where do you get your aerotech motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
im looking relentlessly for SU 29mm aerotech motors, this question is mainly directed to those in MA or in mid new-england. i want to know where the heck you guys get your aerotech motors from...i know of countdown, but they dont have EJ-F20's. PLEASE, give feedback, i want a couple for the next CMASS launch, i just got a new bird and i cant wait to fly her.

I should be getting in a limited shipment of EJ F20's this week. I'll have to compare what comes in with what I have reserved and I'll let you know if I have any left over.

Send me an email at: [email protected] and let me know how many and what delays you are looking for.

The Hobby Emporium in Tyngsboro (Nashua area) had some last week including the new F20s.

Lamar

If you are asking where ONLINE, then I get mine from Red Arrow Hobbies. They have great prices and I usually stock up when they have them in stock.

...Fudd

You might also try the Hobbytown in Plaistow. They still had some about 3 weeks ago. I haven't been to the one in Burlington lately, but they did carry a few ATs last year.

Lamar

Hobbytown USA in Plaistow NH usually has a nice selection of Aerotech motors. They usually stock the following; however you rarelly see all of this there at once; they sell them faster then they can get them in.. which is a good thing. That means they are more inclined to expand their line of Aerotech motors as soon as they get them :)

D13
E18
E18
E30
E16
F20
F40
F50
G35
G40
G64
and G80s

I also order from Performance Hobbies. He is now my favorite vendor. He really helped me out :)

Originally posted by r1dermon
im looking relentlessly for SU 29mm aerotech motors, this question is mainly directed to those in MA or in mid new-england. i want to know where the heck you guys get your aerotech motors from...i know of countdown, but they dont have EJ-F20's. PLEASE, give feedback, i want a couple for the next CMASS launch, i just got a new bird and i cant wait to fly her.

Hangar 11 probably has some in stock: https://www.hangar11.com/hangar11/

You can also check with CATO via Hospital Rocket. You might be able to pick some up at the CATO launch if he has some. CATO has an arrangement with Hangar 11 to act as motor vendor for their launches.

You could also put together a quick 24/29mm adapter and use F21s.

Yeah, Countdown was pretty slight on EJs when I stopped by last weekend. I bought 6 and that was about half of what they had. LOTS of RMS in stock though.

eHobbies.

https://www.ehobbies.com/rocketry-rocket-motors-aerotech-single-use-motors.html

I buy all my MPR & HPR motors from vendors like Dennis from New Horizons Hobbies who come onsite to support our launches--not to mention he does the same for quite a few clubs across the state of Florida. He has taken the time & effort to come onsite, so I show my appreciation by spending $$$ with him :D

the only thing with shipping is...dont F20's carry a 20 dollar hazmat fee? that would be 25 bucks a flight at the cheapest....i think i'll try hobbytown in plaistow....the one in burlington had nothing. i went there last week, not a single AT motor to be found. i'll definately check out plaistow though. thanks!!

no, no, no.

NO.

Any motor with 30 grams or less propellant SHOULD NOT be shipped UPS-HAZMAT. 30 grams and less can be shipped USPS Ground with no surcharge. If your supplier refuses to do so, switch suppliers.

the only thing with shipping is...dont F20's carry a 20 dollar hazmat fee? that would be 25 bucks a flight at the cheapest....i think i'll try hobbytown in plaistow....the one in burlington had nothing. i went there last week, not a single AT motor to be found. i'll definately check out plaistow though. thanks!!

If someone tries to charge you hazmat shipping for F motors, buy from someone who doesn't. To ship them via USPS requires a letter from USPS HQ authorizing it. Estes, Quest and Aerotech have obtained blanket letters of permission for all their distributors. Shipping must be by ground transport, but costs no more than any other package that weight. I got 2 two packs of F20s a couple weeks ago. Shipping was $3.85.

Don't generalize all F motors as shippable via USPS without a HAZMAT fee.

I have Aerotech's permission paperwork and it does not include, for example, F40, 52, 23, 25, 50.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Don't generalize all F motors as shippable via USPS without a HAZMAT fee.

I have Aerotech's permission paperwork and it does not include, for example, F40, 52, 23, 25, 50.

NAR needs to correct their documents about shipping motors then.

WHY?

https://www.nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf

What part of 30 grams was the document or my earlier posts unclear about?

Let's try this again:

30 grams is less than 62.5 grams.

motors with 30 grams or less of propellant are USPS mailable via ground only and only with appropriate paperwork/permission.

Not all F motors are 30 grams or less. Econojet F motors ARE. (Now you know WHY they are less total impulse - so they can be easily shipped to stores and consumers by shippers who comply with USPS regulations).

Estes E9 motor has more then 30 grams of propellant. most distributors get them in large truck deliveries to avoid huge UPS HAZMAT fees.

https://nar.org/SandT/NARenglist.shtml

Originally posted by DynaSoar
NAR needs to correct their documents about shipping motors then.

i took a trip up to hobbytown in plaistow...thank HEAVEN! they had my E30 and a couple packs of F20's, i'll definately be flying those next CMASS launch. there were three packs of F20's left, 2 F20-4W's and one 7W, and there was one E30-4T left, and boat loads of reload kits. thats my new favorite store. thanks doug, for the info!:cool:

thanks doug, for the info!:cool:

When that store first opened, they did not have ANY aerotech motors. I went their on their grand opening, and entered their drawing for a $100 giftcard. I won the giftcard, and I had them order some reloads for me. They asked if they doubled the order, do they think other people would be interested in the loads. I said certainly. I am glad I was right. It also helps with the fact that they are close to where we launch ;).

indeed. they told me that they dont sell many of them...i was like...HUH?!? amazing. if only i had known this. u going to the next CMASS launch? i'll be throwing my eliminator up on the newly acquired E30, and my Aura will make its maiden voyage on an F20. hopefully i can figure out how to create a makeshift engine block.
1 other question about aerotech motors, they say dont friction fit them...but i have no other way to restrain it from launching itself out my rocket, is it ok to friction fit it? or should i look into making an engine hook?

It is fine friction fitting them. Make sure you use regular masking tape. Do not use Blue Tape.

Use masking tape to creat a thrust ring on the aft end of the motor. That way you don't need an engine block.

I plan to be there... already have a J450 dry loaded, and the parts to repair the Super Glotova... I am still waiting for the I357 for the booster, and the I285R for my I-ROC.

I also got word that my new 390 nozzle is on its way... I may be putting an I130 in my I-ROC :D

saweeeeeeeet. cant wait to see that thing roar again. 8 more days...this will be my first composite flights other than a D21, hopefully all goes well, especially with the LOC. what i was really looking for was a couple G35's, but they only had the reloads at hobbytown. i guess i'll have to keep looking.

That Aura is going to rock-and-roll with the F20's. G35's would send it to orbit ;). If you need any help, look for the weirdo with the Super Glotova ;).

lol, i know who you are. i was down when it core sampled in the field. my name is Liam, i'll come and introduce myself once i see you.
yeah, the G35 i've heard/read sends it to 4500ft. which aint too shabby. and where that field is only accessable through CMASS launches, i'd like to get this bird SOARING while i have enough land area. the field that i launch small stuff at is no bigger than 2 football fields. so its definately a twice a month thing that just cannot be missed.

Latest posts

Back