Where is Fore Check?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that he moved to Louisiana :rolleyes:

And they don't have internet down there? I did a quick check and he hasn't reregistered here. Maybe Homeland Security thought his avatar was too much of a security threat.

Which brings up an interesting point . . . in the cyber arena, if something unfortunate was to happen to anyone (e.g. death) people may never know.

I Guess he stopped sniffin around TRF. I think I've seen him post on old rocket forum. Go over there and send him a PM.

See? I told you......

But noooooo......

You had to get his attention and now once again the overall property values will drop as if they opened a combination tire burning plant and spent fuel rod storage farm nearby...

See? I told you......

But noooooo......

You had to get his attention and now once again the overall property values will drop as if they opened a combination tire burning plant and spent fuel rod storage farm nearby...

You got that right... LOL

Welcome back! Yea, I was wondring where you'd been as well.... so, build anything while you were gone?

Maybe I should ask first if everything is OK?

I LIKE to burn TIRES !
I find that TOTALLY in line with MY environmental policy !!!
Don't like the fallout ? WEAR A MASK ! :gavel:
Nyuk, yuk, yuk !

Nice to see you back on the forum and I hope we get to fly together again soon. I think the last time we flew together was Tripoli Mid-Ohio back in Nov of 97, going to Mid-West power?
I remember all those great looking rockets you built with wood glue only.

I feel like I just came out of cryo-hybernation. I've barely paid any attention to rocketry since just before the lawsuit against the BATFE was won. Coincidentally, it was about the same time that Tripoli Mid-Ohio lost their field in Urbana.

So - What's a Force 5? :roll:

I feel like I just came out of cryo-hybernation. I've barely paid any attention to rocketry since just before the lawsuit against the BATFE was won. Coincidentally, it was about the same time that Tripoli Mid-Ohio lost their field in Urbana.

So - What's a Force 5? :roll:

Well, if you are so inclined to take a look, the build/discussion thread is here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=10102

Enjoy!

Well, if you are so inclined to take a look, the build/discussion thread is here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=10102

Enjoy!

I just read your build/launch thread, and it looks like you did pretty good to me. :cool:

I did something similar a few years ago based on an Estes Deep Space Transport. 167% upscale, BT70 central airframe, BT60 outboards, custom Roachwerks nose cone (balsa), PNC60AH on the outboards, balsa fins, cardstock end bells, Excelsior waterslide decals. The outboard motors are canted (which required some customization of the forward centering ring in the motor mount) and the rear, light ply rings really make the end bells rigid and sturdy.

I fly it with a 4 cluster of E9 engines (6 second delay on the mains, plugged on the boosters.)

I can't find the dad-gummed launch pics :)confused2:) but it's done great a couple of times. This was done before I started using PhotoBucket so their on a backup hard-drive somewhere.

I recover it on a 36" army surplus ripstop chute from FleaBay.

maxi_dst13.jpg

maxi_dst1.jpg

maxi_dst5.jpg

maxi_dst4.jpg

The canted outboards make for a cool smoke trail and launch pic. ;)

maxi_dstf1a.jpg

My only real comment from your thread is on the cluster ignition, and it might just be personal preference. I like to use clip whips, with multiple leads and a set of clips for each igniter, rather than trying to twist the igniter leads together. Whoever used the "extension wires" in that pic of the Tres Deux is doing basically the same thing.

My only real comment from your thread is on the cluster ignition, and it might just be personal preference. I like to use clip whips, with multiple leads and a set of clips for each igniter, rather than trying to twist the igniter leads together. Whoever used the "extension wires" in that pic of the Tres Deux is doing basically the same thing.

If you have been in "hibernation", as you say, for the last year and a half you may have missed quite a bit of progress in BP cluster ignition, in the form of the Quest Q2G2 igniters. I've only tried them twice so far, in clusters of three motors each, but I've seen them used in much larger clusters with 100% success. They're a true reliable wire igniter for BP motors, and they come in a long-lead version that should make ignition of any reasonably-sized cluster easy without having to have a clip whip. I'm inclined to stop using Estes igniters in clusters, as the Q2G2 is so much better.

