Where to launch?

Discussion in 'Beginners & Educational Programs' started by Docdrew, May 27, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. May 27, 2019 #1

Docdrew

Docdrew

Docdrew

You probably get this question a lot but ... I live in Scottsdale, AZ and would like to launch a few rockets with my daughter and friends as part of STEM education. I am looking for a few nearby places where I can launch low powered rockets. The city tells me that launches are not allowed in any parks. I would appreciate any info from locals pertaining to places where I can launch. Thanks.

2. May 27, 2019 #2

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

3. May 27, 2019 #3

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

I would echo Steve. the best part launching with a club is the mentor ship as you move to larger projects.

4. May 27, 2019 #4

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

I resisted joining a club for a long time. That is my biggest regret in rocketry. There are great people in my club and I have heard the same thing about other clubs from many people on this forum. You learn a lot, make good friends and have more eyes on your rockets reducing the chance you will lose them.

5. May 27, 2019 #5

Hardline

Hardline

Hardline

Ecstatic and Joyous

Wayne and I live in Arizona and can recommend the Superstition Space modeling Society the web site link is here: https://sssrocketry.com/

They are a NAR club and membership fees are $20 for a family.

Currently there are no events until the fall - Summer is not a flying season in Arizona.

Edited to add the link to SARA: http://www.sararocketry.org/

they will have a few more flights before summer truly starts if you don't mind traveling to the Tucson area

Sharon

Steve Shannon likes this.
  6. May 27, 2019 #6

lakeroadster

lakeroadster

lakeroadster

Lone Wolf... No Club TRF Supporter

Any BLM land nearby? If so call the local office. Where I live they are ok with individuals launching as long as there are no burn bans in effect.

I prefer to launch when I want, rather than wait for a scheduled event.

Good luck and welcome to The Rocketry Forum. Please post up some photo's of your launch!

7. Feb 25, 2020 #7

Lahkun

Lahkun

Lahkun

Hello,
    Not sure if you've tried making it out to one of the suggested clubs yet, or not, but it's a great experience if you get the chance. Also, if your still looking for somewhere to fly low power, your closest option would be a park in phoenix. As you said, there aren't really any parks where it's allowed in Scottsdale. Anyways, here is a link to some parks in Phoenix that allow low power: https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/...ules/radio-controlled-aircraft .

8. Feb 26, 2020 #8

Docdrew

Docdrew

Docdrew

We ended up launching at Grover Basin Park B. July 20th was a hot one, and we had the whole park to ourselves.