Where can I find decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just ruined one of the waterslide decals that comes with the Estes Goblin I’m working on. I do like the stock design and I’d like to be able to finish it without having to order a new kit.

Is there a way I can print out my own or perhaps somebody has them for sale?

If it's the Semroc version, contact eRockets. If it's the Estes version, contact Estes. Might cost you a little, but you'll be certain that it's the right decals for your kit.

Yes, both the Estes and the Semroc are BT-55... And you should be able to print the decals on decal paper, but I don't have experience with that process.

and in answer to printing your own; yes there is decal material that you can print on (for both ink jet and laser printers, the two are NOT interchangeable).

You can either scan in your decals if you have any remaining on the sheet, or there is a scan of the decal sheet for the K-55 Goblin kit on the Jim’z Rocket Plans web site that you can download and print onto the decal paper.

Looking forward to seeing the finished build

and in answer to printing your own; yes there is decal material that you can print on (for both ink jet and laser printers, the two are NOT interchangeable).

You can either scan in your decals if you have any remaining on the sheet, or there is a scan of the decal sheet for the K-55 Goblin kit on the Jim’z Rocket Plans web site that you can download and print onto the decal paper.

Looking forward to seeing the finished build

I might consider this as well, if I can find the appropriate paper. I’d rather not have to wait around on shipping if I can avoid it.

But as far as the build itself goes, I think the quality is pretty crude. I’m just getting back into flying for the first time in over 10 years and I’m a little rusty.

Still, I’m learning new stuff and getting better with each project. I’ve got a Hi-Flier XL and a Star Orbiter out there somewhere with my name on it, I can hardly wait…

Just a couple WIP photos:

2 fins glued on and a completed but not-yet-installed motor mount. Ran out of CA glue and called it a night.

Bought more glue when Target opened the next morning. Airframe fully assembled, painting about to begin.

Primed and painted, but I made the rookie mistake of not sanding the primed surfaces since I was out of 400 grit, wrongly figuring it’d look OK without it. Broke down and bought the sandpaper and wiped all the fuzz off, hence the white spots with the primer visible underneath.

Painting finished today (no photo) and I was just getting started on the “3” decals when one of the 3s ripped while I was trying to get it off the decal paper. Oops.

Completed build will come in its own thread.

Attachments

• A8432B22-F2D7-41FC-8C9B-8EC75D91DC0E.jpeg
    A8432B22-F2D7-41FC-8C9B-8EC75D91DC0E.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 26
  • B162EA6B-423F-4F9C-B97A-0502F02CCA56.jpeg
    B162EA6B-423F-4F9C-B97A-0502F02CCA56.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 7C1CE620-1939-436F-BF55-D8C75FC21256.jpeg
    7C1CE620-1939-436F-BF55-D8C75FC21256.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I might consider this as well, if I can find the appropriate paper. I’d rather not have to wait around on shipping if I can avoid it.

But as far as the build itself goes, I think the quality is pretty crude. I’m just getting back into flying for the first time in over 10 years and I’m a little rusty.

Still, I’m learning new stuff and getting better with each project. I’ve got a Hi-Flier XL and a Star Orbiter out there somewhere with my name on it, I can hardly wait…
try calling Estes or forget the decal your ruin. My 10 year old Estes Black Brant II and Custom Elite... decals rip way too easy....so I just accepted it. Rocket does not have to be perfect...just flown.

Just a couple WIP photos:

2 fins glued on and a completed but not-yet-installed motor mount. Ran out of CA glue and called it a night.

Bought more glue when Target opened the next morning. Airframe fully assembled, painting about to begin.

Primed and painted, but I made the rookie mistake of not sanding the primed surfaces since I was out of 400 grit, wrongly figuring it’d look OK without it. Broke down and bought the sandpaper and wiped all the fuzz off, hence the white spots with the primer visible underneath.

Painting finished today (no photo) and I was just getting started on the “3” decals when one of the 3s ripped while I was trying to get it off the decal paper. Oops.

