Where do you get your HPR kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
Just curious as to where everyone gets their HPR kits from?
I've used Madcow before and will probably use Wildman for my next build.
Are there lots of options? I'm just kind of exploring my options still.
Thanks!

Lots of options. So far my purchases have been several Madcow, a couple Wildman, and a Polecat. Purchased a set of parts for a scratchbuild from Madcow, and have my sights on another Polecat.

I buy wildman- but he's my local guy at the launches, and is good at selling me on stuff :) On the plus side, his kits work great for me (I have 9 of them).

Djs, do you have experience with the 54mm MD Blackhawk from Wildman?
That's the kit I'm looking at for my next build.

Djs, do you have experience with the 54mm MD Blackhawk from Wildman?
That's the kit I'm looking at for my next build.

not personally- but i've seen a few fly. Great kit if you're looking to fly MD.

Binder Design has some nice kits as well.

I don't know if they have stock since the move, but I also liked building my Giant Leap Vertical Assault.

There is a lot of different choices out there everything that was stated then some

Ive built Madcow, Wildman, and Binder. Have a LOC in line to be built.

Next will be a MAC or PML, depends on which tempts me more when it's time to buy.

Also don't forget Performance Hobbies. They have their own line of kits plus sell others I haven't seen available elsewhere.
Such as these guys: https://performancehobbies.com/secure/store.aspx?groupid=31920078512985
A 7.5" Big Daddy or Goblin, I mean come on!

And US Rockets. Don't know much about them.

So far I prefer the durability of fiberglass over the cardboard, especially when wet sanding and finishing, but I prefer the price and weight of the cardboard. Which is why I am headed to MAC or PML next, gotta find a mid-ground.

Mikey D

Is Hawk Mountain still out there? Expensive, but they give you everything (chutes, hardware, harnesses, etc.).

Next will be a MAC or PML, depends on which tempts me more when it's time to buy.

Also don't forget Performance Hobbies. They have their own line of kits plus sell others I haven't seen available elsewhere.
Such as these guys: https://performancehobbies.com/secure/store.aspx?groupid=31920078512985

So far I prefer the durability of fiberglass over the cardboard, especially when wet sanding and finishing, but I prefer the price and weight of the cardboard. Which is why I am headed to MAC or PML next, gotta find a mid-ground.

Mikey D

This is why I'm digging my Polecat. Fiberglass-wrapped cardboard tubes are strong but light, and reasonably priced. Just try to purge the memory of smoothing the body tubes when you're done with the build.

Mikey D

US Rockets is a builds kit my colossus goblin is one of his kits

I have rocket kits from Wildman, Madcow, LOC, Polecat, Estes, a one or two from minor or custom vendors. More Wildman and Madcow than any other company.

Mikey D

Thanks for flagging up the Performance Hobbies - I hadn't come across them before but will now browse at leisure. I see they do a FULL SIZE CF Nike Smoke kit for $5000 :jaw: (the draw drop is at the ambition of the kit, not the price)

...which naturally begs the question: has anyone built it..?

This is why I'm digging my Polecat. Fiberglass-wrapped cardboard tubes are strong but light, and reasonably priced. Just try to purge the memory of smoothing the body tubes when you're done with the build.

Yeah I have eyed their commander and 5.5" goblin ALOT. The filling has got me gunshy, and read some folks having problems contacting the Polecat guys. I'll get one, they just have to get in line.
I haven't bought a high power kit in a while, and my "gotta have it" changes regularly lol. I got a Tyrannosaur for Christmas., last high power kit I bought myself was well over a year ago.

US Rockets is a builds kit my colossus goblin is one of his kits

Yeah they have some really big kits as well.

Thanks for flagging up the Performance Hobbies - I hadn't come across them before but will now browse at leisure. I see they do a FULL SIZE CF Nike Smoke kit for $5000 :jaw: (the draw drop is at the ambition of the kit, not the price)

...which naturally begs the question: has anyone built it..?

