where do buy balsa lumber?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was wondering where some of you get your balsa lumber - not the sheets and sticks they sell at hobby shops, I mean the big chunks, like 2x4s for making nosecones and such.

I just bought a 3x4x36" hunk-o-balsa from a place called Constantine's Wood Center in Ft Lauderdale. Nice folks, quick ship to me here in IA. THey charged me $19.95 for the balsa.
Is that a good price or are there lower cost sources?

thanks sandman and styme!

SIG! why didn't I think of that! SIG is right here in Iowa too.
I used to buy stuff from them from my rather unsuccessful R/C airplane days. Never even occurred to me to go to them for balsa.

In my day job I am a web master for an electrical supply wholesaling business so I know a thing or two about web sites and You're right about their web site - they pretty much have tossed out the KISS principle there. What ever happend to 'user friendly'.

Maybe SIG and Estes need to find new web masters.:)

Styme, I looked at Balsa USA - holy cow! can those prices be right?
2x3x36" for $4.89!??? :eek:
Rats - I just paid $19.95 for a 3x4x36".

You'd think at my age I'd know enough to ask about this before buying, instead of asking afterwards. Coulda bought 3 or 4 of those blocks from Balsa USA for what I paid for this one. :(

Did anybody notice that 3x3 is the largest block available?

This is why I have to do "glue ups" for larger sizes.

sandman

96" long! 5" x 5" That is one humungus hunk-o-balsa!

That would make a lot of nose cones.

On the shipping detail I noticed that it will probably cost more to ship it than what the wood cost.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
96" long! 5" x 5" That is one humungus hunk-o-balsa!

That would make a lot of nose cones.

Or one really long one!!:p

On the shipping detail I noticed that it will probably cost more to ship it than what the wood cost.
sandman [/B ]
That is always the problem with buying some stuff like balsa online. I can get 2x2x12 chuncks at the local hobby shop for around $1.80 and 2x2x18 for $3.50. Occasionaly they have a 3x3x18 piece.

Back