Where to fly? Ontario

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flare

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been bit by the rocketry bug after a few years doing spaceport america (and this year Launch Canada) at school and I've finally went and built myself a rocket that I should be able to get a CAR L1 and L2 on.

The question is, where do any of you guys actually fly? I know of the clubs in southern Alberta and in NB but those are a bit far from me (eastern ON). Is the Quebecois club active? I heard a rumour that they would have a launch sometime this fall but there does not seem to be any recent activity on their website. I also heard that there is allegedly an Ottawa area TRA club but they don't have a launch site anymore.

In the meantime I'll be flying some smaller rockets and test flying my L1 rocket on G motors locally.

The Quebec guys are active, I will pass on a contact via PM.

Their website is rarely up to date ..

Where are you flying G motors locally?

The Ottawa Rocketry Group is looking for a field but the pandemic has impacted the efforts.

Where are you flying G motors locally?

The Ottawa Rocketry Group is looking for a field but the pandemic has impacted the efforts.
I'm in Kingston so not that close to Ottawa. For Es through Gs you need a 300x300 m site according to the CAR safety code, there's a cluster of soccer fields near me that is large enough. I haven't flown a G there yet but plan on doing so next weekend if the conditions are good. To be completely honest it's not a perfect site for all Gs, I'm planning on flying a pretty low and slow rocket on a smaller end G to less than 1000 ft and wouldn't want to fly anything fast or high, or in anything above very light winds. For model rocket flights it is a decent location, but for a club launch, I'm not so sure.

They make a fine Raspberry pie at the 'Bread & Butter' bakery.. I get the wife to bring me back one every time she visits her family there! :D

keep your eye open for launches at either MARS or URRG down in NY. URRG likely has one of the best fields in the US north east! And their URRF event is legendary! :D

There are a few others in Kingston who fly.. Might be a thought to start a club there, just need to talk to a local or two! But with Trenton just down the road, altitudes may be limited..

Canada needs clubs!

CQF just announced that their october launch will be on the 15th-16th. I will be getting in touch with them and planning on going and getting my cert.

@Dipstick any chance CAR can help secure a site? seems there is a need (if I can use the term!) for a field or two along the 401 / between Kingston - Montreal - Ottawa. I know ORG are actively looking, and I believe we did discuss this in the past..

Last edited:
Do TRA or NAR exec actively search for fields for fliers? CAR/ACF exec does not have that in job description.

Field selection is 99.99% of the time a result of boots on the ground in the local area joining with a personal relationship between a flier and landowner. If ORG is looking they are going to be more successful than CAR exec members, just saying...

CQF just announced that their october launch will be on the 15th-16th. I will be getting in touch with them and planning on going and getting my cert.
Good to hear! They pull off some good launches and I think you will enjoy.

Hi all,

I've been bit by the rocketry bug after a few years doing spaceport america (and this year Launch Canada) at school and I've finally went and built myself a rocket that I should be able to get a CAR L1 and L2 on.

The question is, where do any of you guys actually fly? I know of the clubs in southern Alberta and in NB but those are a bit far from me (eastern ON). Is the Quebecois club active? I heard a rumour that they would have a launch sometime this fall but there does not seem to be any recent activity on their website. I also heard that there is allegedly an Ottawa area TRA club but they don't have a launch site anymore.

In the meantime I'll be flying some smaller rockets and test flying my L1 rocket on G motors locally.
Hope you find a Launch Pad!

@Dipstick any chance CAR can help secure a site? seems there is a need (if I can use the term!) for a field or two along the 401 / between Kingston - Montreal - Ottawa. I know ORG are actively looking, and I believe we did discuss this in the past..
ORG is a TRA prefecture, not CAR. It'd be great if a field could be found. I'm always hoping they would take a look south of the city of Ottawa, as there are so many large farm fields out there. The University of Ottawa Rocketry Team has launched out there, as one of the team knows, or is related to, a farmer out there. Lots of good land, but getting a willing participant landowner is always the challenge.

Back