Your welcome. It's what we pushers do - Feed your addiction. They have a good size HoJo as well I think. A few guys I fly with fly Performance Hobbies rockets. Pretty sure Bayourat has a Performer 150 that he regularly punishes with research Ms.

Last edited:
Binder Design and Giant Leap. both have great complete kits. Wildman has some great kits as well.

Check out the US Rockets stiletto has a 66mm hole with adaptor to 38mm ,54.29 and 3x29mm or the dream machine 66 same thing

Binder Design and Giant Leap. both have great complete kits. Wildman has some great kits as well.

Giant Leap seems to be having problems with inventory. Or maybe it's problems with updating their site. But they have been pretty much OOS on nearly everything since the move. Some stuff doesn't even show up on their site to say OOS.

YA few guys I fly with fly Performance Hobbies rockets. Pretty sure Bayourat has a Performer 150 that he regularly punishes with research Ms.

It isn't a performer 150, it's a 5" intimidator, that is from performance rocketry(pre rocketry warehouse, pre proline composites)...

It isn't a performer 150, it's a 5" intimidator, that is from performance rocketry(pre rocketry warehouse, pre proline composites)...

Ahh okay. I was almost close. I knew he said Performance something. My bad. I would say Andrew has a smaller (maybe performer 54) but I'd likely be wrong again.

I've bought from the manufacturers and I've bought from suppliers. Either way, I've been burnt at the border due to brokerage fees, more expencive shipping, and the occasional duties applied.

Manufacturers seem easier to deal with. Suppliers tend to add a mark-up.

I'll give a shout-out to Patel at https://www.allrockets.ca/ for "the north side" of the border! Best dealer in Canada so far!

I'm a big fan of Mad Cow, and Wildman. Mad Cow is local to me, and they're incredibly friendly and helpful. Their kits are top notch, and priced reasonably. I've picked up a few Wildman kits from Wildman West at the ROC launches. Their kits are also top notch, the service from Wildman West is top notch, and the translucent red fiberglass tubes that come with some of their kits is absolutely incredible when it's finished.

Giant Leap seems to be having problems with inventory. Or maybe it's problems with updating their site. But they have been pretty much OOS on nearly everything since the move. Some stuff doesn't even show up on their site to say OOS.

I checked their site today. you are correct. They only seemed to have 1 kit in stock, but they still had plenty of adapters and retainers. Too bad. I had excellent service when I had ordered my kit from them mid LY.

I've bought from the manufacturers and I've bought from suppliers. Either way, I've been burnt at the border due to brokerage fees, more expencive shipping, and the occasional duties applied.

Manufacturers seem easier to deal with. Suppliers tend to add a mark-up.

I'll give a shout-out to Patel at https://www.allrockets.ca/ for "the north side" of the border! Best dealer in Canada so far!

It depends on the supplier. Some do, some don't. The manufacturers have a suggested retail price and they generally sell at that price unless they have a sale (e.g., Wildman and Mad Cow have some very good "Black Friday" or "Black Saturday" sales).

Keep in mind that with the supplier, you get what you pay for. Apogee Rockets sells at manufacturers suggested prices, and occasionally higher. They never have sales. However they have phenomenal customer service and a good rewards program. A shout out too to AMW who are very personally close to their customers and will fabricate parts if they do not have them and they are able to. Robert DeHate is also both a TAP and a CC who can help you with your L3. He oversaw mine. A couple suppliers are now putting together kits, but for the most part, their components are coming from outside resources.

At the end of the day, the supplier is the point of contact that you will deal with most. Those who have good relationships with manufacturers are better adept at solving issues with them. Often times however to maintain good manufacturer relationships they have to hold the line on pricing. Same with motors.

After having been in the HPR hobby for this long, I would prefer a strong supplier who sells at higher prices than a weak supplier who sells at a discount. In the long run, you still get what you pay for...customer service included.

Latest posts

Back