Completed build will come in its own thread.
I do not always sand primer,, unless you have sandable primer..I believe it is unnecessary, so it is not a rookie mistake.

I do not always sand primer,, unless you have sandable primer..I believe it is unnecessary, so it is not a rookie mistake.

I understand your points, I just like to be a bit of a show-off. Why settle?

I’d also like to get into high-power and flying scale, so craftsmanship and presentation matter to me.

I understand your points, I just like to be a bit of a show-off. Why settle?

I’d also like to get into high-power and flying scale, so craftsmanship and presentation matter to me.
Great, just take your time and realize , rockets are meant to fly and 39 foot rule is fine.

I like to print my own. I made a clone of the Goblin. The difficulty is figuring out the dimensions of the decals. It helps when the scans include a ruler. Sometimes the scans are not to scale. The pdf is better. Most software will print a photo to full scale. I use clear decal paper from Amazon. Sometimes I use white decal sheets. For inkjet, I spray three layers of clear over the decal. I tried laser once but my printer only is in B/W.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-55.pdf
I added a couple inches so I can include a Qualman baffle.

Last edited:
try calling Estes or forget the decal your ruin. My 10 year old Estes Black Brant II and Custom Elite... decals rip way too easy....so I just accepted it. Rocket does not have to be perfect...just flown.
Having a rocket survive 10 years of flying is an alien concept to me.

Spent a half hour on Sunday snapping branches & climbing 25 feet up a pine tree to recover my lil' Nike Smoke--that rocket will survive it's first birthday if takes everything I've got!

They must have different trees in NJ. Ours demand regular feeding. My oldest surviving rocket is still a toddler in human years...

Got the supplies. Going to try printing tomorrow.

Thanks to Bruiser for sending me the design, I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 66BDFE94-2909-490F-964C-ED0744901E64.jpeg
    66BDFE94-2909-490F-964C-ED0744901E64.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 14
A few weeks ago I emailed Estes customer support requesting a replacement set (this was before I completed the rocket with the printouts).They arrived today, and they came on a nice white background, ideal for making a scan, especially for that Estes logo. If anybody wants or needs them, for any purpose, send me a DM and I'll hook you up. Or if the forum mods approve, I can post them directly here.

Been doing the decal dance again.

While I’ve learned and applied a few lessons from my last build where I actually went to the trouble of applying decals (a Star Orbiter almost a year ago), I came close to messing up a big one on my most recent build and I’m looking around for some new techniques.

Speecifically:

• I figured out how to print replacements and spares long ago, but these ones are tricky because they have white parts. Has anyone ever attempted printing such decals? How much success did you have? Are you currently kicking around ideas for improvements to your technique?
  • Is there an easy way to edit a scanned image file and turn the blue of the typical Estes backing paper white? Or is there a way to get a printer to ignore the blue and leave those unused regions blank?
  • Might I be able to transfer decals to a white surface, scan them there, and still apply the originals to a rocket without the glue (I’m assuming there’s a glue of some kind?) wearing off too much? If so, what surfaces might be workable?

Been doing the decal dance again.

While I’ve learned and applied a few lessons from my last build where I actually went to the trouble of applying decals (a Star Orbiter almost a year ago), I came close to messing up a big one on my most recent build and I’m looking around for some new techniques.

Speecifically:

• I figured out how to print replacements and spares long ago, but these ones are tricky because they have white parts. Has anyone ever attempted printing such decals? How much success did you have? Are you currently kicking around ideas for improvements to your technique?
  • Is there an easy way to edit a scanned image file and turn the blue of the typical Estes backing paper white? Or is there a way to get a printer to ignore the blue and leave those unused regions blank?
  • Might I be able to transfer decals to a white surface, scan them there, and still apply the originals to a rocket without the glue (I’m assuming there’s a glue of some kind?) wearing off too much? If so, what surfaces might be workable?
For the Exocet, I used white background decal sheet. I used the magic brush in "paint.net" to change the background of the decal file to black and the foreground to clear. This invariably leaves a white border around the edge which I touch up with a black Sharpie. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your

1667553230617.jpeg

Picture1.png

Back