Where my Country music fans at?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.O.B.H.C.

Reaction score
How many of y'all are country music fans? Here are some of my favorite country songs.

Hank Williams, Jr. - That's How They Do It In Dixie

Alan Jackson - Good Time

George Straight - Check Yes Or No

Granger Smith and Earl Dibbles Jr - Holler

Carrie Underwood - All-American Girl

I'd say I'm a country music fan/lover but that might be a bit misleading. Specifically, I don't really have much taste for most of the mainstream stuff coming out of the commercial country industry these days, nor have I for quite a while. Most of the big name stuff that country fans cite generally leaves me cold at best, and a lot of it I actively dislike.

But I DO love country music. More along the lines of older mainstream stuff from the likes of Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Merle, and Hank (senior), stuff along the bluegrass/hillbilly side, and what I think of as more "authentic" modern stuff. I actually really like a lot of what's played on the "Outlaw Country" channel on Sirius/XM (especially Paula Nelson's, Elizabeth Cook's, and Steve Earle's shows).

See these posts from the "what are you listening to?" thread for samples:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-are-you-listening-to.170841/post-2429508
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-are-you-listening-to.170841/post-2429518 .

Hank Jr.? .......................... not much of a fan myself.
Hank III ......................yep, that's what I'm talking about.

s6

Mugs, you sure are posting a lot of tasty stuff.

s6

Glad you like it!

I grew up listening to country music, but like you, I really can't stand what the "mainstream" has been shovelin' out lately; reminds me of cleaning out the horse stalls. Just awful..

Fortunately, there is still a lot of great country coming out, just not out of Nashville!

I like stuff that tiptoes on country or takes a fair inspiration from classic country, bluegrass and americana bands/singers. I really dislike the modern era of bro/pop/rap country that is mainstream right now. Although I admit I'm looking forward to a country song about a guys AI truck who left him for another dude.

Yeah, new "country music", is not country at all. But, some of the newer artists are keeping classic country alive. Jaimie Johnson, Chris Stapleton, etc...
Gone are the days when, you hear a new song, and you could tell who was singing, just by their voice. Nowadays, they all sound the same.
And they either "sing" about how much they party, or how big of a Redneck they are.

Yeah, new "country music", is not country at all. But, some of the newer artists are keeping classic country alive. Jaimie Johnson, Chris Stapleton, etc...
Gone are the days when, you hear a new song, and you could tell who was singing, just by their voice. Nowadays, they all sound the same.
And they either "sing" about how much they party, or how big of a Redneck they are.
Autotune has ruined music in general. Everyone has perfect pitch now.

All right, I'll post it.
I wasn't going to, for a lot of reasons (offending some folks, attacking other's tastes which I generally try not to do, it's DEFINITELY NOT "safe for work", and it's got some language that even I have issues with), but it seems like a number of folk on this thread will "get it" and appreciate it. Apologies to those who don't.

I give you Hank III with his take on things (and note that this was recorded almost 20 years ago).....

I've been to many hundreds of shows, in all kinds of styles/genres, in my lifetime......I saw Hank III around the time this show was recorded, and it is still to this day one of the best ever.

s6

Back