Where do you buy sandpaper?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Power004

Reaction score
I have been using the Testors set of 5 different "grit" plastic-y sanding films. Is that what most people use? It seems like there's gotta be something better out there. I haven't been able to find anything fine enough for sanding rockets. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gator grit 320 grit sandpaper. i havent used it yet but it looks okay.i got it at lowes for 2.50

I usually get mine from Halfords when I buy paint. Halfords is a sort of auto parts & accessories store, not sure what the equivalent would be over-the-pond.

Any good hardware or auto supply has wet/dry sandpaper from 220 grit all the way to 1,000 grit.

Even finer if you want but I've never found a need for anything finer than 600 grit.

I use 36 or 40 grit for rough shaping nose cones.

sandman

I like to look for the best price I can get on a sleeve of 9"x 11" sheets from either one of your hardware suppliers or Automitive paint supplies. 32 to 120 grit in standard papers , 180 to 2400grit in wet/dry. usually 50 or 100sheets per sleeve. usually the same source will be able to supply 000 & 0000 steel wool, and scotchbirght pads in meduum (green) fine (blue) and Extra fine (black).
Some photo mount finsihing and scientific supplies carry mount polishing papers up to 48,000 girt. very nice cloth backed polishing material.
Add a bottle of 3m finesse-it scratch removing compound, you should be good to go;)

Both Kragen and Napa Auto Parts stores carry the fine-grit papers, and I've only used the ones up to 800-grit. I've got some 1200 designed for metal polishing that I picked up at Michaels, but have never used it.

WW

I mainly use Wasserfesteschleifpapier - a.k.a. wet/dry sandpaper from the local German hardware store, mainly 220 and 400 for wet sanding. I just bought a bunch of 3M wet/dry paper from Ebay but have not had the chance to use it yet. I also use a lot of steel wool in the 0 to 000 range.

Originally posted by Max_Power004
I have been using the Testors set of 5 different "grit" plastic-y sanding films. Is that what most people use? It seems like there's gotta be something better out there. I haven't been able to find anything fine enough for sanding rockets. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Max, I pick up the Testor's sanding films at Hobby Lobby for $2.00 & I like them very much. They are a good assortment for just about any sanding need. I like the size & flexibility.

I've noticed that the local hobby shop also sells this film-type sanders in various grits & maybe for a little less.

At Michael's the Testor's sells for $3.00 a pkg.

Ha! Funny you should ask... Just today, I was at Wally World
picking up sandpaper!

The 3M 9x11in packs of general purpose 60 / 150 were $1.87 each.
The 3M 9x11 inch multipack of 220-320-400 Wet-dry was $2.87.

You can find those in the paint department.

The 3M 3.5 x 9 inch packs of Imperial wet-dry P800, 1000, 1500 and 2000
grit were $2.96 each. These are in the Automotive section.

Each pack has five sheets and this usually lasts me many, many months
(especially the wet-dry).

HTH!

Originally posted by Max_Power004

Thanks!

Lowe's. I get packages of black GatorGrit paper in 220, 320, 400 and 600 grits. I've always used this and am well pleased. It could be used for wet sanding, though I've never tried.

I've also had good luck sanding unever/curved surfaces with wall sanding "sponges". They conform to tubes and such.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll head to Lowes and maybe Wal-Mart today. I like the sound of that Gator Grit. I looked at Home Depot and didn't find anything more than like 150 grit.:rolleyes:

150 grit is the finest they have? Wow. I use 150 grit to scare the children when they misbehave.

"Do as you're told or I'll make you sit next to the 150 grit sandpaper"

Works every time.

Another interesting and timely thread.

I've been looking locally for a "sleeve" or "box" of 400 grit sandpaper. I use 220 for rough shaping balsa parts, and 400 when sealing finishing. I use a *lot* of 400 grit relative to all other grits.

That said, I've checked Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local hardware store.

Lowe's and Home Depot only carry 400 grit in a pack of e sheets for $3 ($1 per sheet.) My local store has lots of 400 grit, but they only sell it as individual sheets for $1 sheet.

UGH!

I need an on-line source where I can get like 50 sheets or 100 sheets for a significantly better unit cost.

Try an auto body suppler.

We have a local one called AutoColor.

sandman

Fore check have you checked the auto stores?,, the home type stores (lowes and home depot) don't typically have a large assortment of what is basically metal / automotive type wet sanding paper..

I have seen (if I remember ) packs of 15 or so sheets in the various grit choices at the auto parts stores..15 sheets will last a very long time

Originally posted by stymye
15 sheets will last a very long time

Hmmm....

I guess that depends on who you talk to.

I'll use more than one sheet - sometimes up to 4 - on a single build. I even cut the full 8.5 x 11 sheet into smaller squares (like 2 x 3) so I can maximize the amount of area on the sheet that I can actually use.

It's the grit that I'm most comfortable with for sanding primer, paint, and especially balsa/sanding sealer. I use the most when sealing the balsa.

Originally posted by stymye
I have seen (if I remember ) packs of 15 or so sheets in the various grit choices at the auto parts stores..15 sheets will last a very long time

One sheet of 400 lasts me exactly one M/HPR bird or two LPR birds. Lacquer sanding sealer really gums up the paper, but the results are worth it.

As for Fore Check needing to get it in bulk quantities:

https://doityourself.com/store/wetanddrysheet.htm

9X11 Waterproof 400 [Contractor Pack of 25] by Ali Industries
Silicon Carbide Sandpaper Waterproof ``Gatorgrit`` 9`` X 11`` -Bulk Pack Grit = 400
sku: 3076544x25 Factory: Ali Industries # 3281
Retail Value: $17.95
DoItYourself.com Price: $12.50

Check out the shipping rebate. Buy 4 packs ($50) and get a $5.99 rebate on shipping, which should pretty much cover 4 packs of sandpaper.

Back