Where should I start investing in cases?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M900R is 6 seconds. They've got long burns in nearly every case..... and seemingly the same spread of times as CTI. I'm confused....

I compared all the 76 to CTI 75 and your are right. Sry to mislead

I just looked at 98 and saw only 1 load but a large number of big burns on CTI, sry for the confusion.

hahahahahaha..
No way,,
Way,,
I'm tellin ya,,

Did you look at $ for Ns Nick.....

Teddy

Re: BAR's cert specials, I used the 29mm CTI special for my cert, mostly because I wanted to cert on a CTI motor. But it's not that great of a deal, because in 29mm CTI you need to purchase, at a minimum, the rear closure ring (in 38 mm all you need is the case). You'll need the DAT as well. The "Pro29 Starter Kit is", however, a great deal, and lets you fly all 29mm except the 6GXL. What I did to sort of justify this was to cert on a 4 grain CTI 29mm and buy the starter kit. That way I got a free 4G case that wasn't redundant with the 3G in the starter kit (this is actually nice because the 6G cases takes up a ton of length in my MDRM, which is what I flew for cert).

What you could do, since you've got the Mini Magg, is buy the Pro 29 starter kit and cert on an H or I 38mm motor. That would give you everything you need to fly CTI in 29mm and at least one size of 38mm.

Someone above pooh-poohed the Aerotech spacer systems, but I have them in both 29 and 38 sizes and I think they are great. Yeah, you may eventually want specific case sizes for specialty projects, but for someone like you who hasn't built out their HPR fleet, better to open up a variety of options cheaply. The 29 and 38mm "special sets" available at Wildman are a great deal - you get 2 cases, a rear closure, a seal disk, and the adapter system. Lets you fly most motors.

I compared all the 76 to CTI 75 and your are right. Sry to mislead

I just looked at 98 and saw only 1 load but a large number of big burns on CTI, sry for the confusion.

no worries. With hundreds of loads out there it's hard to track. I wasn't sure if I missed some new super long CTI stuff.

I totally went another direction. Madcow Formula 75. Wifey had some say in that one. Fiberglass will be more durable on future J rides.
I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to basically buy two 38mm cases for cert flights. I guess I'll roll with that and work my way around.
Unless some other ideas roll around.
I'm still not keen on motor adapting. In my mind I'm not doing the rocket any injustice....
How long does madcow take to ship anyhow?

(38/720 is one of the two cases)

Last edited:
One thing of note... the 38/720 is the case to fly the I600R. It is a nearly full I motor, and one of the biggest you can fly as an L1. It ships hazmat, but until you cross over into L2, it's a pretty badass motor. (that case also flies L2 loads. I certified on the J500G, and about a million people have on the J350W)

Been thinking of this for awhile now. Thanks for putting it into words :).

Been thinking of this for awhile now. Thanks for putting it into words :).

I recently acquired a 38/720 case with 54mm expansion closures..... PyroBob, and idea's on where I can get on of these I600 loads? The better question, how far are we going to need to go to fly it?

I recently acquired a 38/720 case with 54mm expansion closures..... PyroBob, and idea's on where I can get on of these I600 loads? The better question, how far are we going to need to go to fly it?

It's got punch, but shouldn't be too bad. In my 6 pound 4" rocket it got 2800' Its good at getting tanks safely off the ground. I believe it was designed for L1 bowling ball lofting contests.

I am ready to begin my certification adventure and I was looking at the LOC minnie magg for an L1\L2 bird but it is 38MM. I've noticed 38MM reloads carry higher costs and hazmat fees over many 29MM reloads. I could buy an adapter for my current case but I'm uncertain that I'd even want to venture into MORE 29MM cases.

just my opinion on this, but I suggest putting a 54mmt in the mini magg. that way it can be flown on anything from 29 through 54 mm motors. its pretty simple to build it to be able to add a chunck on body tode to make the rocket longer and more stable for the bigger motors.
as for where to start with cases?
yes.:wink:
the At 360-720 cases cover a lot of reloads

So...for my cert one flight I'm going with formula 75, 38/360 H550ST-14 EZ(drilled to 12.7654479)

Should be okay right? 3500 feet really isn't that high...one week from saturday.

Last edited:
I have flown my formula 75 many times on both cti and aerotech 38mm 3 grain motors , I tend to build my rockets a bit heavy and usually keep my delay closer to 10 seconds . It seems to work out about right for me , best of luck with your flight , Jim

If your buying a rocket kit a reload and a case all at once it may seem hugely expensive , you could opt for a single use aerotech motor . You can always go back and purchase cases , that being said if you have cert specials available to you that would give you a free case you REALLY need to take advantage of that !

So...for my cert one flight I'm going with formula 75, 38/360 H550ST-14 EZ(drilled to 12.7654479)

Should be okay right? 3500 feet really isn't that high...one week from saturday.

I would not drill it.. there is up to a 20% varience allowed for the mfg delays.. and i would use a smaller chute to allow it to drop a bit faster .

Kenny

That's a bit more aggressive cert flight get than I would have opted for, but it's your flight, so do it the way you want.

I'm not sure you are going to be able to drill the delay down to the exact nanosecond --- maybe to the second, at best. :wink:

Good luck!

Back