Where to find HPR Mentors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicPenguins

Reaction score
Hello. I am going to be getting my Junior Level 1 Certification soon in NY. A school group of mine wishes to learn more about high-power rocketry soon (such as L3 rockets) and would like to gain experience in building them eventually. Where can one find mentors with L2s or L3s in their state that may be willing to mentor? Thanks for any replies.

Hello. I am going to be getting my Junior Level 1 Certification soon in NY. A school group of mine wishes to learn more about high-power rocketry soon (such as L3 rockets) and would like to gain experience in building them eventually. Where can one find mentors with L2s or L3s in their state that may be willing to mentor? Thanks for any replies.
The best place to start would be the club where you will be attempting your JRL1. Talk to the prefect, talk to the other participants at the launch. If the RSO isn't busy they can be very helpful as well. If there are several clubs within driving range maybe check out launches at different sites. Make friends here on the forum.

For L3 in particular, TAPs are listed on the member's section of the Tripoli website and will need to be contacted before even starting to build an L3 rocket, so a mentor is part of the application (technically 2). NAR I believe has a similar setup for L3.

If someone new has questions at our launches I can't think of a single person there who isn't happy to provide guidance, sometimes without even being asked for it, haha ;)

Pretty much just repeating what Steve said. Will your friends be accompanying you to the launch of your L1?

What others said above.
Plus, go to the NAR and/or Tripoli web site and click on find a club. Then look for ones close to you. NY state has a few and two I know of do HPR. In person is best way to get advice, second is READ the threads on this forum. If you have a specific item you what to learn about (say Dual Deploy) then use the search function and read. There is lots of good info here.

Last is to build up to HPR. A lot can be learned by building and flying smaller LPR. Then increase size into the MPR (E-G motors) to gain experience.

Where in NY are you?

you may also want to look outside the state, such as VT (2 clubs).. but you will have to travel to any you find..

This weekend's weather looks GREAT. Metra and CENJARS should by launching this weekend. Got a lot of new rockets to explode... errr... fly.

Back