're more likely to see holes in the chute, the burning particles travel farther before they're done burning.

Smokeless powder is ineffective because it has a very high burn rate exponent. It burns quite slowly at atmospheric pressure. Increase the pressure and the burn rate skyrockets. Since the ejection charge is more or less at atmospheric pressure...A Bad Thing.

Best --Terry

Looks like Cabellas/Bass Pro still carries it in the stores in Canada. You want FFFFg, used for the flash pans of flint lock muzzle loaders. Find the nearest store to you, hopefully not too far.

Smokeless powder is ineffective because it has a very high burn rate exponent. I
Best --Terry
This is why I like your advice, technically correct terms. None of the poof. fizzle vs. big bang hand waving discriptors.
We need a time to get together again and look back over the past decades and what the future holds.
Hope you're finding "retirement life" enjoyable.
Now to see how far Murry is from Huntsville....

John

I picked up a jug today at the local muzzleloading supply store. 1lb was $32

Bass Pro lists it in their website but says it’s not available to order. It also doesn’t tell you what the price is or if the store has it in stock. You have to call

I’d rather give the mom and pop store the business anyway. Even if it’s a bit more

This is why I like your advice, technically correct terms. None of the poof. fizzle vs. big bang hand waving discriptors.
We need a time to get together again and look back over the past decades and what the future holds.
Hope you're finding "retirement life" enjoyable.
Now to see how far Murry is from Huntsville....

John

4 hrs as the speed limit flies. If you can wrangle the Prfessor to join us for student launch next year, I'll have him sign my copy of his book!

Mine is already inscribed by Terry, with some fitting commentary.:):)

you need to find a local fireworks pyro guy who makes shells, they make many pounds of BP
here is some of mine, costs around $5/pound
I use it for all my deployments

1606224002559.png

Your source must be pretty consistent or you do a lot of testing on your BP. I can make BP, but for some things that use small amounts like spolettes and ejection charges I do like the known consistency of commercial powder and the ability to consult published charts for the proper amounts.

https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/ejection-charge-kit-12-pack/
Aerotech sells a 12 pack of ejection charges. Yes, it is a lot cheaper to buy a pound of 4F black powder, but these are available for order and will probably all you will need for many flights. I have a pack and use them to augment starters or ejection charges.

Chas

Thanks for the information. I'm getting ready to build some E-45 equivalent sugar motors with ejection charges, so this solution works for me. The Rocketry Forum is great!

Thanks for the information. I'm getting ready to build some E-45 equivalent sugar motors with ejection charges, so this solution works for me. The Rocketry Forum is great!
The best part is these are portioned and measured out for you.

Back