Where To Buy 2-part Expanding Foam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m85476585

Reaction score
Anyone know where I might be able to find 2-part expanding foam locally? There is a launch this weekend, and I would like to have it early this week, so ordering it online is not the best option. I checked the local HobbyTown USA, but it's a small store and they don't have any.

I've got just a couple on the shelf but don't know where you are.

You should be able to get some from Giant Leap or Al's Hobbies out of Chicago (they ship).

Nevada, near Reno.

I found some at a boat store for $100 for a quart kit. For that price, I could have it shipped overnight from US Composites in Florida!

If I can't find any, I'll probably carve out some rigid polyurethane foam, styrofoam, or green florist foam. I'm using it to mount a camera in the payload section of one of my rockets.

Reno, Nevada...

That's not far from CA. Lotsa hobby shops in CA. would be my guess. Some serious Googling and a few phone calls and maybe some begging to said hobby shop owners might get that last set of bottles they have shipped to you ASAP.

I'm sure there's a set somewhere in Sacramento (2hrs away)or maybe even Stockton. Did you check Winnemucca? (2:20 away)

Pending on what you drive and how fast you drive it and how bad you need it, you could theoretically ship it personally to yourself via US-80.

Reno, Nevada...

That's not far from CA. Lotsa hobby shops in CA. would be my guess. Some serious Googling and a few phone calls and maybe some begging to said hobby shop owners might get that last set of bottles they have shipped to you ASAP.

I'm sure there's a set somewhere in Sacramento (2hrs away)or maybe even Stockton. Did you check Winnemucca? (2:20 away)

Pending on what you drive and how fast you drive it and how bad you need it, you could theoretically ship it personally to yourself via US-80.

I already had a block of florist foam, so I'm trying that. I sliced it into a cylinder with the altimeter bay, then I pressed the camera into it. It was too soft, though, and it kept losing little bits of foam, so I coated it in epoxy. It's still a little soft, so I'll see how it turns out tomorrow. If this doesn't work, I'll just stuff something all around the camera and make a more permanent solution before the next launch.

Green florist foam is REALLY soft and crumbly, as you found out. Even packing peanuts would be better than that. You could try cutting out sections of foam core board and making a support inside the bay for your camera with them.

MarkII

Maybe some blue foam insulation board from Lowe's or Home Depot?

The foam in a can is pretty unsuitable for rocketry use. It typically never fully sets in an enclosed sealed area like a nose cone. PML or Giant Leap 2 part is much better for this.

Al

The foam in a can is pretty unsuitable for rocketry use. It typically never fully sets in an enclosed sealed area like a nose cone. PML or Giant Leap 2 part is much better for this.

Al

Yep, but would be perfect for making some foam holders to secure a camera in a rocket, which is what I think hes trying to accomplish.

Back