Wheww-hoo..Aerotech Astrobee D...gotcha !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Howdy,

My local Hobby store, located in the mall, never seems to have any sales worth anything (rocketry based), until today. They have had the Aerotech Astrobee D and the Mim (?) marked at 79.00 forever, and even though I'm a scale freak, I kept passing them both up.

Until today..

For the Memorial day weekend sale, they placed these 2 kits out front at 50 % off. I asked twice just to be sure, and sure enough, the out the door price was $42.80 including tax.

Since this is my first ever Aerotech kit, I'm wondering how others have faired with it. I've read the review ofver at EMRR and it sounds like a good kit. Impressions ?

Cheers,

I've had mine for about two years now and have yet to get around to building it.

It's just so darn big!:eek:

Lots of detail parts and documentation too!

I think a 38mm motor mount is called for. It sure looks like it could tak it with no problem.

I guess I do need an L2 project.

Has anybody done a 38mm motor mount conversion? She looks like she could take an "I" motor with no problem. Maybe a small "J".

sandman

SL...
You got a great price on the Astrobee. Got mine for $40 plus tax.
If you spend the time doing the stock paint scheme and do up all the decals, she's a real sharp looking rocket, for sure.
I built mine stock with the exception of rail buttons and left the NC removable so a payload (such as an alt) could be placed in the upper BT. Went with the dual chute setup and it worked out fine, for the one flight on a G35 I have on it so far.
Check out the link in my signature for info and pics.

It's supposed to be a great kit, and has been on my "must have" list forever. ROL has an article in their Tech Series about high-powering the Astrobee.
I would think you could convert it to 38mm, just trim the fin tabs down and epoxy them to the new MMT. But boy would it SCREAM.

Love mine, only 1 problem...on recovery, the payload section took a hard landing on one of those small chutes and bent the tube. Bent it enough that I will need to rebuild the payload section :mad: That is one of the sections that has a lot of detail that will be lost (i,e, stickers and scale antennas) I have been meaning to ask Aerotech if they keep spares of these item on hand.

G64-4W kicks this rocket up there very nicely

Thanks for all the tips and thoughts fellas. I looked at the kit, and being my first mid power/possible high power rocket, it sure looks like a quality kit.

This is gonna be fun..8)

Back