Edit: Oops. I should have read the other thread before posting. But still, twisting wires together from Estes igniters is quite different from using the Q2G2s. But if your motors are too far apart, you need the extension wires either way, obviously.

Last edited:
Thanks for the "welcome back" - :)

Just to answer a few questions posed/alluded to above:

Everything is fine. Great, really. Went through a tough time about 3 years ago (lost my job in Iowa) but landed on my feet pretty quickly with my current job in Ohio. Moving sucks, and that was a pretty substantial upheaval to the whole rocket and social life. I got to launch rockets several times when I first got here and I was still in transition (living and working here, house unsold so the rest of the family still living in Iowa)

Then, right about the time we moved in the early part of '08, Tripoli Mid Ohio lost their feild which wasn't that far from me. Motor vendors at the launch were getting fed up with the whole LEUP nonsense that was enacted during the Lawsuit, and I had become pretty darn spoiled launching with the Quad Cities boys with Wildman on the sod farm. So most of my rockets and stuff is still neatly and securely packed in my Lab (see "Basement.") Lately I've been digging through the stuff and I'm starting to get that itch again. Know what I mean?

But it's strange - In my "hiatus" from Rocketry (in general) I've maintained my TRA membership (and thus my L2 cert) but I've found a new "mistress:" and no, it's not model railroads or trains. :roll:

Kites.

I've always flown kites, always wanted to build my own, and started doing so about 2 years ago. Turns out I'm pretty good at it (if I do say so myself, and I feel a little silly saying because I don't want to sound like I'm bragging) Anyways - I like it *a LOT.*

Check it out:

https://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8860

(Click on the video link in the first post there)

So - I'm still looking up, I'm just not giving a countdown prior to every look skyward (;)) I've got a couple of projects that are unfinished that I started prior to the move that I'd like to finish, namely a big Space Station Aquarius and a couple of Binder Design MPR kits. Then I've got *stacks* of decals and parts that I need to sort through and refresh my memory on what the heck I was planning. I think one of them was a big Estes Sizzler from way back in the day (was my first rocket.) I've already got the booster section of it built to (4" airframe, 54mm mount, dual deploy, all wood glue.)

Glad to see this place hasn't changed significantly (I see a LOT of familiar names and even Avatars LOL,) but all my old posts and pics are gone (just like everyone else's.) I've mellowed a bit; I no longer feel confrontational about a lot of things. Not that I was terribly confrontational before (at least I hope not) but I'm ripening to the idea that there is very little in any hobby that's worth arguing or getting all vehement or anything about. I'll offer my opinion (probably more often than you'd normally ask) but I really don't care if anyone agrees. Heck, if someone disagrees and offers a good reason, I might learn something - even if what I learn is that I just disagree with that person. I'm certainly no idiot, and I have *zero* patience for anyone that calls me one or treats me like one just because they disagree with anything I say or believe. Why would I think anyone would have patience with me if I pulled the same garbage?

Now....

Where's my Elmer's wood glue.....

Last edited:
Fore Check it's good to see you back. I always liked seeing your builds.

I know what you mean about getting the ITCH back, I was out of well everything for almost a year being is and out of the hospital.

Getting back to the hobby as well as life has been very satisfying!

Welcome back. I flew rockets for the first time in about 5 years last weekend. The best part about moving back home to FL from NC is that I have a better paying job, rocketry won the lawsuit, and Tampa now has a high power TRA field! It's like I woke up from some crazy nightmare. (Think Back to the Future 1 when Marty gets his truck.) I have a lot more restraint and have every intention of carefully selecting my builds. Good times. It's great to be back.

The DSP looks fantastic....

And Eugenefl... welcome back to you as well...

Geeze, it's like a family reunion around here....

Thanks for the "welcome back" - :)

Glad to see this place hasn't changed significantly (I see a LOT of familiar names and even Avatars LOL,) but all my old posts and pics are gone (just like everyone else's.)

You have been gone for a bit. Your posts aren't gone and neither are anyone else's. A while back we had a major server problem and the back up was corrupted. We (not me but some very talented others) managed to restart TRF and later repair and resurrect all the old data. You'll find all the old stuff if you click the "Archive" tab on the top blue bar.

Welcome. It's good to have you back.

Back