Where to go to paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LetsHitTheRoadJack

Reaction score
Hi! I've been out of the hobby for a few years. Previously, I lived in apartments where there were out-of-the-way grassy areas where I could paint my rockets. However that is not possible where I currently live.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can take my rockets to paint them? I live in the Inland Empire in Southern California if that helps.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Jack

Here's what I'd call the boothless solutions for urban spray painting. I've tried 2/3 of them:

In any case, you'll first need a dowel to fit inside the motor tube, this will help with carrying the rocket and bring it back inside to dry. Also be prepared to do a lot of walking if you're going to do many coats.

Possibility #1: buy a great big tarp (10' x 10' -ish), and hang it on a nearby fence. You can then lean the rocket on it for spraying and bring it back inside for drying.

Possibility #2: If the rocket is not huge (2.6" diameter or less), you can go out in any open area and simply hold the rocket by the dowel in one hand and a spray can in the other.

Possibility #3: A third possibility, which I haven't yet tried yet but I'm considering, is to spread a big tarp on an open area (with pegs or rocks to hold it down), put a horizontal rocket stand on the tarp, wrap the nose cone in a taped grocery bag, and lay the rocket on the stand by the dowel on one end and grocery bag on the other.​

In all these cases, you'll need very calm winds and also be prepared to reply to onlookers who may be curious. I'd probably say something like: "I'm building a space force to defend you against the evil alien killer viruses." Also, dress appropriately because even low winds are unpredictable.

As Jim said above, I paint in my backyard.

Have a large 4’x8’ work table with a sacrificial surface that has lasted almost 10 years now.

I have painted some large rockets out there and used a pair of stands made of PVC tubing an a 6’ length of steel tubing as a rotisserie for body and booster tubes.

Also built a rotisserie “thing” for painting large fiberglass nose cones. Hard to describe but no pictures available at the moment.

The occasional bug finds it’s way on to the surface of the wet paint but not often enough to matter much. There’s always a light breeze which keeps the critters away.

Best of all, the work table is under a large shade tree so I’m able to work out there even on those 100 degree days...but not for long.

There are paints that have no obnoxious fumes and can be used in an apartment. You'll have to use an airbrush or be really good at hand brushing..

We have a deck so i hang an old sheet over the railing. Still need a calm day.

I've made a diy paint "booth" in my basement with two fans exhausting outside for painting in the winter, but FYI that a fine paint mist often still made it's way to other things in the area coating it with gray paint "dust". 😜

There are water based paints that can be used with an airbrush indoors, but that would only be suitable for low power rockets. Otherwise, you need to find an large parking area out of sight where if needed you can set up a card table that fits in your SUV or car trunk. As long as you don't act suspicious, you should be ok. You need fast drying paints and ideally the temps should be in the 80's with reasonable humidity. The biggest issue is you need a way to transport your rockets after you've painted them and the paint is still soft. I used a PVC stand that had a dowel for the motor mount. Really you could do it in almost any big parking lot away from anyone else. (But obviously not anywhere where security is an issue, like a mall or hospital.) Not far from where I currently live is a big park where I'm pretty sure I could find a place to paint without attracting much attention.

You really aren't doing anything wrong (don't trespass where there are private property signs or other warnings), so the most is someone comes out and tells you to move along. The actual act of painting just takes a few minutes, after that it's mostly waiting for the paint to cure.

I now own a home so I can paint in my backyard, or garage with the right precautions. But that wasn't always the case. When I was in college, I remember going to church parking lots during the week when no one was around. No one ever stopped and gave me any grief. Of course that was many years ago so today things may be different, but just an idea to think about.

Good luck,

Tony

Back