Which 3" Binder Design kit would you like to see?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose your favorite Binder Design kits to be released in 3" versions!

• Velociraptor

• Tyrannosaur

• Excelerator

• Lightning Bolt

• Devastator

• Jackhammer

• Dragonfly

• Thug

Results are only viewable after voting.

Binder Design

Reaction score
We're adding 3" versions of our existing kit lineup and would like to gauge which kits have the most interest so we can get to them first. So, which of these kits would you like to see in 3" versions? Feel free to choose more than one.

If you forgot what each kit looks like, visit www.binderdesign.com Feel free to place an order while you are there. :)

Last edited:
You left out the Raptor, I'd have voted for that as well.

Raptor:
binder_design_raptor.jpg

Velociraptor:
velo5.jpg

Last edited:

That one is OOP. It inspired so many clones from other kit manufacturers that it got lost in the mix. It was the original, but eventually sales got diluted so much that we had to move on, sorry.

Tyrannosaur and Lightning Bolt in 3" with Lightning Bolt being a definite buy...unless I were to go with the 4" Lightning Bolt.

Decisions, decisions.

You got something against us Galaxy junkies? In a downscale, I could live w/o the tail cone. If not, then the Velociraptor would be my best choice.

Kudos for not jumping on the FG bandwagon.

Raptor:
binder_design_raptor.jpg

Velociraptor:
velo5.jpg

Same here...

That one is OOP. It inspired so many clones from other kit manufacturers that it got lost in the mix. It was the original, but eventually sales got diluted so much that we had to move on, sorry.

There is something to be said for originality... The V-Rap would be awesome in 3"

We're adding 3" versions of our existing kit lineup and would like to gauge which kits have the most interest so we can get to them first. So, which of these kits would you like to see in 3" versions? Feel free to choose more than one.

If you forgot what each kit looks like, visit www.binderdesign.com Feel free to place an order while you are there. :)

I could have chose more than one??? Dang, hit the submit button too soon.

What would be cool is if you guys released a new version of the Jaguar. I just bought a pre-built one and it looks like a great rocket. Maybe make it a MD or something. :thumbup: :p

You made a special run for that launch in Oregon, the NXR something or another. I'd like to see the 3" version of that one pop back up.

Because I am addicted, this is coming from my phone.

What would be cool is if you guys released a new version of the Jaguar. I just bought a pre-built one and it looks like a great rocket. Maybe make it a MD or something. :thumbup: :p

That one is being considered.

I would love to see a 3 inch upscale of your 2.5 inch Spike with a 38 mm mount .

ERic

The Spike was never a very good kit IMO. Intended for beginners to mid power, but needed nose weight for most motors. Not a good combination because newbies rarely checked stability after loading the motor. Lots of loopy flights and customer complaints.

You made a special run for that launch in Oregon, the NXR something or another. I'd like to see the 3" version of that one pop back up.

That kit will be rebranded but typically we wait two years or more after the commemorative release.

Because I am addicted, this is coming from my phone.
That would be the NXRS 2014 Research Test Vehicle, aka RTV. The winner of the Max Q Aerospace Fin Can contest flew a 3" to over 8K on a J510W. Very cool flight!

You got something against us Galaxy junkies? In a downscale, I could live w/o the tail cone. If not, then the Velociraptor would be my best choice.

We won't do it without the nozzle assembly. My dad always taught me to "do it right or not at all".

Kudos for not jumping on the FG bandwagon.

Thank you. Doing fiberglass kits would go against everything that Binder Design was built on. And I like my rockets to go really high on less money. It's just sound engineering practice to design for the expected flight loads, but anything more is a waste. I'm happy to hear that a few of us can appreciate that. :)

There is something to be said for originality...

I'm assuming you are referring to the original Raptor.

True, but ultimately people vote with their wallets. The last year of production of the Raptor we sold one kit. It was not until we stopped production that everyone and their brother said they wanted one. At that point I said we could kit them on a special order basis. Guess how many orders I got? One.

I see the same thing at launches. People will say, "If those were available right now, I'd buy two of them." Then when I say I've got ten in the trunk and try to lead them to the stash, they just start looking at the ground and kicking the dirt. Then they slowly slunk away. Human nature I guess.

True, but ultimately people vote with their wallets. The last year of production of the Raptor we sold one kit. It was not until we stopped production that everyone and their brother said they wanted one. At that point I said we could kit them on a special order basis. Guess how many orders I got? One.

I see the same thing at launches. People will say, "If those were available right now, I'd buy two of them." Then when I say I've got ten in the trunk and try to lead them to the stash, they just start looking at the ground and kicking the dirt. Then they slowly slunk away. Human nature I guess.

I'm a little short on cash right now, but (Lord Willing) count on at least one more order for a Raptor some time in the future.

I would love to see a 54mm Velociraptor with a 29mm motor mount. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I would love to see a 54mm Velociraptor with a 29mm motor mount. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

That one probably won't happen. We don't have any plans on going smaller than 2.6" diameter. We'll translate a few of our most popular kits over to 3" versions, then we've got a couple of unique 2.6" diameter kits in the works for the mid power crowd. We considered getting into the smaller kits a number of years back. The problem is the amount of labor doesn't scale well at all. It takes nearly the same amount of labor to kit a small rocket as a larger one the only difference is the size of the parts. But we have to sell many more to make the same amount as the larger kits. Even if we went to completely automated parts production, the packaging takes a bit of time. Most times of the year we're already stretched thin on our time, so we have to make the most effective use of it.

We won't do it without the nozzle assembly. My dad always taught me to "do it right or not at all".

Thank you. Doing fiberglass kits would go against everything that Binder Design was built on. And I like my rockets to go really high on less money. It's just sound engineering practice to design for the expected flight loads, but anything more is a waste. I'm happy to hear that a few of us can appreciate that. :)

I for one, truely appreciate the original designs ond materials of kit building... A true builders art form.

That's the right approach. :)

Out of curiosity, were sales on the Sentinel about the same as the Raptor when it was discontinued?

We sold a lot of Sentinels, but that kit never met my expectations of stability. It was "underfinned". Long fin roots, but not enough span. And the fins tabs were "notched" at the back and front. I've always hated that. The only kit we use that on now is the Jackhammer, only because if we left the fin tabs full length there wouldn't be enough room for the parachute in such a stubby design.

We sold a lot of Sentinels, but that kit never met my expectations of stability. It was "underfinned". Long fin roots, but not enough span. And the fins tabs were "notched" at the back and front. I've always hated that. The only kit we use that on now is the Jackhammer, only because if we left the fin tabs full length there wouldn't be enough room for the parachute in such a stubby design.
Ah, I see. Wasn't the Samurai discontinued as well?

Back