Whether to NAR or Tripoli for a new BAR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougla2

Reaction score
Do I really need to join both? I'm a novice and won't be able to fly very often, so it is hard to justify the cost of both memberships. Is there some compelling reason that I should join and then renew 2 memberships? Planning to join a local club too but again, I won't be able to be very active with all of the other stuff going on. Took my accountant (spouse) to a launch to see how safe and fun it is and suffered a 'finger wagging' when she heard about memberships. I haven't told her about those level 2 motors yet, gonna need roses on that day. Any sensible guidance on this for 2020?

BTW, I do support the missions of both organizations and would have already joined both if it was for a lower cost. I'll also be supporting TRF if I don't get tossed for asking stupid questions.;)

You will get lots of answers here to join 1 or the other but if you are just a sport flyer, join NAR. If you plan to make research motors in the future, join TRA.

Thanks for the tip Tim. I met a guy from local Tripoli prefecture who mentioned their launch site in Hartsel, CO, which looks like a great place. Maybe I'm being too frugal to think of just joining one.

There are few functional distinctions between the two, since if you're certified level X with Tripoli, you can fly level X motors at a NAR launch and vice versa. The main distinctions between the two are 1. NAR certs never expire no matter how long your membership lapses, whereas Tripoli expires after 1 year of non-membership (so if my membership expires at the end of September 2020, I have until September 2021 to renew before the certs lapse); 2. It's easier to get a NAR L1 or 2 than Tripoli, solely due to the differences in who can sign off on your paperwork; and 3. You can fly research (i.e. homemade or modified commercial) motors at a Tripoli launch if you're Tripoli L2 or higher.

Certs transfer between the organizations.

If your Tripoli membership expires for more than one year , then you have to recertify. Certify NAR, and you can always go back to it if you take a break.

But I keep both memberships current. Even in CA where EX is not aloud in most of the state.

Hadn't considered that, do L1 and L2 certs gained thru Tripoli expire?
TRA certs expire a year after membership expires; NAR certs are for life.

As stated you will gets lots of opinions; however, for me, it makes the most sense to join the club that has a range near you. If you have to drive 100 miles to fly NAR, but 10 miles to fly TRA, well ...

If you have access to both, then NAR would be my choice. If you want to start making your own motors, then TRA is a must.

Thanks for the tip Tim. I met a guy from local Tripoli prefecture who mentioned their launch site in Hartsel, CO, which looks like a great place. Maybe I'm being too frugal to think of just joining one.
You can still launch at a Tripoli launch with a NAR cert. They'll honor it. You don't have to join Tripoli. Quite candidly, of the clubs in my area some are NAR and some are Tripoli but they have members of both in the club. The club launch site I used for my L1 was a NAR club but had Tripoli members as well and could qualify cert flights for either. I would join NAR now and Tripoli later if you decide you want to, but it's not really necessary.

You will get lots of answers here to join 1 or the other but if you are just a sport flyer, join NAR. If you plan to make research motors in the future, join TRA.

tim has laid out the differences between the two organizations quite succinctly. Another consideration is your proximity to the flying fields. People being people you may find yourself bonding better with one group or the other. No wrong answer whatever you decide.

Last edited:
If you are a lucky dog and have multiple clubs in reasonable distance, you might choose one that has an on-site vendor. That makes almost anything easier and sure cuts down on hazmat fees. If you aren't that lucky, join the one that matches your local club.

My club is both NAR and TRA, but I joined NAR because that way I can witness TARC flights.

Great information, thank you! Proximity is a matter of perspective, I like driving around Colorado so the high altitude site in Hartsel is worth the trip and the flat prairie up by Wyoming looks great for retrieval with my e-bike once I build a custom rack. OK, I'll have to join both, was hoping to give my accountant bride better news. Appreciate the insights.:D

Great information, thank you! Proximity is a matter of perspective, I like driving around Colorado so the high altitude site in Hartsel is worth the trip and the flat prairie up by Wyoming looks great for retrieval with my e-bike once I build a custom rack. OK, I'll have to join both, was hoping to give my accountant bride better news. Appreciate the insights.:D

You don’t have to join both, at least right away. Every club I know welcomes members of the other organization. Whichever you do join as long as you’re current your certification will transfer to the other.
Two other things to consider:
Tripoli is international, with insurance coverage nearly anywhere. Tripoli mostly concentrates on high power, where NAR is up through O motors.
Of course we would love to have you in Tripoli.

Last edited:
Before you join either one, go to a few launches at the site nearest you. See what they're like. Fly some modrocs and mid-power, certification not needed. I've been to launches where everyone was as friendly and helpful as could be. And have been to a (very) few where I felt uncomfortable, as though I was intruding or something.

Best -- Terry

Go with whichever is closest. Build a bunch of low and mid power rockets to learn the ropes, flying at your local field. Make friends and mentors. Get your high power cert with your local club.

AFTER you get a high power cert with your local club, see what your goals are. If you have goals that your local club can't meet, THEN join the other club as well. From what Steve S said, seems like NAR and Tripoli are pretty reciprocal for alternate club members in good standing.

Just don't "show up" at a club launch (your ORGANIZATION but not your regular club OR alternate organization) where nobody knows you with a high power rocket that looks "sketchy " and expect to fly it, at least not without some close review by the RSO.

NAR has a good magazine. Tripoli has one a while ago. But the membership cost did not drop after. But I still supported both for over 20 years because they each have their strong points.
Mike

Great suggestions, thank you! Looking forward to springtime, trudging across the frozen tundra is not a favorite activity. I'll join NAR as soon as I get this Zephyr finished and plan to launch a bunch of different model/motor combos to get a feel for my direction regarding L1-L2 and best fit club. Probably join Tripoli too since their local prefecture's site in Hartsel, CO looks amazing.

I am joining a local Tripoli prefecture that requires membership in NAR or Tripoli to qualify to join. I assume for insurance purposes. I elected to join NAR because their mission is arguably more aligned with LPR, which is what I am interested in. I was a member of the NAR periodically in my youth, decades ago. I also think it's neat that star trek stole the NAR logo for the Starfleet symbol :).

Before you join either one, go to a few launches at the site nearest you. See what they're like. Fly some modrocs and mid-power, certification not needed. I've been to launches where everyone was as friendly and helpful as could be. And have been to a (very) few where I felt uncomfortable, as though I was intruding or something.

Best -- Terry
@prfesser has a good point, if there isn’t much difference in distance between your personal location and nearest NAR and Tripoli clubs, visit both and see which group you gel with best. It seems safe to assume that since you aren’t a member of either club yet that you aren’t high power certified yet. There is a lot of fun and learning to do with low and mid power, which you can and should do before you approach both the risks AND expenses of high power. If there is a significant difference in distance between clubs, convenience of a shorter drive may outweigh most concerns. I only have experience with one club, NAR Midsouth Rocket Society, and they are a 70 minute drive for me but are the closest club. I don’t get out there much, but great bunch of people and when I do get out there I have fun and learn a lot.

Excellent suggestions that will help when I get a path figured out, starting with determining destinations. Planning to launch the Zephyr (stock) with a G78-4 just to see how it flies. If everything works, I'll fly it again and then decide if/how to move ahead towards L1. I found a bunch of 20yr old Estes motors and after confirming a few recently built kits with new motors, will take risks with the oldies. Enjoying the process of building the kits and look forward to a warm day in the sunshine at a range.

Back