Where to post job for hire.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang67

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Would like to hire someone to build an altimeter bay for me. Its for a customer project, and I am pressed for time, Can I post it on the forum, if so where is the best spot?

I am looking for something on the high-end side, well designed and well crafted a "show piece" For a 6" Ultimate Endeavor, custom, full fiberglass.

Okay-devil's advocate here. Do you supply the parts/pieces? Electronics? Preferences? Is this already designed and you just want assembly or is the builder responsible for all that and a cherry on top? Recovery train(s)? Is that 'customer' or 'custom'? Why doesn't this customer want to do this him/herself? Is it for an L3 atttempt? Big no-no. A 6" Endeavour is an expensive bird all by itself. A fully loaded 'show-case' av bay could almost double that with GPS, redundant (mandatory) avionics and extra things like chutes. Given the bird is in a remote location, who is responsible for drilling (a) shear pin holes, (b) altimeter ports and and and and.....
Sorry, but I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot Punisher.

I've contracted the fabrication of various av bays for people.

But that is done strictly for folks I know, and with whom I can sit down face to face, discuss the job, and come to a meeting of the minds.

I won't do it by e-mail, and I'm not cheap.

Built a 98mm av bay from a carbon coupler. Added aluminum bulkheads, a G10 sled, cast eye bolts, and nice #10 thru-bolts with knurled brass nuts. (Just the bay, no electronics.) It was down-right pretty. It hung in Jack G's trailer for almost a year, with a price tag of a measly $200. Jack said everyone loved it, until they saw the price tag. A good $130 worth of materials, and I'm begrudged a lousy $70 for 8 hours of work.

I guess everyone expected to get 8 hours of my work for free. That's not gonna happen.

You know, gluing a couple of G10 bulkheads together and drilling a few holes isn't all that tough. Why not build it yourself?

I've contracted the fabrication of various av bays for people.

But that is done strictly for folks I know, and with whom I can sit down face to face, discuss the job, and come to a meeting of the minds.

I won't do it by e-mail, and I'm not cheap.

Built a 98mm av bay from a carbon coupler. Added aluminum bulkheads, a G10 sled, cast eye bolts, and nice #10 thru-bolts with knurled brass nuts. (Just the bay, no electronics.) It was down-right pretty. It hung in Jack G's trailer for almost a year, with a price tag of a measly $200. Jack said everyone loved it, until they saw the price tag. A good $130 worth of materials, and I'm begrudged a lousy $70 for 8 hours of work.

I guess everyone expected to get 8 hours of my work for free. That's not gonna happen.

You know, gluing a couple of G10 bulkheads together and drilling a few holes isn't all that tough. Why not build it yourself?
AHA! So you were the one! Really nice work though. Still miss Jack a lot!

You saw it, huh? Yup. That was little ol' me. And thank you for the compliment.

Had a research motor put its forward closure thru two accelerometers like a bullet. That's the day I decided that aluminum av bay bulkheads were a good idea. Been making 'em out of 6061 ever since.

Last edited:
We may have to talk-since I retired there are no "G" jobs to get things made with a whole factory for support. I really miss that and was made fun of for my 'toy' rockets when the Real Thing sat a few dozen feet away. My last laugh to them was "Well- I always get mine back"! Some would say "yeah- but but you can't launch a satellite"! And I'd say "Nope, but when they don't work it doesn't cost me 80 million dollars". no argument.

Last edited:
Let me share a few details.

First, this is a legitimate request. Although I am fairly new to the list, not to the hobby. I have a few prominent members that will easily vouch for me.

I own a business and I am sending this rocket to a customer as a gift and a marketing piece. It’s going to create a ton of conversations :)

Own a Ultimate Endeavor myself except, I am doing my level 3 with mine and mine is not all fiberglass. Being that I am working on my L3 I do not have the time to dedicate to a show piece electronics bay.

I will supply all of the materials, parts etc. and take care of any and all shipping charges.

Requirement:
A fully loaded "Show Case" electronics bay
Dual Deploy
LED showing both systems are armed or disarmed.
GPS Tracking along with receiver is a must. Live audio reporting would be great, perhaps something from Altus Metrum?

Build time: 1 Month from start date.

Again open to suggestions.

So, you want it fully flight capable. No electronics provided. No hard requirements as to what will be in the bay in terms of electronics? No commentary on proposed/ acceptable cost.

I think you need to iron out the items above before getting takers.

Back