Where to get 54mm Snapring Casing Stock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketHunter

Reaction score
So I am in need of a Loki 54/4000 casing ASAP, but unfortunately it seems it will be 2-3 months until anymore are produced/available.

Thus, I am thinking of just making it myself (have access to lots of nice equipment to do it), however I can not seem to find the matching sized seamless aluminum tubing on any normal sites like McMaster, Speedy Metals, etc. - where do people get the raw tubing stock for 54mm snap-ring casings?

What you're looking for is 2" schedule 80 pipe, not tubing. Nothing about it is 2". It's size will accept the phenolic liners. The biggest problem you're going to have is that most of it is extruded. Which means it is dimensionally inaccurate. There will be tight spots inside. But the set of cases I made from it worked just fine after I cleaned up the ID of each case.

You will need a lathe.

onlinemetals.com ?

Nope - every metal site I've found skips from 2.00" OD right to 2.25" OD, right over the 2.125" for a 54mm case. It wouldn't even be that hard to turn down the OD, but none of the ID's match either.

Are there any good vendors who machine research casings who might have/know where to get the stock?

That's because you're looking at tubing. What you need is pipe.

It's industry. Of course there's a difference.

2" schedule 80 pipe is 2.38" OD, and 1.939" ID, nominally. Like I said, it is extruded, so that ID is going to waiver just a taste. Clean up the inside with a long boring bar, or a brake hone. You'll need to turn the OD down on the lathe, and leave a thrust ring. Then set up and adjust the steady rest, and cut your snap ring grooves.

Or take a piece to a machine shop, and have a heart attack when they tell you the quote.

I just looked up the specs on the Loki 54/4K. That pup is almost 44" long.

Ideally, you need to go to the pipe vendor, and select a piece of pipe. Take a liner, select a piece of pipe, roll it on a flat surface to find which end is straight, and test fit the liner. Cuz cleaning up the ID of a 44" piece of pipe will be a task. The stuff is extruded. Dimensionally, it's about as accurate as a fart in a tornado.

A big bore lathe will come in very handy for this. Got access to a big bore?

Could try talking to AG71 here and see if he has anything laying around still.

From what I gather, everyone seems to hate making 54mm cases and the best thing to do is order custom DOM by the ton

So I am in need of a Loki 54/4000 casing ASAP, but unfortunately it seems it will be 2-3 months until anymore are produced/available.

Thus, I am thinking of just making it myself (have access to lots of nice equipment to do it), however I can not seem to find the matching sized seamless aluminum tubing on any normal sites like McMaster, Speedy Metals, etc. - where do people get the raw tubing stock for 54mm snap-ring casings?

If Loki doesn't have it, Mike Fisher can supply it. He doesn't sell them on the website, but he did 2g, 3g, and 4g 54mm setups for me a few months ago. PM him on here or email him.

AG71 should be able to help you. If not PM me. I have a stash of real 54mm motor tube.

Tony

I just looked up the specs on the Loki 54/4K. That pup is almost 44" long.

Ideally, you need to go to the pipe vendor, and select a piece of pipe. Take a liner, select a piece of pipe, roll it on a flat surface to find which end is straight, and test fit the liner. Cuz cleaning up the ID of a 44" piece of pipe will be a task. The stuff is extruded. Dimensionally, it's about as accurate as a fart in a tornado.

A big bore lathe will come in very handy for this. Got access to a big bore?

Thanks for all the info! Yeah I guess if I absolutely have to go that route I will but seems like a real pain.

Have you looked at Loki website? He states it's in stock.

https://www.lokiresearch.com/secure/store.asp?groupid=521200312291168

Despite what the website shows he does not have any in stock.

Could try talking to AG71 here and see if he has anything laying around still.

From what I gather, everyone seems to hate making 54mm cases and the best thing to do is order custom DOM by the ton

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, he is all out and not planing to get any more.

Everyone, the Loki web store has been closed for a while now. Commercial items are to be sourced from Loki dealers and EX/Research item inquiries need to be emailed to me. I have been far too busy keeping up with the demand for product this year from both dealers and customers that I have not had time to maintain inventory, the website or the in-stock items shown there. So rather than fall short on expectations from online orders that I can’t keep up with, I closed the store. To me, this seemed to be the logical thing to do to keep most customers happy and not dissatisfied. What is shown on the web site is only for reference at this time.

I cannot guarantee that a 42.375” liner will fit in any other tubing over that much length. A 54/4000 case is used by the liner manufacturer as a fit gauge, so the liners are “made to fit” Loki spec tubing, literally. The tubing is also made to the tightest tolerances that are available. Sanding the liner down isn’t necessarily a good idea either. Coleman, I would ask that you try to be patient and understand that sometimes there are things that don’t go as planned. Such as,….I have over a dozen brand new 54/4000 cases and 20+ 54/2800 cases that were scratched by the plater, scratched too much to trust in use, let alone represent Loki Research quality. I have sold a handful that passed inspection and were sold, only after a discussion with the customer to explain things. The ones left that didn't pass, they will turn into shorter 54mm cases. I’m still waiting on the plater to make things right. I'm hoping I don’t get stiffed, but I've been waiting a while now.

New 54mm and 76mm tubing is scheduled to be shipped from the mill next Friday the 18th, arriving at the machinist’s shop the week of Thanksgiving. I do not foresee machining and plating going very quickly around two major holidays. I am not going to rush anything and risk something getting messed up. I estimate new 54 and 76mm cases in select sizes will be available by January.
Please be patient.
Thank you.

That's a good idea to shut down the store and allow your vendors to sell the product exclusively. Imagine going to a car dealer and having the manufacturer right next door, selling the same car.

Keep up the good work. Stay busy making cool motors!!

Last edited:
That's a good idea to shut down the store and allow your vendors to sell the product exclusively.

That isn't my intent at this point in time, it's just the current situation that works right now.
Sorry,.... there's a lot of thoughts and stress in my head that are hard to convey through a keybord often times.

Last edited:
Back