Quantcast

Where to fly in Southeast Pennsylvania

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

solid_fuel

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I live near Philadelphia/Valley Forge PA. I am looking for a place that is rocket friendly nearby that I could launch some B-D motors. does any one know anywhere? what are the laws pertaining to rocket launches from parks?

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I can't answer the first part, but the second varies by state / county / town. Look up your local ordinances to see if Rocketry is specifically mentioned.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
You also have to drill down. It's easy to find that modrocs are legal in my state and in my county but the county delegates the use of parks to the parks department who won't let you fly rockets.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Not what you're asking, I know, but you are about a two-hour drive from MDRA. Check us out: http://mdrocketry.org/

For local laws, call your fire marshal and ask. If they don't seem to have a clue, ask them if they adhere to NFPA. In my community, I have often used a local sports field behind a public library, and no one has given me grief. Of course, if there are games or practices going on, then it's a no go.

jbuscaglia

Rusty-eyed Missile Man
Reaction score
I live near Philadelphia/Valley Forge PA. I am looking for a place that is rocket friendly nearby that I could launch some B-D motors. does any one know anywhere? what are the laws pertaining to rocket launches from parks?
Check out your local NAR club, PARA. http://www.para520.com/ They may be able to help you with the local regulations.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Welcome solid_fuel. In my youth we flew with permission at this field in Valley Forge National Park with "Mad" Anthony Wayne and the 1st Pennsylvania guarding our flank. I don't suppose that option is available any more. :grin: The RC aircraft flyers were in that area as well.

valley forge.png

I think you'll find each Parks and Rec department will set whatever rules they want but I've also found them to be reasonable if approached reasonably. +1 talking to the PARA folks as well !